Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Ever since updating my 2020 iPad Pro to iPad OS 14.4 I’ve been seeing terrible scrolling lag all over the OS. Doesn’t matter what app. Every few minutes it almost looks like pro motion is off and scrolling stutters and skips frames. I’ve already did a reset all settings, restarted, etc.

Not sure if the nuclear option of a full restore will do anything as I’m starting to see some similar issues popping up around the web.

If this is a OS issue then shame on apple because pro motion is essentially useless. Its VERY JARRING to be scrolling around fine one minute to then drop to 30FPS the next.

Anyone else seeing this?

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
My 11PM did this constantly. Finally reset and set up as a new device and haven’t seen it since.

Reactions: max2

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The only place I have stuttering/frame drops is on this website. I’ve had it since iOS13 on my iPad. I never updated my iPhone X to iOS13 and stayed on iOS12 and never had any issues. I had to update my X to iOS14 when I got my series 6 watch and as soon as I did the same stuttering/frame drops on this website started happening. Doesn’t do it anywhere else.. I’ve done a full restore and the stuttering persists. I even contacted the forum thinking it may be macrumors related and explained what’s happening and they say they can’t duplicate it..

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I just did a restore and nothing has changed. So unless theres some random rogue process running on and off I have no idea what else is causing these random frame drops and scrolling stutters in ALL apps.

Seems to me it’s still an iOS 14.4 issue since that’s when this all started. And the randomness of it is even more confusing.

Last edited:

SimC_123

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
I just did a restore and nothing has changed. So unless theres some random rogue process running on and off I have no idea what else is causing these random frame drops and scrolling stutters in ALL apps.

Seems to me it’s still an iOS 14.4 issue since that’s when this all started. And the randomness of it is even more confusing.
Well, You’re not the only one, I thought it was just me.. every web page, every app, settings etc.. and I get bad stuttering. on web pages the only way I can stop it is to scroll up and down the page quickly and then it stops, like it needs to catch up so to speak.. this is the same on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, my iPad Pro 2020, and both my partners and my sons iPhone 11’s, iPad mini and iPad 7th gen. not one device had this on 14.3, all of them have it on 14.4.. I have to say I’m not too happy..

rkenyon

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
Same for me. Mainly in Chrome, and it affects some websites for than others.

This is on an ipad 11 pro, and only started when I upgraded to 14.4

Reactions: jonnyb098

SimC_123

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
Hi, I thought I’d post this to see if this is the issue you guys are referring to.. posted in another thread but they had a different issue.. this is on my iPad Pro 2020..

rkenyon

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
It's difficult to see from you video. I saw a bit of a stutter. Mine is a lot worse - I'll try and do a video tomorrow.

Reactions: SimC_123

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Hi, I thought I’d post this to see if this is the issue you guys are referring to.. posted in another thread but they had a different issue.. this is on my iPad Pro 2020..

View attachment 1723837
Unfortunately screen recording is only 30FPS which will not show the stuttering at all. Youd have to take a video with another device at 120 FPS to show ....see video I took below at 120FPS. You will see particularly near the end of the video how it stutters then smooths out.

Very very jarring compared to the buttery smooth scrolling of the past .

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
Since my post on Sunday, I have noticed occasional ‘stutter‘ when scrolling in Safari. iPad Pro 11” (2018 model) on iPadOS 14.4.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I updated my iPad Pro 11” (2018 model) to iPadOS 14.4 on Wednesday. I’ve not encountered any stutters / skipped frames, etc.
seemed snappier at first (chuckle) but besides the rando ghost touch on the right side of the screen i didnt really see a difference

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I’ve disabled background app refresh completely and it seems to have helped but not eliminated it. The stuttering only lasts a couple seconds now periodically rather than a couple minutes like before.

I’d encourage everyone to see if that helps at all.

A couple other things I notice is that it seems to be worse during the day. When dark mode is on its virtually completely gone.

HardcoreAppleFan

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2020
Leave it
I am also facing similiar stuttering issues as well.Stuttering everywhere from youtube to setting menu to general scrolling. Even my pubg which support 90 fps have terrible stuttering . Even 60fps gameplay is not smooth at all their is stuttering as well . This happening from 14.3 update on my ipad pro.

Sinxro

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
The same issue with my new iPad Pro 11 2020 after updating to iOS 14.4

SimC_123

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
Just out of interest what’s it like playing videos for you guys? When I run a stutter test on YouTube the text that scrolls across at 60fps is clearly stuttering and flickering on my iPad Pro 2020, when I run the same video on my 12 pro max or my sons iPad 7th gen it’s completely smooth with no stuttering or flickering..

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
I've noticed this on my 11 Pro Max as well since 14.4
It's not a night and day difference, but definitely something I have noticed occasionally when closing apps.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Here’s a video I took at 120fps slo mo to show how there is actually pausing and frame drps when scrolling. The news app, Apple Music, and safari are the worst offenders. Feels like my $1000 iPad Pro is a Samsung galaxy tab from 2012.

SimC_123

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
I’ve also noticed that on my iPad Pro when the scrolling slows down, just before it’s stops there is what I can only describe as micro stuttering.. barely noticeable but still.. I’m starting to become increasingly frustrated with it all now.. last year I was using an old iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6s Plus, both on iOS13, both with zero problems, no stuttering, no lag, nothing. I updated to apple’s so called “pro” line and iOS14 and they are a mess.. not at all what I expected. I used to say that I used Apple products because “they just work”.. but now they don’t. And rather than bringing out new features with every update I would prefer they fix the problems.. so sorry for the rant, but it’s cost me a lot of money and I’m not happy..

Reactions: jonnyb098

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I’ve also noticed that on my iPad Pro when the scrolling slows down, just before it’s stops there is what I can only describe as micro stuttering.. barely noticeable but still.. I’m starting to become increasingly frustrated with it all now.. last year I was using an old iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6s Plus, both on iOS13, both with zero problems, no stuttering, no lag, nothing. I updated to apple’s so called “pro” line and iOS14 and they are a mess.. not at all what I expected. I used to say that I used Apple products because “they just work”.. but now they don’t. And rather than bringing out new features with every update I would prefer they fix the problems.. so sorry for the rant, but it’s cost me a lot of money and I’m not happy..
You have every right to be ticked off. For as much money as apple charges for stuff we expect it to scroll smoother than a 5 year old android device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.