Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abw2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
The new Lock Screen configuration options on iOS 16 are fantastic. Why does Apple treat the iPad as a 2nd class citizen and not offer this there also. Seems like Apple does this a lot. (Unless it is planned when it actually releases later.)

eilavid

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
it's coming to ipados 17 for sure. this happens sometimes, dark mode premiered on macos and came to ios/ipados a year later. the same thing will happen here

Reactions: v1ctorS

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Home Screen widgets were added in iOS 14, but came to iPad on iPadOS 15. Could be something similar here, probably has to do with scaling things up to the bigger sizes.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
It will come to the iPad, most likely. The app library was also late to the iPad. Don't worry, Apple will also destroy notification center on your iPad soon enough.

I haven't checked notifications all day today on the iPhone, it's so tedious to do it now. My work-life balance has improved and I have been less distracted.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is it somehow possible to modify an existing (from pre-iOS 16) lockscreen? I only get the option to create a new one. It would make it easier for me, since I have trouble finding the original background photo.

coolaaron88

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is it somehow possible to modify an existing (from pre-iOS 16) lockscreen? I only get the option to create a new one. It would make it easier for me, since I have trouble finding the original background photo.
No, unfortunately you are unable to do that.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I installed iPad OS 16.1; this is my first time doing it (i.e., I wasn't a beta tester). I'm surprised that the lock screen features is nothing like what the iOS 16.x offers! Seems a bit of a disconnect. Am I missing something?

Reactions: fatTribble

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Can we change something here or I am pressing screen like a monkey expecting a banana from pine?
Right?!?

I'm trying to change that ugly font on the iPad lock screen and can't.

On iOS 16, that blocky font is one of the options for the lock screen, but not the only one. I'd like my iPad lock screen at least match the font used across all my devices! (Ok, ok, this is piddily stuff, I agree....)

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Right?!?

I'm trying to change that ugly font on the iPad lock screen and can't.

On iOS 16, that blocky font is one of the options for the lock screen, but not the only one. I'd like my iPad lock screen at least match the font used across all my devices! (Ok, ok, this is piddily stuff, I agree....)
Precisely the same thing I have in mind. Let me at least get damn font the same as on iPhone. These SW were release at the same time, developed parallely and from the same company…

Really, what I have to press there to change it? 🤣

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I installed iPad OS 16.1; this is my first time doing it (i.e., I wasn't a beta tester). I'm surprised that the lock screen features is nothing like what the iOS 16.x offers! Seems a bit of a disconnect. Am I missing something?
Umm.. I have a better question. Did you watch the WWDC keynote or any news surrounding it? You could easily looked here to give you an understanding of what features iPadOS 16 included.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Umm.. I have a better question. Did you watch the WWDC keynote or any news surrounding it? You could easily looked here to give you an understanding of what features iPadOS 16 included.
I watched the keynote multiple times and read all of Apple’s tech details about iPadOS and read the Apple forums. I missed that iPadOS doesn’t have the new Lock Screen customizations.

ww1971

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
I do not like the current font of the tims in the lock screen on iPad. It’s too dark and I could not see it properly. It’s disappointing there’s no option to change the font in the Lock Screen. It’s ok on iPhone but not so good on iPads.

ww1971

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Hopefully, they will introduce at least font changes in iPadOS 16.2...

i hope so. I needed brighter thicker font to tell the time on ipad Lock Screen as the dimmed font of time is too hard to see. It’s fine on IPhone and Apple Watch but they needed to extend that to iPad.

Reactions: SactoGuy18

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’m just confused by Apple’s direction to sync up iOS, iPadOS and macOS then leave off such an obvious and frankly low tech feature from iPad. To make it worse, as others have said, why change the font of the time on iPad? Why not leave it alone until we can customize it.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I’m just confused by Apple’s direction to sync up iOS, iPadOS and macOS then leave off such an obvious and frankly low tech feature from iPad. To make it worse, as others have said, why change the font of the time on iPad? Why not leave it alone until we can customize it.
Totally agree. Being able to change the font typeface, in my opinion, would be the minimum that Apple should have ported over to the iPad OS 16.1 in order for people's devices to look the same. I hate that default block font -- very ugly.

Reactions: rovex and Ericplan

Ericplan

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
Amsterdam
It looks like they have forgotten to make this feature available for iPadOS. For me it is no reason to downgrade, but I do find it annoying.

Reactions: rovex

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011

Might be the OCD in me, but the fact the battery indicator and wifi symbol are brightly displayed doesn’t match the dim time font is driving me crazy

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I - perhaps rather foolishly - expected the same lock-screen functionality on my iPad with iPadOS16 as I have on my iPhone with iOS16.

I was rather disappointed that this was not the case. Why not?
I hear ya. While I was disappointed, I was actually shocked that Apple did not allow change of font typeface so that it would match my iPhone lockscreen typeface.

PeeWee1963

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2020
If you preview widgets in Xcode 14.2, then select iPad Pro 12.9, you will see lock screen widgets on the iPad - the circular widget too big, misaligned, the rectangular only slightly misaligned. So it could be no big act to bring it to iPadOS 16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.