Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Hi there, my brand new iPad Pro 11” 2021 has developed a single hairline crack without any visible point of impact at the frame.
I have NOT ever drop my iPad or even move it out of my house, and more specific my desk work office.

My iPad Pro was bought brand new at 17/06/2022 and developed this hairline crack at 27/07/2022.

I sent my iPad at Greece’s Authorised Service Provider iStorm and they denied that my iPad Pro is covered under 1 year limited warranty without giving me any written report or explanation further, just called me and told me that it's not covered! This is unacceptable.

It is clear that this problem is covered by Apple’s 1 year limited warranty cause it’s a manufacturer defect / flaw .
Since there is NOT any point of impact in screen and frame, this issue CANNOT be considered an accidental damage.

Note that there is not an official Apple Store in my country, Greece.

What more should I do to get my iPad Pro replaced under Apple's 1 year limited Warranty ?
It is clearly that this issue is covered under Apple's 1 year limited warranty, I have called official Apple support of my country Greece and the informed they are gonna investigate further what Authorised Service Provider technician diagnosed for my device, but they said that since they register my device is out of warranty there is not much they can do.

They said though, that I can send my iPad Pro to another Authorised Service Provider of my country but is very unlikely that is gonna be replaced . .

Note that my iPad was running iPadOS 16 Developer Beta, but this does not void warranty.

I have read on Internet, multiple similar cases got replaced under 1 year limited warranty on Apple Stores.

Could I raise an objection to a higher authority HQ technician, is there such a way ?? or I should travel abroad to a physical Apple Store ?

Attachments

• iPad_Pro_11''_2021_scratch_bottom_left_02.jpg
    iPad_Pro_11''_2021_scratch_bottom_left_02.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 863

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
you probably have 60 days to add Apple Care+ from date of purchase. You have to check, but presumably there are 3 more days to add it, and then present it for repair (you will have to pay something like 50€ for the repair though). Might get additionally a case which protects the borders…

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
you probably have 60 days to add Apple Care+ from date of purchase. You have to check, but presumably there are 3 more days to add it, and then present it for repair (you will have to pay something like 50€ for the repair though). Might get additionally a case which protects the borders…
Sadly, just like Apple Stores, AppleCare+ is not available in many countries, incl. (I presume also) Greece and many other European countries, except for a few major markets. Local authorised resellers and service centres will usually honour AppleCare if you bought your device elsewhere, but you can’t officially buy the coverage so you’re stuck with the 1-year limited warranty and that’s it.

Last edited:

estamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Sadly, just like Apple Stores, AppleCare+ is not available in many countries, incl. (I presume also) Greece and many other European countries, except for a few major markets. Local authorised resellers and service centres will usually honour AppleCare if you bought your device elsewhere, but you can’t officially buy the coverage so you’re stuck with the 1-year limited warranty and that’s it.
Even if I find a way to buy Apple Care+ for my iPad Pro available in another country, would be cover my iPad Pro in Greece ?
Note that my iPad Pro is still in Apples Authorised Service Provider and I don't think I will get it to my hands till 17/08 when 60 days are pasted.

Last edited:

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Even if I find a way to buy Apple Care+ for my iPad Pro available in another country, would be cover my iPad Pro in Greece ?
You should ask your local reseller/service centre in Greece about that. Some of my friends have had issues trying to get AppleCare+ for their devices bought elsewhere (mostly in the US) honoured here in Croatia by the local service centres in the past (couple of years ago) but eventually they were honoured. I guess the service centres just need to clear these repairs covered under AppleCare+ with Apple.

I am not sure though if you can add AppleCare+ to a device bought in Greece. Is the option available in Settings (sometimes it was, for example when I bought devices in the UK)?

Edit: If I remember correctly, when buying AppleCare+ in these 60 days in the Apple Store in person, they want to see and check the device for damage. Not sure how it works when buying the coverage online, someone else with an experience doing that might chime in.

Last edited:

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands

Within the EU consumer law means there is a mandatory 2-year warranty on all electrical goods. But I don’t think it will help in this case, such a hairline crack without user damage is so rare that I think you’ll have a hard time getting a covered repair.

estamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Within the EU consumer law means there is a mandatory 2-year warranty on all electrical goods. But I don’t think it will help in this case, such a hairline crack without user damage is so rare that I think you’ll have a hard time getting a covered repair.
Literally, iPad haven't been used more than 20 time and let's say over 50 hours. I know it's quite difficult, but I am so sure that it's a manufacture defect I am decided to go till the end!

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
The OP can try to add Apple Care+ via the Apple Support app to their iPad. Settings>General>Coverage might offer the same.

estamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
The OP can try to add Apple Care+ via the Apple Support app to their iPad. Settings>General>Coverage might offer the same.
Apple Support app is not available in Greece and currently my iPad Pro is still at Service.

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Apple Support app is not available in Greece and currently my iPad Pro is still at Service.
You can get the Apple Support app (and the AppleCare option in Settings) if you create an Apple ID in another country, for example, the UK, and use that on the iPad. However it still remains to be seen whether this coverage would be honoured and if this would be accepted for service.

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Technically yes, but in practice, things are not as straightforward in smaller markets. All my receipts say it's a 1-year warranty, the authorised resellers try to sell you their own version of extended warranty for the additional 2 years (but they say this is the same coverage as with the 1-year warranty - why would you need that if the 2nd year is also covered by law?), and they'll even sometimes tell you in person that you *might* get the 2-year warranty accepted and honoured for manufacturing defects (but then you have to prove it was a manufacturing defect).

If you check the warranty coverage for the device in Settings, it's also always 1 year from the date of purchase, which is disappointing given the said EU law.

estamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Technically yes, but in practice, things are not as straightforward in smaller markets. All my receipts say it's a 1-year warranty, the authorised resellers try to sell you their own version of extended warranty for the additional 2 years (but they say this is the same coverage as with the 1-year warranty - why would you need that if the 2nd year is also covered by law?), and they'll even sometimes tell you in person that you *might* get the 2-year warranty accepted and honoured for manufacturing defects (but then you have to prove it was a manufacturing defect).

If you check the warranty coverage for the device in Settings, it's also always 1 year from the date of purchase, which is disappointing given the said EU law.
I am pretty confident that I would get my iPad Pro replaced in an Apple Store in Italy.
Wish there was an Apple Store in Greece too, local Authorised Service Providers here are terrible.
When I get delivered my iPad back, I will definitely try another one Authorised Service Provider to see what they will say. In addition, I am gonna ask for a written formal report of the technician that examined my iPad and the reason why it is considered out of 1 year limited warranty. Probably the are gonna say it's accidental damage or just a scratch! But since there is no point of impact how is this possible to get over with it and just denying to provide Apple's 1 year limited warranty ?

estamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Since it has already been registered in Apple’s GSX is there still a possibility to get a free replacement under warranty ?

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands

Yes its true that it says for Apple’s ‘limited warranty’ that it is one year, but it also says this warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. Your consumer rights say if the device fails within 2 years of use, you’re entitled to a free repair, and if you take that to Apple, they will honour it.

Things like Apple Care usually give you two years on top of the one year of ‘limited warranty’, so three years total.

Reactions: VaruLV and dsusanj

estamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Yes its true that it says for Apple’s ‘limited warranty’ that it is one year, but it also says this warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. Your consumer rights say if the device fails within 2 years of use, you’re entitled to a free repair, and if you take that to Apple, they will honour it.

Things like Apple Care usually give you two years on top of the one year of ‘limited warranty’, so three years total.
Since my iPad’s 1 year limited warranty was denied by a Apple Authorised Service Provider with the excuse that is “just cosmetic damage“ is it still possible to get my iPad replaced under warranty in another Apple Authorised Service Provider or even as a last solution in an Apple Store ?

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017

Apple Care has been for two years for my iPads, not three.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
This is not everywhere true for every Apple product.

Apple Care+ covers incidents which do not fall under the “limited warranty”: “…Coverage and includes up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months. Each incident is subject to a service fee…” - you can buy it only during 60 days after purchase, so it overlaps with the warranty provided by law.

E.g. in Europe you have a limited warranty coverage by consumer laws for 2 years. You can “top” this with Apple Care+ during this interval (there are several insurance EU companies which offer similar coverage for much lower prices, but Apple clearly has the most convenient offer).
Only in case of Macs, Apple displays or Apple Watch you can buy Apple Care+/Apple Protect Plan for up to 3 years, effectively extending the warranty interval for one year.

In countries with less consumer rights Apple Care+ might indeed effectively extend the warranty interval for all Apple devices.

In any case Apple Care+ covers “damage caused by improper use”

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I don’t believe the claim that the crack appeared all by itself, it’s just not credible. You may not have damaged your iPad, but someone else in your household probably did and chose not to tell you. The lack of a point of impact doesn’t prove anything.

I hope Apple do replace your screen for free though so do your best with pushing for a repair. Pick up a nice Otterbox case or something similar in future with big rubber bumpers to prevent this from happening again.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
You never know, it might have been material fatigue over time, or, perhaps, its body/frame was slightly bent either at factory or while using and at some point screen just cracked to due stress or due to temperature changes the bend could have fluctuated slightly or the battery could have been swollen a bit, not enough to notice, but enough to produce enough stress for the screen to crack and so on and so on, you never know.
But, as you said, it also could be user error, some people use their devices rather harshly but dont find it being harsh themselves and when something breaks all of a sudden its a crap quality of a product and not user negligence and "I didnt do anything, the screen just cracked all by itself" or, as you said, someone broke it and didnt notice they did it or chose not to tell the owner about it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Apple Care+ is available in quite a lot of European countries.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Apple Care+ is available in quite a lot of European countries.
But there are european insurance companies which will offer locally similar coverage. E.g. Allianz Ελλάδος operates in Greece and offers an insurance for electronic devices for cases like the OP presented, in case of an iPad for roughly 6€ per month. Actually local Apple Support should present customers some related options when buying.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
That doesn't look to me like your iPad was dropped, but I can't see the metal on the other side of the device. At first glance though, this appears to be a faulty screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.