Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Some immediate impressions after a few hours of use of a Space Black iPad 13" 1TB with Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard.

Weight and size, along with overall industrial design, is phenomal. It's hard to believe the amount of technology packed into this thin of a device. I'm coming from a 2020 12.9" iPad Pro, so the weight reduction feels significant. It feels just as a sturdy as the previous model, too.

The Magic Keyboard is a huge improvement. The trackpad alone feels so much better the original Magic Keyboard. Typing feels better than my Macbook Pro so far...I guess I feel a bit more immersed with the magic keyboard and the iPad screen since it sits closer to my face.

And speaking of the screen, it's really a thing of beauty. The blacks are so inky, the colors are really vibrant. I did a couple of Lightroom photo comparisons side-by-side with my old iPad, and the new OLED screen is so crisp and vibrant. I wasn't expecting a huge change, but my expectations are far exceeded.

The old iPad is going to my Dad, so it'll be put to good use. But I think for anyone on the fence wanting to upgrade, the screen and weight are big quality of life improvements...along with the Magic Keyboard. Excited to take this on the road and do some shooting/editing.
I got a 13” space black too and everything you say is spot on. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to notice the screen but I did right away. It’s fantastic. I love the keyboard too. I don’t mind that the back and bottom is still rubberized. That way I won’t have to worry about scratches. Hopefully this thing will last me at least 5 years.

MazingerZND

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2022
Some immediate impressions after a few hours of use of a Space Black iPad 13" 1TB with Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard.

Weight and size, along with overall industrial design, is phenomal. It's hard to believe the amount of technology packed into this thin of a device. I'm coming from a 2020 12.9" iPad Pro, so the weight reduction feels significant. It feels just as a sturdy as the previous model, too.

The Magic Keyboard is a huge improvement. The trackpad alone feels so much better the original Magic Keyboard. Typing feels better than my Macbook Pro so far...I guess I feel a bit more immersed with the magic keyboard and the iPad screen since it sits closer to my face.

And speaking of the screen, it's really a thing of beauty. The blacks are so inky, the colors are really vibrant. I did a couple of Lightroom photo comparisons side-by-side with my old iPad, and the new OLED screen is so crisp and vibrant. I wasn't expecting a huge change, but my expectations are far exceeded.

The old iPad is going to my Dad, so it'll be put to good use. But I think for anyone on the fence wanting to upgrade, the screen and weight are big quality of life improvements...along with the Magic Keyboard. Excited to take this on the road and do some shooting/editing.
Yesssss, the trackpad is so much better now! The old one was fine, not amazing, just fine. But now it really feels like a laptop trackpad and I couldn’t be happier about the upgrade

Reactions: iLunar and Rogifan

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
I got a 13” space black too and everything you say is spot on. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to notice the screen but I did right away. It’s fantastic. I love the keyboard too. I don’t mind that the back and bottom is still rubberized. That way I won’t have to worry about scratches. Hopefully this thing will last me at least 5 years.
Same. I'm in it for 4-5 years with this iPad. It's a nice kit.

Reactions: teralpar

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Viewing angles are not so great compared to the iPhone's OLED display. You can clearly see not so inky blacks when you lay it down on a table in dark mode vs. when using it in the Magic Keyboard or holding it in your hand.

Good to hear. Save your money with the IPS display. My wallet is safe.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
FINALLY!!

Attachments

• tempImagef8yit5.png
    tempImagef8yit5.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 118

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Loving my 13” Space Black. I went for standard glass, 1 TB, MKB and Pencil Pro. Every piece is well executed. I haven’t really “used” it yet, just kind of getting set up. Love the aluminum keyboard - feels more like a laptop. Trackpad is noticeably larger. Love the function keys. Weight of the overall kit is noticeably lighter than my M1 12.9 with MKB. Playing with the squeeze on the pencil in Goodnotes and I think that will be a new favorite. I’ve never had luck with the tap, so I think I’ll disable that and go with the squeeze instead. Making some changes to my workflows and I’m picking up a hub and an external drive so I can drop this in as a desktop workstation or just connect the external when out and about.

I was debating if I really wanted to pick it up or just stay with my M1. Definitely don’t need the additional horsepower - I do hope for some more functionality from iPad OS this summer, but I’m satisfied with all the little additions and changes to the overall setup.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
Just because Apple made a 13" M4 iPad Pro, the airlines have not made their seat's "desk" any bigger. I found and find that both my M1 and later M2 11" iPad Pros (2TB) would fit on the airline tables where the larger iPad model or 14" laptop would not fit. I travel a lot so I typically have my M1 14" MBPro, M2 11" iPad Pro, v6 iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini (because it has an actual SIM card slot for over seas) in my carry on bag. I have my iPhone 14 Pro Max on my person.

The M4 11" iPad Pro has finally got the best screen too instead of being the older technology behind the 12.9" models. After the dust settles and the initial "quirks" are resolved, I might order a M4 11" iPad Pro (2TB, standard screen & cellular with the new keyboard and new pencil). I would be able to addd a Zagg screen protector by then as well.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Just because Apple made a 13" M4 iPad Pro, the airlines have not made their seat's "desk" any bigger. I found and find that both my M1 and later M2 11" iPad Pros (2TB) would fit on the airline tables where the larger iPad model or 14" laptop would not fit. I travel a lot so I typically have my M1 14" MBPro, M2 11" iPad Pro, v6 iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini (because it has an actual SIM card slot for over seas) in my carry on bag. I have my iPhone 14 Pro Max on my person.

The M4 11" iPad Pro has finally got the best screen too instead of being the older technology behind the 12.9" models. After the dust settles and the initial "quirks" are resolved, I might order a M4 11" iPad Pro (2TB, standard screen & cellular with the new keyboard and new pencil). I would be able to addd a Zagg screen protector by then as well.
Off topic but why not an eSIM through something like Airalo or Ubigi? Data-only but you can dual-SIM with your primary line at home and funnel data through the secondary eSIM. You can keep iMessage on your line and if you go into Cellular settings when you are in the foreign country, navigate to your primary SIM and fiddle around with Network Selection until it says No Service, your phone calls should come in just fine over the secondary SIM too.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
One thing I did notice when using in bed: I have to tilt the screen forward a bit in order to get the keyboard to lay flat and the device to not tip backwards.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Viewing angles are not so great compared to the iPhone's OLED display. You can clearly see not so inky blacks when you lay it down on a table in dark mode vs. when using it in the Magic Keyboard or holding it in your hand.

I read this and wondered how that could be, so I checked mine, and it's not the case (with mine at least). I was a bit worried about the tandem design. I don't think OLED in general does that. I'm not sure what version you have, and maybe others can test this. There is a very slight shift with IPS, even the mini-led, but from my experience not OLED. I own a couple Galaxy S9 tabs, and have had all the previous versions of those, so I have some experience with this.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Mine is still not completely finished setting up, but I’ve been able to get into some apps, and I’m using it to post here. I love it! Even with the screen protector on the screen is sharp and amazing. I forgot how stinking awesome the pro screens are. I never really “missed” it going to the Air 5, but I noticed it immediately when I turned on the pro.

I don’t know that I find the overall setup (MK and iPP) to be lighter than my Air 5 with MK, but it’s not heavier, so I’m good. The iPP itself does feel really light and thin.

I’m not positive how I feel about the white keys on the silver - definitely has an iMac vibe, but it is weird coming from the all white keyboard. I got the silver iPP and I know I wouldn’t love it with the black keyboard though, so I’m sure I’ll be used to it by tomorrow. ;-p

Setup, including eSIM activation, software update, and data download with zero hiccups. Super excited!

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
There were (and probably still are) no eSIMs at the borders in the Southern half of Africa, let alone a service that could cabbage onto the local SIMs.

I need voice capability when in the UK and Pay As You Go only works on SIM cards, not eSIMs. I no longer have a formal UK address, but still have a UK bank account that has the address we had in my wife's former family home that we rented for 18 years. One needs the UK bank to pay for the SIM card service. I pay £5 per month to keep the account alive versus £50 or more for a full service eSIM.

Reactions: c14nhl

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Did you get the nano-texture? Were there any nano-texture display versions available for sale?
I am also curious about the differences between the two screens. I ordered the Nano texture one but am having second thoughts about it

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Will probably return mine. Screen is nice. It’s thin. Squeeze function feels great. But I guess I’m still not an iPad guy even with the smaller size. I‘ll make a decision soon once I‘ve used it some more but I’m just not feeling it.

Reactions: cardfan

Tymbo

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2009
Anyone have a recommendation For usb-c to 3.5mm PLUS charging adapter (both in one so I can listen to a movie with wired headphones while charging)? I have looked on Amazon, but couldn’t find any above 4.3 stars, which gives me pause.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I read this and wondered how that could be, so I checked mine, and it's not the case (with mine at least). I was a bit worried about the tandem design. I don't think OLED in general does that.
This can differ between OLED manufacturers (LG and Samsung). It certainly differed between a couple of iPhone 13 mini I had. One panel type had significantly more color shift off-angle.

Reactions: kevindick217

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Seriously no diff between oled and mini led? maybe need side by side.
The keyboard looks like a black MacBook Pro, nice. Finally could be a MacBook replacement.
You like the 13" better than the 11"?
The OS is and likely will be the biggest constraint to make it a worthy replacement.

kevindick217

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
The panel lottery is not ideal, especially when the display is a main attraction for these devices. Wish reviewers would dive into this more and document the differences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.