Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How did you feel about the iPad Pro ad?

• I enjoyed it.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • Don’t have any strong feelings about it.

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • I hated it; poor choice of concept.

Votes: 72 33.5%

• Total voters

hektor6tygr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
I thought it was a neat ad. I was also hoping for a behind the scenes video. Oh well.

The thing that more upset me, was how out of the way Apple went to put very few white models in the iPad photos on the iPad Air and iPad Pro marketing material. They did the same on the Vision Pro website. If Apple wants to reflect reality, there should be a roughly 50/50 make up of white/non-white models.

The crush ad was an interesting way to show everything that the iPad Pro can do “crushed” into a sheet of glas.
Are you talking about the hand models?? Those are the only people pictures I could find on the iPad page.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Are you talking about the hand models?? Those are the only people pictures I could find on the iPad page.
I misspoke (mistyped?), I meant the apple events video.

No, not just the hand models, I felt that was odd, but that didn’t bug me.

I really have no issue with advertising showing an array of people. If you want to sell a product, your customers need to be able to see themselves as the target of the ad. I just think Apple has gone out their way to do everything they can not to advertise normally.

Apple even promotes this idea in their dev videos.

An example would be The Practice of Inclusive Design video from WWDC 21.

Back on topic, I think people over reacted to the crush video.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
I think the ad would have been better if all these creative tools sprung from the iPad vs being crushed by them. So the iPad is about enhancing, not replacing them.

I saw a post, might have been in the 9to5Mac article, where someone reversed the video to basically show this.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
This commercial was in very poor taste in my opinion. When I watched it, the final squeeze where whatever they were were squeezed out of existence just seemed wrong somehow.

The tone was destructive not constructive and seemed to be saying we will crush you. I get that some people see this as an over reaction and I was certainly wasn’t thinking of this as if it was some commentary on creative genius. It just seemed so cruel and unnecessary.

I think the idea that it could have gone in reverse is much better and would have been constructive where all those tools were available in the iPad. Destruction is not a good message and squeezing the life out of things certainly does not seem to be a good message even if that was not the intended idea. A rare miss by Apple and maybe a sign of where Apple is at the moment. Hastily conceived products that are not breaking new ground and an obvious miss with the M3 M4 introduction or so it seems. I hope I am wrong but I am not feeling good about Apple at the moment.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
A variety of gadgets being compressed into an iPad is a decent ad idea, however the hydraulic press is a little brutal perhaps. There are other ways. Whirlpools are a Hollywood favorite, (but hot tubs are out, obviously). A giant vacuum cleaner? well no...

Then again, whirlpools crushing things might not work either, i'm thinking. Yup.

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
They could have used an animated version that shows painting, video editing, music editing, etc getting sucked into the iPad, somewhat like a Microsoft ad from 1990's or early 2000's

Even if the the things that got destroyed no longer work, it was still a waste of resources...

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The comments people have made about the ad, some claiming it 'crushes the dreams of digital artists' is virtue signaling nonsense IMO. I've seen some stars have a go at it. Why? I think some people need to go and touch some grass. Reading way too much into the ad.

It's quite obvious they are crushing lots of creativity into the new iPad Pro. Nothing more nothing less.

And every single person with an opinion on the new ad proves it's done it's job perfectly, it's got that new iPad Pro in your head space. Which is all the ad needs to do.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bousozoku

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
It's done the purpose of what adverts are supposed to. You are discussing it, whether you like it or not. It's got noticed.

So from Apple's point of view, it's worked

Exactly, people have missed that fact but they are all now discussing the ad and will remember it, which means they'll remember the product it's advertising. A perfect ad campaign.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Exactly, people have missed that fact but they are all now discussing the ad and will remember it, which means they'll remember the product it's advertising. A perfect ad campaign.
You clearly don't work in advertising if you think it's this simple. This ad is so perfectly dystopian at exactly the right moment to turn people's stomachs. It's like advertising burgers with an image of somebody vomiting. Tainting your brand like that is never a win. It's no surprise that people who aren't creative themselves can't see beyond the literal intent of the ad and see how it looks, how massively misjudged it is, how it accidentally but perfectly nails creatives' immediate fears about the massive tech industry projects to consume and replace our all of our creative endeavours with their machines.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
You clearly don't work in advertising if you think it's this simple. This ad is so perfectly dystopian at exactly the right moment to turn people's stomachs. It's like advertising burgers with an image of somebody vomiting. Tainting your brand like that is never a win. It's no surprise that people who aren't creative themselves can't see beyond the literal intent of the ad and see how it looks, how massively misjudged it is, how it accidentally but perfectly nails creatives' immediate fears about the massive tech industry projects to consume and replace our all of our creative endeavours with their machines.

‘Tainting you’re brand’, 😂🤣 you and others are reading waaaaaayy too much into a simple ad that clearly portrays the device, and the fact it can do all those things. These days people are so overly sensitive it seems. And no you are wrong, this ad being talked about is great advertising for Apple and I don’t think it’ll damage their brand one bit.
As for AI, you need to be lobbying your politicians, or creating a group and getting the masses to hear your viewpoint on it if you want to stop it, it’s coming whether we like it or not, and it’s selfish to only claim it’ll impact creative markets. But money talks and fact is AI is cheaper.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
And every single person with an opinion on the new ad proves it's done it's job perfectly, it's got that new iPad Pro in your head space. Which is all the ad needs to do.
Most commercials that are considered highly successful have to stand out, and communicate a benefit to potential customers in a distinctive and memorable way. Did apple in this crush ad for the iPad Pro clearly convey the new iPad Pro benefit to consumers on first viewing? For me it's like 95% of the commercial is amusing distraction, only the last few seconds are you offered a glimpse of the product. Some might even not get the thinness angle of the marketing, instead thinking all this stuff is obsolete and replaced by the iPad Pro?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Most commercials that are considered highly successful have to stand out, and communicate a benefit to potential customers in a distinctive and memorable way. Did apple in this crush ad for the iPad Pro clearly convey the new iPad Pro benefit to consumers on first viewing? For me it's like 95% of the commercial is amusing distraction, only the last few seconds are you offered a glimpse of the product. Some might even not get the thinness angle of the marketing, instead thinking all this stuff is obsolete and replaced by the iPad Pro?

I think most people will see that all these things are in the iPad, not it replaces them. People are more intelligent and know a real trumpet or piano is still better than an iPad. Instead maybe they'll think you can use those instruments and then the iPad to help create music?
The ad isn't really highlighting the thinness, they did that with the Air ads.

Reactions: steve123

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
‘Tainting you’re brand’, 😂🤣 you and others are reading waaaaaayy too much into a simple ad that clearly portrays the device, and the fact it can do all those things. These days people are so overly sensitive it seems. And no you are wrong, this ad being talked about is great advertising for Apple and I don’t think it’ll damage their brand one bit.
Clearly you don't work in advertising if you think that ad was just supposed to show what an iPad can do.

As for AI, you need to be lobbying your politicians, or creating a group and getting the masses to hear your viewpoint on it if you want to stop it, it’s coming whether we like it or not, and it’s selfish to only claim it’ll impact creative markets. But money talks and fact is AI is cheaper.
The masses are hearing the viewpoint, that's specifically what you're upset about right now.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Clearly you don't work in advertising if you think that ad was just supposed to show what an iPad can do.

The masses are hearing the viewpoint, that's specifically what you're upset about right now.

Lol I’m afraid you got that wrong, I’m not upset about AI, it’s coming and I accepted it long ago. Also it’s clear you don’t work in advertising either because that ad is now living in your head rent free. And yes it WAS made to just show what an iPad does, if you read more then that in an advert advertising a product, I think that says more about you then anything else.

• Love
Reactions: steve123

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I don't understand why it's offensive, honestly.

I don't think the ad is trying to destroy or belittle the products individually considered nor their current or past value, but rather that all of that can be offered by a 5mm thick device.

It's not that hard to understand... but hey, lately people will protest about anything.

Reactions: deruch and Pezimak

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
It's not that hard to understand... but hey, lately people will protest about anything.
I believe people who are in the arts see those tools as an extension to the body. Plus, not everything that was crushed can be replaced by the iPad. For example, the iPad makes for a terrible big television screen replacement for example, since you can't have a group of friends over and watch a movie or the game on the small tablet.

Reactions: klasma

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I believe people who are in the arts see those tools as an extension to the body. Plus, not everything that was crushed can be replaced by the iPad. For example, the iPad makes for a terrible big television screen replacement for example, since you can't have a group of friends over and watch a movie or the game on the small tablet.
Well, neither does the Apple Vision Pro replace a TV (it also excludes the people around you) and they advertise it primarily as a super mega cinema screen.

In the end it's marketing, you can't take everything at face value. But nowadays if you go a little too far (I don't consider this ad to be too far at all, it's just an ad, that's all) there are already hordes on Twitter crying and feeling offended.

The iPad is a device designed for creatives, and with this ad they want to make the case that it doesn't replace, but can do “all that” and more. You can draw, you can compose, you can edit, you can play games, you can watch TV, you can do many things with it. To go to the point of feeling offended by smashing inert objects... seems absurd to me, under my occidental point of view.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Modern world, I just think if a war did ever break out, an awful lot of people will suddenly realise protesting about petty things really doesn't mean jack. But everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: deruch and steve123

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Initially, I liked the ad. After reading this thread, I love ❤️ the ad!

The ad is doing precisely what it is supposed to do and we will probably be talking about the ad for years. AI is going to have a profound effect on us. Creatives need to change their game. AI will not make them obsolete it just changes how they do their job and enables others to create as well. The outrage by celebrities is duplicious.

Apple is beginning to realize that AI is changing the world and they need to get in the game. Apple has been noticeably absent. This ad sheds some light that Apple may finally understand this and want to communicate with customers that it is making change. The love Apple has given FCPX and Logic Pro with the recent updates demonstrates they might actually be doing something about their problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pezimak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.