Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How did you feel about the iPad Pro ad?

• I enjoyed it.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • Don’t have any strong feelings about it.

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • I hated it; poor choice of concept.

Votes: 72 33.5%

• Total voters

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Just so ironic it's from the company that brags about how environmentally conscious it is.
I think Apple is right on the money. Getting rid of some of that stuff is better for the environment. I wonder how many of the critical creatives are aware of the chemicals used in these products and what they do to the environment when they are disposed either to a landfill or down the drain.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I think most people will see that all these things are in the iPad, not it replaces them. People are more intelligent and know a real trumpet or piano is still better than an iPad. Instead maybe they'll think you can use those instruments and then the iPad to help create music?
Does Apple know a real piano is better, and is that what's being conveyed? The lyric at the end , the payoff to the spot, states "all I ever need is you."

Reactions: mw360

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
So 50% of some (the world's population? America's population? China's population?) is white?

Huh?
I’m talking about American ads for American consumers.

if you want to play the world wide game, the ads should be almost nothing but Indians and asians.

but clearly the WWDC video was saying, hey, developers you should stop using Anglo oriented words and imagery. Apple would only be suggesting this this if they theysel were going to be moving in that direction.

I thought the “crush” ad was universal and could speak to any person regardless of language.

Reactions: deruch

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
Somewhere between "no strong feelings" and "hated" for me. Certainly not losing any sleep over it or calling for a trial at the Hague but as a collector of musical instruments I didn't particularly like the ad.

• Haha
Reactions: ideaprison

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
People get outraged over anything these days.

I think it's more of: this ad had a clear target audience aimed at creative professionals.

A handful of outspoken creative professionals didn't like the messaging and let Apple know.

Apple, unsure if the creative community at large (again, the intended audience for the product) shared the same sentiment, got spooked and pulled it because if creative professionals largely don't like it, it means the ad isn't working.

I don't think what I just described is outrageous.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Just a another perspective

Think about it. Does Apple feel like the sort of bleakly amoral disruptor startup that would happily throw the creative industries into an AI-powered shredder? Or does it feel like a nearly half-century-old corporation run by baby boomers with a thing for beautiful physical objects and an embarrassing obsession with pop groups? Musicians, filmmakers, photographers, designers… Apple loves to hold up the creative professions as its platonic customer and the template for a fulfilling career–and when it portrays those professions, it does so with Apple products integrated with exactly those physical objects that got chucked in the crushing machine.
Look, Apple has plenty of faults, but those faults do not include wanting to mock, destroy, or mechanize the creative professions. It doesn’t want you to throw your harp in the dump. It just wants to sell some iPads.
========

This other 2024 iPad Pro ad is a lot more focused on convincing consumers of its benefits rather then being controversial like the original 1984 ad as was the crush ad.

Now it seems that Apple is in this situation where they really haven't been pitching their hardware and operating systems are so AI based like others in this industry, but now here we have Apple exclaiming that the new M4 iPad Pro was designed to be an AI powerhouse. Eh what that about thinks most consumers? I bet this will take a lot of marketing to convince them of all the positives of AI. Yeah a whole slew of ads will be necessary IMHO. ;)

Last edited:

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like people are mostly offended by the ad because it holds up a mirror to us, where culture is heading, and showing a very literal metaphor for how we're rapidly replacing every art form, craft, hobby, analog technology, like pianos, cameras, paints, clay, toys, arcade cabinets, etc., with virtual/digital replicas that live inside consumer electronics products like iPad, Apple Pencil, smartphones, computers, generative AI, etc.

Having the ad end with the singer singing the phrase, "all I ever need is you", feels like giant middle finger to all the objects/ideas/culture that was just crushed, that we might as well "crush" all of these analog, archaic things like they are useless trash because we can now have it all, much more conveniently, inexpensively, with much less friction and points of failure in a high tech consumer electronics product, like iPad Pro.

I don't find it offensive. I find it brilliantly provocative:

Obviously, Apple under Tim Cook is just bland, mainstream consumerism, and neither Apple nor the people responsible for making this ad aimed for controversial.

Apple's intentions for this ad is just want to have you desire to replace your entire existence and identity with a $999+ tablet to make the shareholders happier.

But I get why people say they hate this ad as it's unintentionally a scathing statement of the direction technology is taking almost everything activity and object we used to enjoy and cherish. A sort of one minute, stylized science fiction short movie showing us our soon to be tomorrow world.

The corporation who's probably the main catalyst of the "app-ification" of our entire existences putting out this ad is also wildly ironic.

But you know, that's what hubris does to us.

Bravo to whoever Apple hired to come up with this. But pretty weak if they take it down or opt to not air it after the backlash.

This is what great art is supposed to do.

I love it!

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
This is what great art is supposed to do.
But as we all know most art isn't for everyone.

Its always judged on different criteria. Think about the ad in the light of the five criteria below:
  • The beauty or lack of beauty in this ad?
  • How skillfully the ad was created when compared to other similar ads?
  • Interpretation of the inherent meaning of the ad?
  • Does the ad represent uniqueness that makes its stand out?
  • Does the ad fulfill the intent of the creator?
So likely the crush ad saw some viewers misinterpret the meaning of the ad. Additionally with all the action before the unveiling of the iPad Pro did that really fulfill the intent of what Apple wanted?

But it did diffidently possess some creative beauty, and was skillfully created, and possesses some uniqueness as far as ads go. In that light a lot of people considered beauty/skill/uniqueness over interpretation/intent while others saw it completely from the opposite perspective. Thats the assessment most here had. ;)

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Apple is getting a fair share of criticism in Japan, with several sites reporting on how their new ad for the iPad pro is off putting to creators:

What are you guys’ thoughts? I guess this might be cultural because I could only find news from japanese sites and most people replying at Tim’s X are Japanese.

Tim’s post:
laughable! if anywhere factual......

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think it's more of: this ad had a clear target audience aimed at creative professionals.

A handful of outspoken creative professionals didn't like the messaging and let Apple know.

Apple, unsure if the creative community at large (again, the intended audience for the product) shared the same sentiment, got spooked and pulled it because if creative professionals largely don't like it, it means the ad isn't working.

I don't think what I just described is outrageous.
Yeah, creative professionals that Apple has been courting for years. I don't think so. I think you should shut off your device and spend time in the real world for a while.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Yeah, creative professionals that Apple has been courting for years. I don't think so. I think you should shut off your device and spend time in the real world for a while.
Wait…. You’re saying this wasn’t intended for creative professionals ?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Wait…. You’re saying this wasn’t intended for creative professionals ?
He's implying that experiencing the real world all the time is more inspiring to creative types then staring or listening with a computing devices all of the time. It's akin to all those that claimed working virtually is the same as being in the office. Its the same aspect that everything about you that you accidentally notice at work can effect your creativity like overhearing other people comments or seeing documentation others are working on then simply stuck in front of a computer all day. This is an issue that Apple cannot supersede with just snazzier faster computing devices. Most creative types are very attentive in noticing everything around them, anything might trigger some new creative thought or action. Computing devices are tools not complete replacements of reality or life experiences from their perspectives they just allow you to generate works a lot faster then older methods. ;)

Reactions: hagjohn

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Lol I’m afraid you got that wrong, I’m not upset about AI, it’s coming and I accepted it long ago. Also it’s clear you don’t work in advertising either because that ad is now living in your head rent free. And yes it WAS made to just show what an iPad does, if you read more then that in an advert advertising a product, I think that says more about you then anything else.
Yes, people who have a negative reaction might never buy an Apple product because of the tone-deaf advertising.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
He's implying that experiencing the real world all the time is more inspiring to creative types then staring or listening with a computing devices all of the time. It's akin to all those that claimed working virtually is the same as being in the office. Its the same aspect that everything about you that you accidentally notice at work can effect your creativity like overhearing other people comments or seeing documentation others are working on then simply stuck in front of a computer all day. This is an issue that Apple cannot supersede with just snazzier faster computing devices. Most creative types are very attentive in noticing everything around them, anything might trigger some new creative thought or action. Computing devices are tools not complete replacements of reality or life experiences from their perspectives they just allow you to generate works a lot faster then older methods. ;)
Ah, ok, yes, and I agree!

My folks just asked me if I am getting the Vision Pro , I said no, im trying to go the oppsoite direction and disconnect.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Lol I’m afraid you got that wrong, I’m not upset about AI, it’s coming and I accepted it long ago. Also it’s clear you don’t work in advertising either because that ad is now living in your head rent free. And yes it WAS made to just show what an iPad does, if you read more then that in an advert advertising a product, I think that says more about you then anything else.
You're just babbling nonsense cliches. It ain't rent free my friend, they probably blew a million bucks getting this debacle into my head and all it's doing up there is telling me not to buy another iPad from these clowns. And yeah, I work in advertising, so keep on telling me how it all works. It's funny.

• Haha
Reactions: whitby and Pezimak

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
I decided to watch that commercial a couple of times, just to see if I can figure out why I'm so uncomfortable with this commercial (besides what's already stated).

I think one of the main reasons why is because I personify objects that aren't alive. The "smiling face" thing being squished makes me feel bad for that thing. The humanistic art model, with the hands up trying to hold back the press, look like it's in pain as it gets squished down. To see the happy children's cartoon playing on the screen, before it blacks out from getting squished, makes me feel bad.

Advertisements shouldn't make a person feel bad - unless it's a call to action (i.e. "give us $5 a month to feed starving children").

Bad commercial all around :(

Reactions: whitby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.