Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Surface Pro 3 keyboard is backlit and the positioning of the keyboard magnet puts the keyboard at a very comfortable tilt while the Surface kickstand gives users a wide range of flexibility in obtaining a comfortable position for both the user and the device. But thats irrelevant too if you choose for it to be.

I'm more wondering how lap-able the iPad is. Because unless you're slender man, the SP3 isn't.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I'm more wondering how lap-able the iPad is. Because unless you're slender man, the SP3 isn't.
Have you used one? I had a Surface RT which was awful on the lap. But the SP3's adjustable kickstand actually is very lappable I used it as my couch computer and felt the versatility between "Tablet" and "Laptop" were great. But my biggest problem is that I favor OS X so I'm heavily considering the iPad Pro but probably with a 3rd party keyboard (or none at all).

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Have you used one? I had a Surface RT which was awful on the lap. But the SP3's adjustable kickstand actually is very lappable I used it as my couch computer and felt the versatility between "Tablet" and "Laptop" were great. But my biggest problem is that I favor OS X so I'm heavily considering the iPad Pro but probably with a 3rd party keyboard (or none at all).

I own one. Maybe our proportions are different. If I don't have it at the right angle, it can't be used while I'm sitting. Even then, I better not move much or it'll end up moving the remaining 1.5cm and off the lap it goes. The MBP never did that. The MBA never did that.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I've never bought anything from Apple off the Refurbished dept.
Does anybody know about how long it takes for a newly introduced item such as this to start showing up in the refurbs?

Gosell1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois
I've never bought anything from Apple off the Refurbished dept.
Does anybody know about how long it takes for a newly introduced item such as this to start showing up in the refurbs?
It wont be around for quite some time. The refurbished models are ones that people brought in when broken, and apple gave them a new one. id say some time in March before quite a few have been broken and they start offering refurbished models.

Reactions: DotCom2

Gosell1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois
I can only speak for myself:

4 GB Ram (this will be great.)
Split screen - this will be very helpful when myself or mom are working on a project and need to refer to something else.

Large retina screen (Our eyes will thank us.)
Still lightweight for size
A smart keyboard that does not need charging
"Pencil" for handwriting, notations, doodles / sketching - my mom loves using calligraphy markers too.
Being able to read conformably without adjusting text or page size.
Speakers I have found the iPad speakers to be lacking, especially once the size slimmed down.
Handoff working with new Mac.

Being able to enjoy content I purchase from iTunes / elsewhere and not just tolerate it because the screen size is limited.

When I priced a celluar iPad Air 2 with a separate keyboard and everything else it came pretty darn close to $1k. I was also toying with the iPad Mini 4 for my commute alone. In my case, putting a bit more money into something that will be more than a just consumption device and will last a few years is worth it. The iPad Pro makes much more sense for something both me and my mother can use comfortably.

I cannot justify an Apple desktop and laptop. If I was earning a living creatively, sure, but I am not at that point yet.

Coming from someone who also has a Macbook Pro(2012), i feel this will compliment it nicely. i hate using my laptop in bed and i think this will take over much of my school work. The pencil will be a HUGE plus for when i'm taking note in class(yes i plan to take it out of the house) and i do not plan on getting the keyboard, that's what i have a computer for.

Reactions: kazmac

Gosell1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois
I am looking at the same option, 128GB with LTE. Mostly I want it because my current machine is aging and while it's still worth something I reason I can sell it for about the same as what I'd pay for the iPad Pro. I'm all for going more mobile and shaving some weight and having data wherever I am is a huge thing for me.

The others are optional, I will get them both because I am an artist and sketching my ideas is necessary before I start to make whatever it may be. The keyboard, why not, it's always good to have another functional option available as well as protection for the screen.

For the things that people are persistently whining about, I don't even understand 3D Touch and I don't plan on getting a 6S so I won't experience it for along time, I doubt it'll become a life tool and I'm sure I can live without. Running OS X? that's a dream. I don't think anyone is really thinking ahead, the OS is just software, it can be updated and perhaps Apple will create some sort of iOS iPad Pro centric feature that allows for a file browser and App developers are going to make the more desktop-esque apps we all love. They do it all the time with older devices that don't support some certain feature.

If what Apples claims are true about it being faster than most of the mobile computer that shipped this year (or whatever they said, something like that..) then there is a lot of wiggle room. Someone mentioned on another thread that their old Intel Duo Macbook can run Final Cut. I think it's a pretty fair assumption that if a 7 year old macbook can run a desktop app well enough to be useable, the iPad Pro can do similar or better performance with an iPad optimized app, it just doesn't exist yet.

I agree, i've got a Macbook Pro (2012) and an iPad mini 2 (Cellular) that are both starting to age. I plan on keeping the Macbook and selling the iPad or giving it to one of my family members. I love having data anywhere, and cannot wait for the Pro to come out. It will be beneficial to get the pen for me, but i see no use in the keyboard. Final Cut would also be nice on the iPad!

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I personally see no reason for myself to get an iPad Pro but I see value for many specific situations. I think in a couple years, the usage may expand where I could see it feasible. I personally need OSX but a lot of people couldn't care less about the underlying OS and are more app focused. Also artists and others that do drawings. I could also see feasibility in those that teach classes as well and want to draw up notes. There are a lot of possibilities for the iPad Pro but if you don't see it, then I'd say wait and see.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
personally, i cant wait to upgrade to a Pro from my iPad2.

I'm an industrial artist by trade and find the regular ipad size almost impossible for conducting visual professional work of any credence on. Drawing just isn't an issue. Until now i hope.

Even doing my accounts and XL sheets will be great, and the ability to hand sketch notes and annotate emails is so exciting.

the lack of force touch isnt an issue for me, as aren't toughened glass and extra usb connectivity. i dont even use ipad for music/games/video or other forms of light entertainment.

what i would like, now the Pro is getting larger and more 'pro', is the ability for a wireless or bluetooth mouse facility.

Cant wait!

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Surface Pro 3 keyboard is backlit and the positioning of the keyboard magnet puts the keyboard at a very comfortable tilt while the Surface kickstand gives users a wide range of flexibility in obtaining a comfortable position for both the user and the device. But thats irrelevant too if you choose for it to be.

But the first generation had no back light and like what, one position, just like this keyboard....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.