Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gosell1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois
I've been looking heavily to getting the iPad Pro, Specifically the 128 GB with cellular at a price of $1079. Ive got an iPad Mini 2 with cellular, and think i could benefit from the capabilities of split screen with the huge display. Someone have a discussion with me on the positives, and help me deter all these negative posts.

Bonus: The :apple:Pencil, is it going to be a necessity? I understand you can use it without the Pencil, but would it be worth the extra $100?

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
For me personally? The size makes it usable as a virtual board for games such as Go. :p (Yes, this really is a plus for me, but it's admittedly very niche.)

Other highlights for me: 4 GB is definitely a plus when working with large audio files/projects (and other things). I like that it has four speakers, which (if done right) is great and a substantial step up from the non-headphones experience the other iPads offer. It's also faster (30%, someone said?), which is useful if you do CPU-intensive stuff on it (most people probably don't). The size will really emphasize the split-screen functionality, as you mentioned. The larger size paired with the keyboard will make it very usable for text processing, and the stylus opens up new possibility.

What it isn't for me is a device suitable for taking it out everywhere. If I get one, mine will live in the house.

(I think $99 for the pencil are all right. I'm not sure about the $169 for the keyboard.)

Gosell1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois
For me personally? The size makes it usable as a virtual board for games such as Go. :p (Yes, this really is a plus for me, but it's admittedly very niche.)

Other highlights for me: 4 GB is definitely a plus when working with large audio files/projects (and other things). I like that it has four speakers, which (if done right) is great and a substantial step up from the non-headphones experience the other iPads offer. It's also faster (30%, someone said?), which is useful if you do CPU-intensive stuff on it (most people probably don't). The size will really emphasize the split-screen functionality, as you mentioned. The larger size paired with the keyboard will make it very usable for text processing, and the stylus opens up new possibility.

What it isn't for me is a device suitable for taking it out everywhere. If I get one, mine will live in the house.

(I think $99 for the pencil are all right. I'm not sure about the $169 for the keyboard.)

I'm still on the fence, i really like the concept, but if i'm going to purchase, its gotta be the cellular version, which is limited to one price point which i'm extremely disappointed about. To be honest, i'm never going to use 128 GB of storage. I've had 16GB devices all along and they do just fine. I wish they would have offered a 32 GB cellular for like $849, would have made a lot more sense for me personally.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I'm definitely getting one. I just wish they had a 512GB version for about $300 more. Basically this is a larger iPad with apple pencil capability, and a variable refresh screen which is going to be color calibrated already which makes this great for my usage. It will also be more portable than even the new MacBook which makes it a prime computing device in the field for me.

Reactions: moxxham

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I can only speak for myself:

4 GB Ram (this will be great.)
Split screen - this will be very helpful when myself or mom are working on a project and need to refer to something else.

Large retina screen (Our eyes will thank us.)
Still lightweight for size
A smart keyboard that does not need charging
"Pencil" for handwriting, notations, doodles / sketching - my mom loves using calligraphy markers too.
Being able to read conformably without adjusting text or page size.
Speakers I have found the iPad speakers to be lacking, especially once the size slimmed down.
Handoff working with new Mac.

Being able to enjoy content I purchase from iTunes / elsewhere and not just tolerate it because the screen size is limited.

When I priced a celluar iPad Air 2 with a separate keyboard and everything else it came pretty darn close to $1k. I was also toying with the iPad Mini 4 for my commute alone. In my case, putting a bit more money into something that will be more than a just consumption device and will last a few years is worth it. The iPad Pro makes much more sense for something both me and my mother can use comfortably.

I cannot justify an Apple desktop and laptop. If I was earning a living creatively, sure, but I am not at that point yet.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I've been looking heavily to getting the iPad Pro, Specifically the 128 GB with cellular at a price of $1079. Ive got an iPad Mini 2 with cellular, and think i could benefit from the capabilities of split screen with the huge display. Someone have a discussion with me on the positives, and help me deter all these negative posts.

Bonus: The :apple:Pencil, is it going to be a necessity? I understand you can use it without the Pencil, but would it be worth the extra $100?

#1. Are you An Artist ? Constantly drawing ?
#2. Are you a CAD designer drawing complex shapes Engineering schematics ?
#3. Do you want to carry around a $1,400 Tablet ?
$1079 + $99 + $169 keyboard cover $1347 + Tax

I really really wanted to love the iPad Pro but I keep coming back to is my first 2 points.

its just a Huge iPAd.

Reactions: JoeRito

fob

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
Did the pro display get any improvements over an Air 2 besides refresh rate and timing controller? Seems like apple put more thoughts into the speakers on this one.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
If it will be "staying in the house" for most of you, why not just get a real computer aka MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc, etc? Way more complete and the portability is not a factor for you. The refurb deals are solid too. Just seems like the iPad Pro is priced too high once you deck it out. No cll except for top model. Eh.

Same cost too, maybe even less than a loaded iPad Pro. Right?

???????

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Someone have a discussion with me on the positives, and help me deter all these negative posts.

Theres only one undebatable positive. I am positive you will regret not waiting for an iPad Pro 2.

- No 3D Touch (on a PRO machine?)
- No included keyboard (on a PRO machine?!)
- No included pencil (on a PRO machine?!?)
- No file system (on a PRO machine?!?!)

Seriously though. Keyboard and Pencil truly are optional. (i have a Surface Pro 3 and the Pen novelty wore off quick since I'm not a student or artist). But I do feel the lack of 3D Touch is the dealbreaker for me. I want this machine so bad but we all know that iPad Pro 2 will include 3D touch and a price drop so at $1000 then thats just too much money to be doing annual upgrades on.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio.emt

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
The pencil sounds novel enough to be worth a lot, but at that price it costs double its competitor (Surface pen). The keyboard costs over double the price of Apple's own bluetooth keyboard. The surface keyboard costs $129, and it has a backlight and a trackpad. You can also view the screen from multiple angles.

While I don't doubt it's a quality device, I'm not convinced it makes sense as a Surface Pro competitor. I'd expect third-party accessories will do much better on the keyboard case front.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I understand the arguments against.

I absolutely love the rMB (almost caved several times in past two weeks), but I cannot justify owning a laptop and a desktop, my workflow does not require that. I am replacing my 2010 iMac in next 2-8 months and mom's iPad 2 too (she's not a laptop / desktop computer person.)

I won't comment about the Surface as I don't use Windows outside of my job.

So for me, the WiFi iPad Pro makes better sense. YMMV.

Reactions: itsOver9000

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
If it will be "staying in the house" for most of you, why not just get a real computer aka MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc, etc? Way more complete and the portability is not a factor for you.

Because those are not tablets, and they don't have a detachable keyboard. They also don't have touchscreens, and I can't put them flat on the table. Completely different devices, usability-wise.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why do you think they did not make the iPad Pro screen (aspect ratio) double the current iPad?
They showed how the iPad Pro is the same as the iPad is tall, but it's not as wide as two iPads.
This seems a shame
It would be great, if it was as wide as two normal iPads, so when in split screen mode, and in landscape, you had, in effect TWO iPad screens side by side.
I wonder why they did not do that as it seems it would be even easier then, no need to rescale anything, just two iPad Air screens side by side = iPad pro
would that not of been easier?

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Theres only one undebatable positive. I am positive you will regret not waiting for an iPad Pro 2.

Seriously though. Keyboard and Pencil truly are optional. (i have a Surface Pro 3 and the Pen novelty wore off quick since I'm not a student or artist). But I do feel the lack of 3D Touch is the dealbreaker for me. I want this machine so bad but we all know that iPad Pro 2 will include 3D touch and a price drop so at $1000 then thats just too much money to be doing annual upgrades on.

What is 3D touch????

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004

Why is the lack of 3D Touch a deal-breaker?
The Pencil is the pressure sensitive tool here. 3D Touch makes much more sense in an iPhone format more than anything else as you usually interact with one finger so a contextual menu can be available more readily.
iPad Pro 2 will almost certainly be offered at the same price as the current crop, so either get last year's model cheaper or pony up for the new one.

The "issues" you highlighted have nothing to do with what the iPad Pro currently is and isn't. These are just accessories. They won't be included next year either.

File system access on an iOS device? Forget it.

I know more than a few people who are just plain ecstatic about it - all of whom are artists.

I for one would buy it just for the sole purpose of easy PDF annotation, some occasional handwritten notes and reading PDFs without either zooming in and out like I do on my rMBP since the page orientation is all wrong, or having to do the same on my 9.7" iPad since an A4 size sheet of densely printed paper is illegible without zooming.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Why do you think they did not make the iPad Pro screen (aspect ratio) double the current iPad?
They showed how the iPad Pro is the same as the iPad is tall, but it's not as wide as two iPads.
This seems a shame
It would be great, if it was as wide as two normal iPads, so when in split screen mode, and in landscape, you had, in effect TWO iPad screens side by side.
I wonder why they did not do that as it seems it would be even easier then, no need to rescale anything, just two iPad Air screens side by side = iPad pro
would that not of been easier?

That would make for a very pixel-dense screen or, in the case of two iPads next each other, a 19.4" screen diagonal.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I am looking at the same option, 128GB with LTE. Mostly I want it because my current machine is aging and while it's still worth something I reason I can sell it for about the same as what I'd pay for the iPad Pro. I'm all for going more mobile and shaving some weight and having data wherever I am is a huge thing for me.

The others are optional, I will get them both because I am an artist and sketching my ideas is necessary before I start to make whatever it may be. The keyboard, why not, it's always good to have another functional option available as well as protection for the screen.

For the things that people are persistently whining about, I don't even understand 3D Touch and I don't plan on getting a 6S so I won't experience it for along time, I doubt it'll become a life tool and I'm sure I can live without. Running OS X? that's a dream. I don't think anyone is really thinking ahead, the OS is just software, it can be updated and perhaps Apple will create some sort of iOS iPad Pro centric feature that allows for a file browser and App developers are going to make the more desktop-esque apps we all love. They do it all the time with older devices that don't support some certain feature.

If what Apples claims are true about it being faster than most of the mobile computer that shipped this year (or whatever they said, something like that..) then there is a lot of wiggle room. Someone mentioned on another thread that their old Intel Duo Macbook can run Final Cut. I think it's a pretty fair assumption that if a 7 year old macbook can run a desktop app well enough to be useable, the iPad Pro can do similar or better performance with an iPad optimized app, it just doesn't exist yet.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
So much potential for the ipad pro. If MS provides OneNote support for the pencil this becomes a great
surface alternative with access to ios apps. I could see this as my main sketch and math tool. I really dont
need a hybrid--i want a solid pen(cil)

Reactions: thewusman

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I don't think anyone who's fallen for the iPad pro already would regret having one, it's clearly a divisive machine, but if a giant iPad makes sense then it makes sense. :) (it doesn't seem to make sense to a lot of folk!)

The big reason I'm interested in it is as an artist, so IMO it's a bit weird without the pencil, but if you just want it as a giant iPad that's cool too. I'm not sure I see many advantages outside of art and media consumption though? It's potentially a bit unwieldy!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I probably won't be getting the first gen, but looking at what it is capable of and what I use my laptop for I think it could replace it if I get the keyboard, and maybe when the 2nd gen comes out used pencils will be available cheaply to play with.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Even though I've been against this device since the rumors started, how ever long ago... The artist and Writer in me wants it a teeny tiny bit. On the other hand, the common sense part of me says, "no way Kal, too pricey and too big. The Air 2 is wonderful and all you need." I love the thinness and power of the Air 2 and the super quality screen.
I just dunno, this really is a tough choice, as the Pro does have a couple cool/good things.

The OP did ask for positives...

1.) Big size is good for writing and drawing with the iPencil.
2.) Faster CPU (up to 1.8X faster than A8X.)
3.) More powerful GPU (up to 2x more than A8X.)
4.) Still thin considering the size.
.......I got nothing else.
*Edit.... 5.) Good for Artists and writers?

Kal.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Surface Pro 3 keyboard was 130$. It obviously didn't have 3D touch, but that's irrelevant.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Definitely good for artists and writers.

As a would be scribe, I can definitely see using the pencil as much, if not more, than the smart keyboard. I mark up my screenplays, stories, books and school work all the time. This would be super helpful in math courses too.

While my mom has said no way to this, my thinking about how useful this will be for school and my writing has increased my leanings toward it. The confirmation of 4gb of RAM makes me think it will be useful for 2-3 years too. I understand it's limitations and the price point. I hope I can can give it a solid test run during my Fall writing course. :)

I am not a desktop and laptop person and I need something with a bigger screen that is still portable and flexible to serve as productivity and entertainment. This is one first gen product I want to try.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Surface Pro 3 keyboard was 130$. It obviously didn't have 3D touch, but that's irrelevant.
Surface Pro 3 keyboard is backlit and the positioning of the keyboard magnet puts the keyboard at a very comfortable tilt while the Surface kickstand gives users a wide range of flexibility in obtaining a comfortable position for both the user and the device. But thats irrelevant too if you choose for it to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.