Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I like the Samsung bright display watching YouTube and Netflix is quite enjoyable so I was wondering compare to iPad 2024 pro how was it ?

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012

this guy REALLY loves his Samsung tab s9 ultra.

The OLED on the IPP produces a better image

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
App parity is everything.

Android tablets are a graveyard of quality tablet apps compared to the iPad.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
App parity is everything.

Android tablets are a graveyard of quality tablet apps compared to the iPad.
this is the usual greatly exaggerated comment you'll find on Apple centric websites, from people who often haven't had any real (and long enough) hands-on experience over the past couple of years. Nowdays this is only true in some segments but things have changed a lot in others

Reactions: teohyc and uecker87

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
this is the usual greatly exaggerated comment you'll find on Apple centric websites, from people who often haven't had any real (and long enough) hands-on experience over the past couple of years. Nowdays this is only true in some segments but things have changed a lot in others
Things have changed a lot but its still not good enough. I've spent about 50% of my mobile device time with Android since the G1.

If you just want a tablet for media consumption then Samsung devices are fine. But with the iPad, bar M-series exclusives a $349 iPad 10 is just as productive as a $1299 iPad Pro. Apps like Ulysses are brilliant for hammering out blog posts or a novel and there is nothing as slick as Shapr3D or ProCreate on Android. I wish this were not so.

Apple's own Books app is the best repository for PDFs I know of. When it comes to gaming though the difference is night and day. Big releases like Death Stranding and Hades skip the platform altogether and stone cold classics like Tiny Wings, Trism and Rolando have been around for over a decade with no Android release. Android's one bright spot was emulators but this has been quickly eroded by recent developments.

If you want a 'Google' tablet the best thing to do is still buy an iPad and then just cut Apple out of the equation altogether. You still get all the GApps but also access to the app store. Win/win if thats your thing and it syncs up nicely with your Android phone.

Reactions: maxrest

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Things have changed a lot but its still not good enough. I've spent about 50% of my mobile device time with Android since the G1.

If you just want a tablet for media consumption then Samsung devices are fine. But with the iPad, bar M-series exclusives a $349 iPad 10 is just as productive as a $1299 iPad Pro. Apps like Ulysses are brilliant for hammering out blog posts or a novel and there is nothing as slick as Shapr3D or ProCreate on Android. I wish this were not so.

Apple's own Books app is the best repository for PDFs I know of. When it comes to gaming though the difference is night and day. Big releases like Death Stranding and Hades skip the platform altogether and stone cold classics like Tiny Wings, Trism and Rolando have been around for over a decade with no Android release. Android's one bright spot was emulators but this has been quickly eroded by recent developments.

If you want a 'Google' tablet the best thing to do is still buy an iPad and then just cut Apple out of the equation altogether. You still get all the GApps but also access to the app store. Win/win if thats your thing and it syncs up nicely with your Android phone.
"Still not good enough" for your use case is far from "a graveyard of quality tablet apps"
I don't use or care about any of the apps you mentioned and I still consider myself a sophisticated users. By the way you have a perfect clone of Procreate on Android, it's called HiPaint (used to be called Huion Sketch), it just has ads but it's free.
Do iPads have more high end apps? Yes. Are Android tablets a graveyard of quality tablets apps? Far from it.
From great note taking apps, especially for Samsung devices through Samsung notes (which is also a great pdf reader), to all Google and Microsoft apps, to a full browser with all Chrome extentions (Kiwi), to ad-free apps like youtube and more via Revanced, to second screen apps that make Sidecar pale in comparisons and any other third party iPad app for that matter.
It really depends on what your use for a tablet it, and it's not jsut media consumption
iPad has more, but Android and Samsung tablet in particular are very far from your graveyard description (you didn't say what Android tablets you have experience with, I have a Tab S9, Tab S8 ultra, Tab S7FE, and a Levono Tab 13) plus all the iPads in my signature.

Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I like the Samsung bright display watching YouTube and Netflix is quite enjoyable so I was wondering compare to iPad 2024 pro how was it ?
IPad has better AR coating, and obviously with the tandem OLED can go brighter than the Samsung tablet. Note that the iPad Pro has two different panel suppliers, LG and Samsung, and it’s a lottery which one you get. Apparently the Samsung has a grain effect that the LG doesn’t have (see other threads), and Samsung tablets have that as well.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
"Still not good enough" for your use case is far from "a graveyard of quality tablet apps"
I don't use or care about any of the apps you mentioned and I still consider myself a sophisticated users. By the way you have a perfect clone of Procreate on Android, it's called HiPaint (used to be called Huion Sketch), it just has ads but it's free.
Do iPads have more high end apps? Yes. Are Android tablets a graveyard of quality tablets apps? Far from it.
From great note taking apps, especially for Samsung devices through Samsung notes (which is also a great pdf reader), to all Google and Microsoft apps, to a full browser with all Chrome extentions (Kiwi), to ad-free apps like youtube and more via Revanced, to second screen apps that make Sidecar pale in comparisons and any other third party iPad app for that matter.
It really depends on what your use for a tablet it, and it's not jsut media consumption
iPad has more, but Android and Samsung tablet in particular are very far from your graveyard description (you didn't say what Android tablets you have experience with, I have a Tab S9, Tab S8 ultra, Tab S7FE, and a Levono Tab 13) plus all the iPads in my signature.
I don’t disagree with you but making your point with ad-riddled anlternatives and justifying the use of a YouTube ad blocker might not be the best way to do it.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don’t disagree with you but making your point with ad-riddled anlternatives and justifying the use of a YouTube ad blocker might not be the best way to do it.
I sure wish it was a paid app and not ad-supported, but I don't draw so not a big deal to me... Blocking ads on youtube instead I have no problems with and I also do it on iPad via Safari

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I find it a bit too late personally, and while the aspect ratio is definitely better for video, I do sometimes use my tablet in portrait mode, and The samsung tablets aren’t good for that
That's why I keep both. iPad is unbeatable for portrait use. The ultra is unbeatable as a portable monitor (I still have to find a portable monitor that can match it, that is battery powered, with pen support, that can work wirelessly etc.)
iPad pro is a bit too small for that and does not have the great monitor apps that Android has.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
M4 iPad Pro’s screen does not have the wow-factor as Samsung Galaxy S9 Ultra for me.

For my needs, iPad is better and practically more useful because I live in the Apple ecosystem.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I find it a bit too late personally, and while the aspect ratio is definitely better for video, I do sometimes use my tablet in portrait mode, and The samsung tablets aren’t good for that

I agree, I think for drawing or notes and even general web browsing, the iPad is better just for the aspect ratio alone.

I think you almost have to have both of them. There's no question the ultra is way better for watching videos because it has no bars And it's a much better screen than any iPad Pro screen. But for me I don't have $1, 300CAD (sale price too) burning in my pocket to use for a very small use case like this. And if I did buy one of these I'm pretty sure that I would never take it out of the house. So it would be expensive one use case ornament.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
That's why I keep both. iPad is unbeatable for portrait use. The ultra is unbeatable as a portable monitor (I still have to find a portable monitor that can match it, that is battery powered, with pen support, that can work wirelessly etc.)
iPad pro is a bit too small for that and does not have the great monitor apps that Android has.
I typed “too late”, but meant to say “too heavy” as a tablet anyway.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
M4 iPad Pro’s screen does not have the wow-factor as Samsung Galaxy S9 Ultra for me.

For my needs, iPad is better and practically more useful because I live in the Apple ecosystem.
How is it better exactly? I haven‘t played around with the S9 Ultra yet. The S8 ultra yes, but I found it a bit too dim. I need a screen that can get decent bright

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022

I agree. Just look on YouTube for comparisons between the ultra screen and the iPad OLED. And the Samsung looks the exact same. And again substantially cheaper.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I do think I have one other use case that I would buy this device for. But it's going to be impossible to find a way to mount in the car. I would buy it as a device for when I watch and stream video in my car...which I do quite often. It's a much bigger screen, goes brighter and better aspect ratio than the iPad Pro 11. It just all depends if I'm willing to carry this thing around with me everywhere.

But it's hard enough as is to find car mounts for iPad pro's let alone a device 14.6 in. But as a on the go screen to watch video off of it this device would be awesome. I can't think of anything better out there right now.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I agree. Just look on YouTube for comparisons between the ultra screen and the iPad OLED. And the Samsung looks the exact same. And again substantially cheaper.

I have an M1 12.9 and bought an Ultra 9 (I'm an old Android guy and wanted to try it again with the large screen) but I returned the Ultra as the screen reflectivity in other than a dark room was too severe for my taste.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Yeah that’s always been a downside of the Samsung tablets, along with the inferior palm rejection, although they may have fixed that one in the last one.

Also some of the older version had pretty low speedometer scores so the felt less fast (I think the S8 lineup fixed that)

My M4 has 616 score in Speedometer 2.0

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah that’s always been a downside of the Samsung tablets, along with the inferior palm rejection, although they may have fixed that one in the last one.

Also some of the older version had pretty low speedometer scores so the felt less fast (I think the S8 lineup fixed that)

My M4 has 616 score in Speedometer 2.0

The reflectivity was a big problem for me - I removed and tossed the screen protector from my 12.9 because of the reflection issues it introduced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.