Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

booridik

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2019
just had my ipadpro 11, coming from 2017 ipadpro. with all the bending issues on the 2018 model, i still dont believe that these are preparations for apple's plan to make foldable ipads...seriously, im learning a lot from the discussions here! thanks for your insights

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
All I am saying is that most critics here don’t even have experience with the product (unlike the MBP keyboard where most of the problems were reported by actual owners) - and I feel like they are riding on a wave of criticism and listening to Apple critics on YT rather than actual reviewers and users. That is all I am saying.

You repeatedly miss the point through your entire defense of Apple here. I've seen you make this accusation several times now.

You are correct. Many of the posters here on this thread do not own the latest iPad Pro (including myself). But this is end result of the problem. Apple is missing out on additional revenue -- and former fans of the product are becoming jaded -- because of the stories from those who have owned the units and were disappointed with their durability. The opinion of the non-owners here is critical to the problem at hand, and they represent what Apple should be trying to avoid -- folks who will refuse to buy because there's too many reported stories to ensure their comfort when spending upwards of $1500 on a device.

There are many like me who used to upgrade iPads every other year or so, but will hold onto their dollars until this issue is resolved to their satisfaction, or will wander off to a competitor never to return.

You can't just discuss cause without discussing reaction. The two will always go together, and the reaction will always be what a company will want to mitigate by reducing or eliminating cause.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
There are many like me who used to upgrade iPads every other year or so, but will hold onto their dollars until this issue is resolved to their satisfaction, or will wander off to a competitor never to return.

”Many” is a very relative term. Also, there is the question of what exactly is a satisfactory resolution for you. If it’s “iPads shouldn’t bend under normal usage” then I think the matter is already solved. You obviously disagree, so I guess there is a certain measure of rigidity that you expect, but my guess is that it goes beyond the physical capability of such a thin device with a Pencil charging slot, in which case, I guess wandering to competitors without returning lies in your future. However, let me be clear - if Apple does manage to make the device stronger - and keep the form factor and charging - it will surely be for the better. All I’m saying is that I, personally, don’t believe the issue to be as dramatic as YT videos and some users here make it out to be, especially since most of these users don’t have actual experience with the device.

You can't just discuss cause without discussing reaction. The two will always go together, and the reaction will always be what a company will want to mitigate by reducing or eliminating cause.

That’s just it, I think the cause for the reaction is, for the most part, bs. This is just how I see it, I know you disagree and that is fine.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I guess there is a certain measure of rigidity that you expect...

Absolutely.

...my guess is that it goes beyond the physical capability of such a thin device with a Pencil charging slot...

Yes. Thinness was never an issue to me. I believe the former iPads were plenty thin and served my needs and comfort levels.

...I guess wandering to competitors without returning lies in your future.

I hope not. I love the Apple ecosystem and I'm not a big fan of Windows. Lastly, the one limiting factor so far that's kept me from the Surface Pro is its lack of cellular capability. I have a feeling that will be addressed in the next version.

However, let me be clear - if Apple does manage to make the device stronger - and keep the form factor and charging - it will surely be for the better.

I absolutely agree and look forward to the changes.

...I, personally, don’t believe the issue to be as dramatic as YT videos ... make it out to be...

I put very little stock in the sensationalism of most YouTube bloggers. I rarely watch them and refuse to take purchasing guidance from them alone.

...especially since most of these users don’t have actual experience with the device.

I wouldn't recommend purchasing advise from those folks either. They, however, are the reaction to the event, not the cause, as discussed in my post. Their opinions are bellwethers to what a company should be paying attention to in these situations.

I think the cause for the reaction is, for the most part, bs. ... I know you disagree and that is fine.

While I might disagree with your level of "cause", it's difficult to disagree with the "reaction". The reaction is real. Whether it's a valid or proper reaction can't really be disputed, since it's personal to each individual. The end result, though, is that the reaction removes sales revenue from Apple -- in some cases maybe even long term. It's up to Apple to decide if the numbers are large enough to warrant concern or change on their part. We will never know those numbers, so it's difficult to predict where they will go with this.

I for one am keeping my fingers crossed that they'll make changes.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
No where in those videos did they say or did I see those iPads were pre-bent. I have a tin-foil hat if you need it. ;) jk, but really what do you want Apple to do? Use Titanium or Magnesium? Both will still bend.

Good luck with that, also working at Best Buy Geeksquad, I had more Samsung and Windows tablets come in with bends, bad screens, software issues, or defects than iPads. I saw one or two iPads ever that just didn't work or had a body defect... but no crazy bent iPads (like everyone saying here) that I ever saw of the 2+ years working there. The Samsung tablets on display are bent FYI. I can grab a photo and post it here next week if everyone wants. Truth is, I'll take an iPad that needs basic consideration of care while owning but works and does all I paid for... vs a windows tablet/laptop that calls for software errors, updates, and reformatting 3x a month... plus all the fun malware, virus, and spyware that come with it. If you think Windows are an alternative... good for you, no one here is stopping you from grabbing one. Again, I'll take a working product that can potentially get broken if used carelessly than a product that sucks out of the gate and can also get broken without proper consideration.

Can we please use a little more logic in these threads everyone? Science is real and no matter what manufacturer makes what tablet... it can/will bend too. Again I see no point to this thread, I have owned 9 of the 2018 iPad Pros (returned them due to the touch error that occurred before iOS 11.3.) NONE had a single bend, I checked each one and none were defective that way.
Do I like Apple... yes and no, I love the iPad and iPhone, but I dislike the MacBooks, crazy cult stuff that occurs here and there, and the high prices... but I'll take a device that may bend but works flawlessly vs anything else (cause anything else actually sucks to use from my experience.) All this is my opinion, take it or throw it.

Still waiting.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
I didn't see that you responded because you didn't quote or reply to my original post until now, (so I wasn't notified until tonight.) I also didn't hear anyone else ask for the photos... so I'll get some uploaded this weekend.

I especially want to see all those bent Samsung Tab S4's and Tab S3's, but Tab S2's or Tab A's will do too. I'm familiar with all of them and I know they don't bend with normal and even rather rough usage - and in fact you could run at least the first two models, over with a tank and they wouldn't bend. They are made of glass. They'd break but not bend. I'm not familiar with their newest intermediate model Tab S5e. The Tab S4 is their top of the line model.

Quote: "I had more Samsung and Windows tablets come in with bends...The Samsung tablets on display are bent FYI."

Last edited:

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I especially want to see all those bent Samsung Tab S4's and Tab S3's, but Tab S2's or Tab A's will do too. I'm familiar with all of them and I know they don't bend with normal and even rather rough usage - and in fact you could run at least the first two models, over with a tank and they wouldn't bend. They are made of glass. They'd break but not bend. I'm not familiar with their newest intermediate model Tab S5e. The Tab S4 is their top of the line model.

Quote: "I had more Samsung and Windows tablets come in with bends...The Samsung tablets on display are bent FYI."
Apologies for my snarky post earlier.
Anyways, 2 years at Best Buy, I saw more cosmetic issues with Samsung compared to Apple, (I'm not denying that iPads bend, but this generation are no more "bendable than Air 2 through Air 3. Whether you believe me or not, is not a concern of mine. These photos I took show the slight warping, but in person they look like warped/bent iPads I have seen, but the angle I took here has no reference point, so it doesn't show the issue as bad. Again if you disagree... eh, that's life.
Truth remains, all thinner aluminum or plastic tablets or computers warp or bend, or can be bent easily, because... science.

Attachments

• errtutyru.jpeg
    errtutyru.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 441
  • yhrtujfygjgk.jpeg
    yhrtujfygjgk.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 425
Reactions: xx22 and aevan

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Apologies for my snarky post earlier.
Anyways, 2 years at Best Buy, I saw more cosmetic issues with Samsung compared to Apple, (I'm not denying that iPads bend, but this generation are no more "bendable than Air 2 through Air 3. Whether you believe me or not, is not a concern of mine. These photos I took show the slight warping, but in person they look like warped/bent iPads I have seen, but the angle I took here has no reference point, so it doesn't show the issue as bad. Again if you disagree... eh, that's life.
Truth remains, all thinner aluminum or plastic tablets or computers warp or bend, or can be bent easily, because... science.

No problem but thanks for the apology! The mod seems to have removed your "snarkiness" and I removed my own snarkiness to the other feller where you see the series of dots.

What do you mean by "cosmetic issues"?

Those are all photos of the Samsung model I'm not familiar with, their newest thinnest "budget" model. Can't say that I can see a bend in them though, nor do I see anyone complaining about that model bending online.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy_uk

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
No problem but thanks for the apology! The mod seems to have removed your "snarkiness" and I removed my own snarkiness to the other feller where you see the series of dots.

What do you mean by "cosmetic issues"?

Those are all photos of the Samsung model I'm not familiar with, their newest thinnest "budget" model. Can't say that I can see a bend in them though, nor do I see anyone complaining about that model bending online.

Come on, you can easily see they are slightly bent. Not a huge bend, but still, not straight.

The point is - thin tablets bend when handled roughly. It doesn’t matter if they are the “newest budget model” (nice try :)) or not, it matters it’s very thin. Thin devices bend more easily than thick ones. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have thin tablets, it just means you can’t jam every product in a packed bag that you throw around and forget about it.

Use it within reason for a thin and light device - and you won’t have a bent one. This is why most people and reviewers don’t have bend issues with the new Pros.

Of course, there are people who genuinely took care of their device and still had issues - but this happens with every product. I do hope they get to replace, return or fix their devices.

Last edited:

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Come on, you can easily see they are slightly bent. Not a huge bend, but still, not straight.

The point is - thin tablets bend when handled roughly. It doesn’t matter if they are the “newest budget model” (nice try :)) or not, it matters it’s very thin. Thin devices bend more easily than thick ones. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have thin tablets, it just means you can’t jam every product in a packed bag that you throw around and forget about it.

Use it within reason for a thin and light device - and you won’t have a bent one. This is why most people and reviewers don’t have bend issues with the new Pros.

Of course, there are people who genuinely took care of their device and still had issues - but this happens with every product. I do hope they get to replace, return or fix their devices.

The S5e is cheaper, thinner, lighter, and stronger. Clearly Apple could have designed the Pros better but it probably would have affected their margins.

Apple charges $449/$650 to fix bent 11/12.9 Pros.

Reactions: xx22

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Clearly Apple could have designed the Pros better but it probably would have affected their margins.
I agree completely, its a margins/profit level game, they sat on the butterfly keyboard for years w/o offering a repair, as it was cheaper to have the consumer pay for out of warranty work on the keyboards.

I still hope that the bending issue is being addressed or was addressed with a silent change to case.

Reactions: xx22

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017

No I cannot. It looks tilted that's all. Place it alongside a straight edge if you want to demonstrate an alleged bend. Also I did a search for that model - Samsung's "budget" tablet and also its thinnest tablet - bending and came up with nothing. Search for the IpPad Pro bending and, as you know, there will be countless hits.

Ain't this cute:

"
Apple Is Blaming 'Bent' iPad Pros On User's Eyes"

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/01/the-ipad-pro-isnt-bent-youre-just-looking-at-it-wrong/#

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
Just to add my 5 cents to this discussion. I am somebody who does not easily believe claims like "all iPads Pro are bent", so I decided to test an iPad Pro 11 myself... and here are the results.

The iPad Pro 11 (Wi-Fi only model) I ordered from Online Apple Store was a little bit bent out of the box on one side. How do I know it? I put the iPad on a piece of A4 paper lying on a flat table. Then I turned the right side (the side of the back facing camera) and the left side (the opposing side) to my camera and shot a few photos. It was quite a challenge to capture everything well.

Right side:

WjA6ySO.jpg

Left side:

9gBJH5u.jpg

Right side (bent):

My conclusion is that the right side is slightly bent. You can see a gap in the middle between the iPad and the piece of paper. If I press on this side, it moves down and the gap closes.

6o5KXfN.jpg

Left side (not bent):

The left side does not suffer from the same problem and is perfectly flat. If I press on this side, nothing happens.

sMfVSDT.jpg

It seems that the new iteration of the iPad Pro has a less than ideal structural integrity compared to the previous generations. Do not forget that this is a new device that I just took out of the box. I think that it is due to the placement of the huge camera bump on the right side and a rather weak reinforcement of the chassis: so, physics does its work here (mainly on one side where the camera is) and, in my view, it will get only worse with the years (especially, if you use no protective case). Personally, I am not a huge fan of these camera bumps and would rather prefer a slightly thicker device or a less advanced camera without any bump like in the iPad Air 3.

The iPad Pro I have here has a great screen and looks amazing, but the fact that it came bent was the main reason for me to return this device and to wait for the updated iPad Pro. It looks like Apple is aware of this problem: an Apple customer service employee didn't sound surprised at all when I explained why I wanted to return the device and immediately offered to take it back.

To be honest, I have never experienced any kind of bending issues with the previous iPads Air or Pro and hope that this issue will be fixed by Apple. (similarly to the same problem with the iPhone 6 that was fixed in the iPhone 6S when Apple switched to the use of the 7000 series aluminum alloy) I can see myself using this great looking tablet as long as it is not bent and/or is not going to bend in a few years.

Let's wait and see.

Last edited:

spraycansoul

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2019
Just to add my 5 cents to this discussion. I am somebody who does not easily believe claims that "all iPads Pro are bent", so I decided to test an iPad Pro 11 myself... and here are the results.

The iPad Pro 11 I ordered from Online Apple Store was a little bit bent out of the box. How do I know it? I put the iPad on a piece of A4 paper lying on a flat table. Then I turned the right side (the side of the back facing camera) and the left side (the opposing side) to my camera and shot a few photos. It was quite a challenge to capture everything well.

Right side:

WjA6ySO.jpg

Left side:

9gBJH5u.jpg

Right side (bent):

My conclusion is that the right side is slightly bent. You can see a bigger gap in the middle between the iPad and the piece of paper. If I press on this side, it moves down and closes the gap.

6o5KXfN.jpg

Left side (not bent):

The left side does not suffer from the same problem and is perfectly flat. If I press on this side, nothing happens.

sMfVSDT.jpg

It seems that the new iteration of the iPad Pro has a less than ideal structural integrity compared to the previous generations. Do not forget that this is a new device that I just took out of the box.

The iPad Pro I have here has a great screen and looks amazing, but the fact that it came bent was the main reason for me to return this device and to wait for the updated iPad Pro. It looks like Apple is aware of this problem: an Apple customer service employee didn't sound surprised at all when I explained why I wanted to return the device and immediately offered to take it back.

To be honest, I have never experienced any kind of bending issues with the previous iPads Air or Pro and hope that this issue will be fixed by Apple. (similarly to the same problem with the iPhone 6 that was fixed in the iPhone 6S when Apple switched to the use of the 7000 series aluminum alloy) I can see myself using this advanced tablet as long as it is not bent and/or is not going to bend in a few years.

Let's wait and see.

Thanks for posting.

Can I ask was this Wi-Fi only model?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Is AC+ claims covering bends as they progress worse if they come out of the box as minimal or not bent at all?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Just to add my 5 cents to this discussion. I am somebody who does not easily believe claims that "all iPads Pro are bent", so I decided to test an iPad Pro 11 myself... and here are the results.

The iPad Pro 11 (Wi-Fi only model) I ordered from Online Apple Store was a little bit bent out of the box on one side. How do I know it? I put the iPad on a piece of A4 paper lying on a flat table. Then I turned the right side (the side of the back facing camera) and the left side (the opposing side) to my camera and shot a few photos. It was quite a challenge to capture everything well.

Right side:

WjA6ySO.jpg

Left side:

9gBJH5u.jpg

Right side (bent):

My conclusion is that the right side is slightly bent. You can see a bigger gap in the middle between the iPad and the piece of paper. If I press on this side, it moves down and the gap closes.

6o5KXfN.jpg

Left side (not bent):

sMfVSDT.jpg

It seems that the new iteration of the iPad Pro has a less than ideal structural integrity compared to the previous generations. Do not forget that this is a new device that I just took out of the box. I think that it is due to the placement of the huge camera bump on the right side and a rather weak reinforcement of the chassis: so, physics does its work here (mainly on one side where the camera is) and, in my view, it will get only worse with the years (especially, if you use no protective case). Personally, I am not a huge fan of these camera bumps and would rather prefer a slightly thicker device or a less advanced camera without any bump like in the iPad Air 3.

To be honest, I have never experienced any kind of bending issues with the previous iPads Air or Pro and hope that this issue will be fixed by Apple. (similarly to the same problem with the iPhone 6 that was fixed in the iPhone 6S when Apple switched to the use of the 7000 series aluminum alloy) I can see myself using this great looking tablet as long as it is not bent and/or is not going to bend in a few years.

Let's wait and see.
Thanks for taking the time to write up and share pics. It's a shame you had to spend time and money to see what has been reported but it helps highlight the potential issue. Report this to Apple.

I see you think it's due to the camera bump but your bend is right next to where Apple saw fit to cut a big hole in the side wall to add a magnet and charger for the Apple pencil. This is clearly the weak point as there's barely any metal left to keep the structure.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write up and share pics. It's a shame you had to spend time and money to see what has been reported but it helps highlight the potential issue. Report this to Apple.

I see you think it's due to the camera bump but your bend is right next to where Apple saw fit to cut a big hole in the side wall to add a magnet and charger for the Apple pencil. This is clearly the weak point as there's barely any metal left to keep the structure.

Correct, see 6:45 for further information

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008

You are most welcome. Apple is aware of this issue and my only hope is that it will be fixed in the new generation of the iPad Pro. Fortunately, we don't have to wait for too long before it will finally be released.

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
I’m not saying people aren’t having issues with their iPads, but this guy lost all credibility IMO with his opening statement.

“Ok, so, I woke up 2 days ago and I looked down at my iPad, and lo and behold it was bent.”

Look at the bend in that thing......there’s no way it just spontaneously bent overnight......and I find it unlikely he wouldn’t have noticed it the last time he used it.

sure, also look at all the scuff marks. this ipad looked like it was dropped. Anyways ipp 2018 it badly designed device...not a new thing with apple lately.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
sure, also look at all the scuff marks. this ipad looked like it was dropped. Anyways ipp 2018 it badly designed device...not a new thing with apple lately.

Two scuff marks near the pencil charger is a known issue from the way the pencil attaches magnetically (the pencil also becomes scuffed over time)

Drops cause the back panel to warp into waves around the two batteries so no warp is evidence against a drop (see, we do learn things from drop tests)

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
6 months now of putting mine in a leather soft-sided briefcase on a daily basis, multiple airplane flights with it shoved in a backpack and still perfectly flat. No scuff marks where the pencil attaches nor is the pencil itself scuffed.

My wife's (which was purchased at the same time as mine) is still perfectly straight and she is known in the family of not being gentle with her electronic devices. She frequently leaves hers laying on the bed when she is not using it and I have witnessed our Miniature Schnauzer and our 80 lb. Golden Lab step directly on her iPad and it is still perfectly flat and works as it should.

It's one of the best Apple devices I have purchased, will only get better with iOS 13, and I'm glad I learned to ignore the small, very vocal minority that have no first hand usage of the device screaming at the top of their lungs how flawed a device it is. Especially the ones that don't even own the device. I'm enjoying the device while some lament the device they have no experience with and don't get to enjoy using the device.

Reactions: aevan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.