Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
White subtitles scrolling down a black screen, any time there’s near black in any movie or tv show etc. Fyi this is on an M2 iPad Pro 12.9.
Yes I'm pretty sure we've all seen this. Prior I was seeing a white box around white text on a black background and around the white 'grab' bar that appears at the bottom of most apps. Now the blooming isn't as pronounced, no longer appearing as a box but a glow, more aligned with what I see on my MBP XDR screen. I had become indifferent to iPad blooming but now I'm definitely noticing the difference and improvement.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yes I'm pretty sure we've all seen this. Prior I was seeing a white box around white text on a black background and around the white 'grab' bar that appears at the bottom of most apps. Now the blooming isn't as pronounced, no longer appearing as a box but a glow, more aligned with what I see on my MBP XDR screen. I had become indifferent to iPad blooming but now I'm definitely noticing the difference and improvement.
Can't say I've noticed any difference...

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Not to rehash an old post but I’ve been convinced since iPadOS 17 that the blooming effects have been significantly improved, maybe via a driver update?

Reactions: grmlin

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Not to rehash an old post but I’ve been convinced since iPadOS 17 that the blooming effects have been significantly improved, maybe via a driver update?
So, I haven’t been checking with each release, but one thing I only just now noticed is that the Book app seems to default to a “not totally black” background (I don’t read a lot of text only books, so don’t think I would have changed it from the default). It appears part of it may be that they may be making different aesthetic choices.

One thing I did remember changing for the better a few releases ago is that the cursor would leave a wide path behind it and only redraw it after stopping the movement. Now, I “think” the path is narrower and it follows the cursor more tightly, not leaving a trail of “on” led groups behind it. If I’m right, it’s gotten “better” in the ways I expected it would, i.e. they’ve progressively figured out smarter more efficient algorithms to control the miniled’s.

Using Stage Manager, I was able to get a miniled-off rectangle and move it in front of a partially lit background and you can see the rows of miniled groups snapping on and off quickly, but, again, that’s not a way I’d ever use my iPad. :)

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Still blooming on mine as much as before, perhaps even more than before when watching movies with full brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.