Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woody@

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
Ever since updating my 2020 iPad Pro to iPad OS 14.4 I’ve been seeing terrible scrolling lag all over the OS. Doesn’t matter what app. Every few minutes it almost looks like pro motion is off and scrolling stutters and skips frames. I’ve already did a reset all settings, restarted, etc.

Not sure if the nuclear option of a full restore will do anything as I’m starting to see some similar issues popping up around the web.

If this is a OS issue then shame on apple because pro motion is essentially useless. Its VERY JARRING to be scrolling around fine one minute to then drop to 30FPS the next.

Anyone else seeing this?
Ever since updating my 2020 iPad Pro to iPad OS 14.4 I’ve been seeing terrible scrolling lag all over the OS. Doesn’t matter what app. Every few minutes it almost looks like pro motion is off and scrolling stutters and skips frames. I’ve already did a reset all settings, restarted, etc.

Not sure if the nuclear option of a full restore will do anything as I’m starting to see some similar issues popping up around the web.

If this is a OS issue then shame on apple because pro motion is essentially useless. Its VERY JARRING to be scrolling around fine one minute to then drop to 30FPS the next.

Anyone else seeing this?
Same with my iPad pro 3rd gen 12.9” but I have had this in earlier versions. It manifested itself after scrolling longer pages or multiple images in Safari and various apps, but not in  Apple Photos

I have several other intermittent issues since upgrading to 14.4 including:

Touch buttons often don’t work or end up selecting the txt in them
Home Screen sometimes won’t respond to touch/launch apps
Trouble selecting text
and others, I wish I hadn’t upgraded

Woody@

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016

Anyone else seeing this?
Same with my iPad pro 3rd gen 12.9” but I have had this in earlier iPadOS 14 versions. It manifested itself after scrolling longer pages or multiple images in Safari and various apps, but not  Apple Photos app.

several other issues since upgrading to 14.4 including:
some link buttons do nothing
Touch buttons often don’t work or end up selecting the txt in them
Home Screen sometimes won’t respond to touch/launch ap
and others, I wish I hadn’t upgraded

Last edited:

Red202002

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Here is a slow mo video (120fps) I made of this issue. You could see the stuttering and lag at around 0:22 and it stays like that for the rest of the video.

This is an iPad Pro 10.5 with 120hz display.

PubgGuy

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2021
I am also facing similiar stuttering issues as well.Stuttering everywhere from youtube to setting menu to general scrolling. Even my pubg which support 90 fps have terrible stuttering . Even 60fps gameplay is not smooth at all their is stuttering as well . This happening from 14.3 update on my ipad pro.
Are you having crazy ping spikes? I’m on a 11 pro 2018 and since updating my ping has been spiking from 40ms to like 900ms! thats using mobile data, its stable on WiFi but very laggy and loading keeps popping up in between matches!

HardcoreAppleFan

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2020
Leave it
No my ping is stable as i mostly on wifi. But yes their a a lag now. Sometime joystick stuck and no movement at all. Lagging and render is terrible now. I
Are you having crazy ping spikes? I’m on a 11 pro 2018 and since updating my ping has been spiking from 40ms to like 900ms! thats using mobile data, its stable on WiFi but very laggy and loading keeps popping up in between matches!

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
For me I started noticng it since ios/ipados 14. It is extremely frustrating. It happens in my iphone 11por max, in my ipad pro 10.5. It happens in safari and a LOT in Waze. Waze is almost unusable, it freezes for half a second when "scrolling" or moving the screen around. I have seen the benchemarks and the graphics performance took a big hit sin ios 14 and Appld does not bother to fix. Tim does not uses its devices, he just slles them. He is busy making millions instead based on previous fame rather than actually doing somethig to keep the fame.
i have tried everythig and nothing helps. I regret the "downgrade" to IOS 14. Makes me feel like I need to buy a new ipad amd iphone every year to compensate for the poor sw performance.
My next pho will be Samsung or a Chinese one.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017

Anyone else seeing this?
I have this same issue on my 10.5 Pro.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Finally updated my 10.5 iPad Pro from iOS 12 to 14.6 and having same scrolling lag/issues.

Tweetdeck in Safari or Chrome sideways scroll leaves open blocks (light grey spaces) for a second or two before filling them in:

Tweetdeck issues ios 14.6 blurred.png

I also have significant stuttering in the Slack App scrolling up and down the conversation now.

So far that's all I've seen since updating to 14.6 yesterday.

VenomOus

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2021

Anyone else seeing this?
Hello guys,Just got my new 2021 iPad pro with m1 chip yesterday. Did a complete account restore(data and settings) from my old iPad pro 2017. Was happy and excited. But soon noticed the stuttering issue and thought it would go after a restart but didnt. Frames wer dropping in the main menu and settings menu drastically. But didn’t drop frames while playing games or any other activity. Was very tensed to see this, thought I’ll have to take it to the service centre and all those hectic routines. Just bfre deciding, I thought of reset’ing the whole iPad. But planned to keep the settings. Surprisingly this solved the issue I had and totally satisfied now. No more stuttering or frame drops. I woould like it if everyone who has this issue to try this resolution.
Settings > General > Reset > Reset all Settings
Please try Reset all Content and Settings if normal reset didnt work out.

Reactions: Spikezster

Spikezster

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2021
Plymouth
Hello guys,Just got my new 2021 iPad pro with m1 chip yesterday. Did a complete account restore(data and settings) from my old iPad pro 2017. Was happy and excited. But soon noticed the stuttering issue and thought it would go after a restart but didnt. Frames wer dropping in the main menu and settings menu drastically. But didn’t drop frames while playing games or any other activity. Was very tensed to see this, thought I’ll have to take it to the service centre and all those hectic routines. Just bfre deciding, I thought of reset’ing the whole iPad. But planned to keep the settings. Surprisingly this solved the issue I had and totally satisfied now. No more stuttering or frame drops. I woould like it if everyone who has this issue to try this resolution.
Please try Settings > General > Reset > Reset all Settings
Reset all Content and Settings if normal reset didnt work out.
Thanks this has made my ipad like new. I upgraded from a 5th gen to a 6thgen ipad as I thought my ipad was getting "old" and wondered why my performance was so bad wish I did this a year ago when I got the 6th. Luckily didn't pay much towards the 6th. I did the Settings > General > Reset > Reset all Settings as didn't want to setup from scratch.

I'd recommend the above if you do a transfer from an old device to a new one and its still slow. Mine was stuttering when playing Spotify and struggling to scroll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.