Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
The new models with OLED should be released soon, so you won’t have to wait too long.

Do you use an OLED monitor or Windows laptop? MacBooks have a similar response time as iPads.
I use an LG 4K monitor with my MacBook Pro , After I made the transition to 120Hz with the iPhone 13 Pro , I just assumed that using a 60 Hz monitor would be difficult but it wasn’t the case , then I figured my monitor has an excellent response time. But yep I will pick up the M3 iPad Pro

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Whenever I try to see if others experience something, I put a question somewhere along the lines of, "Is anyone else seeing this?" or "Is it just me?" :p

But honestly, if it bothers you this much, I assume you're still in the return period, no? Just return it. Apple are apparently quite good with the "no questions asked" thing.
If you kept it beyond the return period despite it bothering you... well, then selling is your only option, I guess.
Apple doesn’t have a return option in my country sadly.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I don’t think it bothers as many people as it should, honestly expected far better from Apple. Can’t use it to read , it’s that nauseating. I guess I will sell this and buy the M3 iPad Pro when it arrives next month .

Also , I did try the Galaxy tab since someone who mentioned this issue on Reddit talked about selling his iPad Pro to buy one. The response time on that was Incredible, Even far better than the iPhone‘s. There was no trailing text at all. I cant imagine a better response time than that , if it does improve it would be indiscernible. I don’t see my self using a Samsung though, even if it has the better display the UI , OS and Size are just obnoxious.
I did have a messaround with my M1 11" pro (2tb, cell) today and its not as bad as in the video that you posted.
Not sure its a different screen on the M2 or if the video makes it look worse than it is.

I don't have an OLED tablet to compare it to, but did the similar test on my 13PRO and that does look a lot smoother than the iPad.
I know it makes sense cuz its an OLED screen. But both techniques has their pros and cons.

Last edited:

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
I did have a messaround with my M1 11" pro (2tb, cell) today and its not as bad as in the video that you posted.
Not sure its a different screen on the M2 or if the video makes it look worse than it is.

I don't have an OLED tablet to compare it to, but did the similar test on my 13PRO and that does look a lot smoother than the iPad.
I know it makes sense cuz its an OLED screen. But both techniques has their pros and cons.
That’s interesting , I really hope I didn’t receive a defective screen. Although I doubt that given I’m not the only one who feels it.

I do see some motion blur with my 13 Pro. It’s not enough to cause any eye strain. yes, both the M1 and M2 use the same display.

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
That’s interesting , I really hope I didn’t receive a defective screen. Although I doubt that given I’m not the only one who feels it.

I do see some motion blur with my 13 Pro. It’s not enough to cause any. yes, both the M1 and M2 use the same display.
Its still there, just not as bad as on the video you posted, the video might enhance the effect making it look a bit worse than it is.
I did mess around with disabling promotion to see if it makes a difference, there is a slight difference but not much. But, vertical scrolling looks better, or maybe not better but clearer when promotion is off. It stutters more but that makes it more readable.

Maybe this is in the nature of LCD screens or maybe we are noticing it even more now when we have OLED to compare to? I'm remembering the days when trying to watch a soccer on the first gen LCD TVs was almost impossible due to slow responsetime.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Its still there, just not as bad as on the video you posted, the video might enhance the effect making it look a bit worse than it is.
I did mess around with disabling promotion to see if it makes a difference, there is a slight difference but not much. But, vertical scrolling looks better, or maybe not better but clearer when promotion is off. It stutters more but that makes it more readable.

Maybe this is in the nature of LCD screens or maybe we are noticing it even more now when we have OLED to compare to? I'm remembering the days when trying to watch a soccer on the first gen LCD TVs was almost impossible due to slow responsetime.
I believe it’s a combination of the two, 120Hz + Low Refresh Rate LCD screens making the scroll seem fuzzy .

I’ll see how the screen looks without pro motion , defeats the purpose though tbh.

just tried it out, it’s both choppy and blurry with the frame rate limited 🥲

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I believe it’s a combination of the two, 120Hz + Low Refresh Rate LCD screens making the scroll seem fuzzy .

I’ll see how the screen looks without pro motion , defeats the purpose though tbh.
Absolutely, it was more to test what it looked like. I turned it on after cuz its a noticeable difference. Promotion on makes quite a difference when you are used to it. As far as I remember promotion is also related to the touch input, not only screen refreshrate.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Absolutely, it was more to test what it looked like. I turned it on after cuz its a noticeable difference. Promotion on makes quite a difference when you are used to it. As far as I remember promotion is also related to the touch input, not only screen refreshrate.
just tried it out, it’s both choppy and blurry with the frame rate limited 🥲

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
As far as I understand the 11“ M2 < 13” M2 < 11” & 13” M3 screen in terms of quality . I’m kinda excited to see how much better the new screens are going to be

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The battery indicator in your video is yellow, meaning you have low-power mode enabled. This disables the high refresh rate feature (Promotion).

Turn off low-power mode and your display will perform a lot better.
Good advice.

He doesn’t have Low-Power mode on, tho. Looks pretty green to me.

IMG_0444.jpeg

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
In post #2 when OP posted that the video the description of "here's a video that someone put up on reddit" infers that the video wasn't theirs.

Reactions: Populus

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
I have the M1 Pro 11 and I love the device. Absolute great screen.

Some seem to like clickbait headlines it seems.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I have the M1 Pro 11 and I love the device. Absolute great screen.

Some seem to like clickbait headlines it seems.

You never know. I think blooming and jelly are clickbait too, but a lot of people complain about it. Perspective, I guess.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I don’t think it bothers as many people as it should, honestly expected far better from Apple. Can’t use it to read , it’s that nauseating. I guess I will sell this and buy the M3 iPad Pro when it arrives next month .

Also , I did try the Galaxy tab since someone who mentioned this issue on Reddit talked about selling his iPad Pro to buy one. The response time on that was Incredible, Even far better than the iPhone‘s. There was no trailing text at all. I cant imagine a better response time than that , if it does improve it would be indiscernible. I don’t see my self using a Samsung though, even if it has the better display the UI , OS and Size are just obnoxious.
Nauseating? How old are you? Displays have never been better than they are today.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Apple can not please everyone. If the OP can not stand it, return it and move on with life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.