Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nebell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Yes please Apple.
Slimmer bezel, 8.5" - 9" screen size and 120hz, M1/M2 chip and 8gb of ram.

iPad (non-Pro) is not a bad size but it's a budget tablet.
iPad Pro 11 is too big. iPad Mini is almost the best thing ever, just a tiny bigger size and even higher end specs would be great.
It's great for gaming and while A15 is very high end and beats even top Snapdragon, it still isn't able to max out Diablo Immortal since it does sometimes have fps drops.

I'd pay the same amount of money for it as for a similar specced yet larger screen iPad Pro. And I'm Android person!

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Doubt it will happen given the delay between the Mini 5 and Mini 6. Additionally, Apple getting rid of the Mini iPhone could be insight to the Mini iPad especially if Apple releases a 14" iPad. Consumers will adapt to bigger tablets and the true tablet format as we know it will be gone just like phones. Apple didn't care about small phones and they'll dump small iPads as soon as they can.

Most we could hope for is the Mini iPad getting an OLED display, which I much prefer over the terrible response times their miniLED displays have that use "promotion" as a crutch.

Nebell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
Doubt it will happen given the delay between the Mini 5 and Mini 6. Additionally, Apple getting rid of the Mini iPhone could be insight to the Mini iPad especially if Apple releases a 14" iPad. Consumers will adapt to bigger tablets and the true tablet format as we know it will be gone just like phones. Apple didn't care about small phones and they'll dump small iPads as soon as they can.

Most we could hope for is the Mini iPad getting an OLED display, which I much prefer over the terrible response times their miniLED displays have that use "promotion" as a crutch.

I don't think iPad Mini will face the same fate small iPhone did.
That iPhone is too small. iPad mini is just a small tablet. And since there's literally no competition in high end 8-10" tablet space, Apple can charge whatever they want and people like me will buy it.
I had iPad Pro 11 with M1 chip. I also had Galaxy Tab S8+. I sold both because all I did was carry it from bed to toilet and back. iPad Mini 6 I can put inside my jacket and carry around without having to throw it in a bag.

Reactions: coachingguy

aok75

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2021
What would be the point of it? People who do pro work would never use an iPad mini, the screen real estate is just to small for productivity.

Nebell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2022
What would be the point of it? People who do pro work would never use an iPad mini, the screen real estate is just to small for productivity.
Plenty of uses that do not cater to "business productivity type". Like gaming and on the go image editing (I'm a photographer).

Or are you saying there's no point to iPhone Max Pro because it has a "Pro" in its name?

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Would love one of these as well. I’d settle for just an M1 version at this point, so I could have access to the full iPad experience.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

aok75

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2021
Plenty of uses that do not cater to "business productivity type". Like gaming and on the go image editing (I'm a photographer).

Or are you saying there's no point to iPhone Max Pro because it has a "Pro" in its name?

Yeah but the market for what it would cost is minuscule.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I too will like a iPad Mini Pro

But thinking over the fact the iPad Mini is already horse powered enough to run hence all apps will make me feel a little ungrateful for wanting more

If it ain't broke don't mess with it

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
I would also love an iPad mini pro. M1 for the software updates would be nice, But truly I just want that sweet sweet 120hz (and OLED!). The screen is the only thing holding this back from being a perfect device. The pros have better hardware across the board, but the form factor of the mini is truly unbeatable (and why I choose this over the larger iPads, despite the inferior hardware). Sadly, I doubt this will happen anytime soon. We will probably just have to wait for the better hardware to trickle down the line over the next few years, instead of getting a true “Pro” device

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
An M1 iPad Mini Pro would let people use full Stage Manager on an external display while enjoying the best portability on the go. Plus the higher quality promotion screen would have no jello scrolling.

Reactions: coachingguy

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The issue would be price. Even now it’s £600 for 256GB model and that’s without pro motion. If they did a pro model my guess it would be £700-£800 which then becomes very costly.

Reactions: stanza.richi

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The issue would be price. Even now it’s £600 for 256GB model and that’s without pro motion. If they did a pro model my guess it would be £700-£800 which then becomes very costly.
Apple could price the Mini Pro like the 11" Air. Then people would choose between the better screen and speakers or the larger screen. Kind of like people choosing between the new 11" Air or a refurbished 11" Pro. Price conscious people would choose the less expensive, regular Mini.

Apple is rumored to drop the iPhone Mini because it doesn't have good enough sales for Apple so the question is whether the Mini Pro would have good enough sales for Apple to consider it worthwhile.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Just not an enough market to have both a pro and non pro mini IMO. However as priced now the mini isn't an entry level device now anymore either. So I'd just like to see more pro features added to it, especially screen improvements!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apple could price the Mini Pro like the 11" Air. Then people would choose between the better screen and speakers or the larger screen. Kind of like people choosing between the new 11" Air or a refurbished 11" Pro. Price conscious people would choose the less expensive, regular Mini.

Apple is rumored to drop the iPhone Mini because it doesn't have good enough sales for Apple so the question is whether the Mini Pro would have good enough sales for Apple to consider it worthwhile.

I think it’s more likely for the hypothetical iPad Pro mini to cost more than the base Air 5 (say around $699 for Pro mini with 128GB base storage).

Last sales statistics I saw, the mini already had the lowest sales among the iPads (iirc, 57% iPad, 19% Air, 17% Pro). Extrapolating from that, mini share is around 7%. Going by these statistics, seems like a Pro mini would only have 1-2% market share. I’m guessing Apple has decided there’s not that big of a market for a higher priced Pro mini.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think it’s more likely for the hypothetical iPad Pro mini to cost more than the base Air 5 (say around $699 for Pro mini with 128GB base storage).

Last sales statistics I saw, the mini already had the lowest sales among the iPads (iirc, 57% iPad, 19% Air, 17% Pro). Extrapolating from that, mini share is around 7%. Going by these statistics, seems like a Pro mini would only have 1-2% market share. I’m guessing Apple has decided there’s not that big of a market for a higher priced Pro mini.

Much as I'd like the better features on the Mini, I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium price for them (I have the Mini 6). I would rather put the additional dollars into a larger screen Pro model like the 2021 12.9 that I have.

Reactions: rui no onna

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I don't think iPad Mini will face the same fate small iPhone did.
That iPhone is too small. iPad mini is just a small tablet. And since there's literally no competition in high end 8-10" tablet space, Apple can charge whatever they want and people like me will buy it.
I had iPad Pro 11 with M1 chip. I also had Galaxy Tab S8+. I sold both because all I did was carry it from bed to toilet and back. iPad Mini 6 I can put inside my jacket and carry around without having to throw it in a bag.
The mini does have a following and like many items in Appleland, they are not always positioned well or are demoted inf favour of some other item to be promoted. I am unsure if an M1 would really work well given the heat dissipation challenges. Let's hope for the best. Of course it would be interesting to see them get gutsy and make one that is in fact more an iPhone than tablet at that size.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Much as I'd like the better features on the Mini, I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium price for them (I have the Mini 6). I would rather put the additional dollars into a larger screen Pro model like the 2021 12.9 that I have.

I’m willing to pay the regular upcharge for 512GB storage but yeah, I also think the mini 6 is already expensive as it is. I don’t really want a $200 higher base price unless they make 256GB base.

Reactions: sparksd

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I’d love to see a Mini with:

Improved screen
Improved camera
Improved speakers

Otherwise already an excellent device.

I think my last few posts are all relating to the Mini. Start sounding like a broken record. :)

Reactions: phrehdd

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
iPad Mini is already the same price (more or less) as a M1 Air, so why not add the M1 chip, continue at the same price and have done with it? Give us the "Pro" features for the new iPad OS and leave it up to us to decide if we want to upgrade to a larger screen or stick with what we have, but with the features we deserve.
It's not exactly priced like a base model, so why treat it like one?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPad Mini is already the same price (more or less) as a M1 Air, so why not add the M1 chip, continue at the same price and have done with it? Give us the "Pro" features for the new iPad OS and leave it up to us to decide if we want to upgrade to a larger screen or stick with what we have, but with the features we deserve.
It's not exactly priced like a base model, so why treat it like one?

I expect M1-level chipset is an eventuality. The question is when they’ll get power and thermals down to a level suitable for the iPad mini.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
0522F84F-F34D-47C6-ACC1-EDC0752763AA_1_201_a.jpeg

I take my Mini6 flying and its the perfect size as an electronic flight bag. Used to carry an 11" Pro but it's too massive. I could even have my iPhone up there, but then would need a slightly bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.