Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevindick217

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
I checked, and the rainbow default background image itself has grain if you zoom in. At least for that part, it may be the picture itself. (Not denying screen the grain exists, I see it myself on dark mode menus)

developeren

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2020
Put on a screen protector and just like that, OLED is just about as good as LCD. Don’t do that to yourself
Wait, is this really a thing? Why? I am planning to switch from 12.9 miniLED to 11 OLED, how would it exactly affect it in a negative way?

Randomii

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
What? The OLEDs have better contrast and no blooming

But if colors are horribly grainy with oled, it ruins everything. Miniled has very good contrast as well and I haven't been bothered by the blooming. There is zero grain with miniled which is very good.

Reactions: MrGimper

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Is the screen grainy on
I was thinking it’s just the screen protector but your right it is grainy
Is the screen grainy on everything or just on certain images? Like if you go to view a dark image in the browser, can you see it there, or just on some images on the iPad? If that makes any sense. Do you have a different iPad on which to compare the same images?

Mine comes today. If there are differences that make it worse than my M2, it will be going back in the box and I'll wait until the M5 or whatever's next. These things are way too expensive for that level of imperfection.

Reactions: Geekett

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I'm thrilled to bits with my new 13 inch iPad. Zero issues, the screen's top notch, the keyboard and trackpad are nice n svelte, the portability's great. Cellular's a bit pricey but ultra handy. Only went for the 256gb model but...

This skinny beast is snappier than a bloomin' crocodile sandwich 🐊

Fair Witness

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2006
Austin, Texas
Less of an M4 iPad specific question, more of an iPad Pro with thunderbolt question...

Do you happen to know if it will work with a thunderbolt dock, in the same way that a MacBook Pro will?
It should work fine, I just tried plugging in my 13" M4 iPad Pro into an OWC Thunderbolt 4 Hub which has an LG 5K monitor plugged into it, along with various usb accessories (mouse, keyboard, sound interface) and everything worked as expected, just as it does when I plug a Macbook into it.

Reactions: throAU

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
After watching reviews, and how the 13" is actually thinner than the 11", I would be more inclined to get the 13" this time but that price....I can't justify it when you can get a M3 Macbook Air with 16GB for the same price.

Reactions: Geekett

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
But if colors are horribly grainy with oled, it ruins everything. Miniled has very good contrast as well and I haven't been bothered by the blooming. There is zero grain with miniled which is very good.
Stop…the new OLED display destroys the LCD/miniLED displays.

• Haha
Reactions: dominiongamma

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Some real nonsense being spouted here which I will correct.

I am an actual 13 2024 iPP owner.

• There is a 8% different in speed between the two 13 models, nothing you as a user can notice.
  • Tandem OLED is miles ahead of MicroLED etc.
  • Even with heavy workloads can see no different in performance. Either machine are powerhouses.
  • I have not seen in the store, or mine or others any grainyness.

Last edited:

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Some real nonsense being spouted here which I will correct.

I am an actual 13 2024 iPP owner.

• There is a 8% different in speed between the two 13 models, nothing you as a user can notice.
  • Tandem OLED is miles ahead of OLED.
  • Even with heavy workloads can see no different in performance.
  • I have not seen in the store, or mine or others any grainyness.
Agree except on point 3, safari on my M4 11' 512 is definitely snappier.

Reactions: usmaak

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
It looks like the new keyboard leaves the hinge exposed vs the old one had the silicon wrap around the hinge like a book cover. I think I prefer the hinge covered.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
It is really hard to say which you will prefer. I have owned all the iPads, I liked the 12.9. It was more manageable attached to the Magic Keyboard. Over time, I have preferred the 11 and just with the folio. The way I see it. It is like the three bears. The mini is too close to being a big iPhone. The 12.9 is too close to being a Mac. The 11 seems just right at being an iPad.
I would personally want the 13” and yet this statement is still 💯

Boing123

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2024
Wait, is this really a thing? Why? I am planning to switch from 12.9 miniLED to 11 OLED, how would it exactly affect it in a negative way?
Hogwash: if you put on a matte plastic screen protector, sure you will lose some crispness but if you use a nice tempered glass one, you won’t notice a thing.

Reactions: Larrupin and usmaak

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
The panel lottery is not ideal, especially when the display is a main attraction for these devices. Wish reviewers would dive into this more and document the differences.
Asking reviewers to do more than "humanize an Apple PR checklist" is asking way too much from reviewers. Gotta come to MacRumors and Reddit for an actual real-world review.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
It looks like the new keyboard leaves the hinge exposed vs the old one had the silicon wrap around the hinge like a book cover. I think I prefer the hinge covered.

I agree with that. With the previous keyboard I used to take it out of the bag, and rest it with the hinge on the desk to open it up. With this one I can't do that, as it's way more slippery and I can't make use of the "gripping" effect the silicon had on the desk.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Hogwash: if you put on a matte plastic screen protector, sure you will lose some crispness but if you use a nice tempered glass one, you won’t notice a thing.
I put an ESR glass screen protector on my M2 and the only thing that I noticed is that it made it more reflective. Unless the screen protector is garbage or matte, there is going to be no objective difference between before and after, except maybe reflection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.