Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Iv been to Apple store today..

first person I saw blamed the environment and said it’s not covered.

I went straight onto Apple support who linked an article to my case around the bending told me it’s covered under warranty.

went straight back to store had another assessment he said no it’s environment bare in mind no actual damaged what so ever to my device apart from the casing bending away from the screen, so still not replaced....

I phoned Apple support sent some pictures across voila suddenly it’s covered and they will do a mail in return with me...

All this faffing for a device that costs more than a second hand car... :p:D

Reactions: Aydy

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
At least you got it repaired w/o having to pay for it
The store wanted to charge all because of this very small dimple....

then backtracked saying it’s bent because of something in the environment...

Attachments

• 524B4C22-00D4-4384-AD09-9B9365103A55.jpeg
    524B4C22-00D4-4384-AD09-9B9365103A55.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 517

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
6 months now of putting mine in a leather soft-sided briefcase on a daily basis, multiple airplane flights with it shoved in a backpack and still perfectly flat. No scuff marks where the pencil attaches nor is the pencil itself scuffed.

My wife's (which was purchased at the same time as mine) is still perfectly straight and she is known in the family of not being gentle with her electronic devices. She frequently leaves hers laying on the bed when she is not using it and I have witnessed our Miniature Schnauzer and our 80 lb. Golden Lab step directly on her iPad and it is still perfectly flat and works as it should.

It's one of the best Apple devices I have purchased, will only get better with iOS 13, and I'm glad I learned to ignore the small, very vocal minority that have no first hand usage of the device screaming at the top of their lungs how flawed a device it is. Especially the ones that don't even own the device. I'm enjoying the device while some lament the device they have no experience with and don't get to enjoy using the device.

Dang right, we're vocal. We spent good money for a premium device. I'm on my replacement 12.9" Pro nd it has the same unresponsive keyboard problem the last one had. Trust me, it's not in our imaginations. I've owned iPads literally since the day the original iPad with cellular came out. And guess what, that iPad still works fine.

Reactions: Aydy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there a back case that would stiffen the iPad pro body and protect it from bending?
It seems not, as some people had it in some pretty hefty cases. I think many of the bending issues I've seen are related to how people travel/commute with them. Many of them use backpacks and I think that will spell disaster regardless of the case.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
It seems not, as some people had it in some pretty hefty cases. I think many of the bending issues I've seen are related to how people travel/commute with them. Many of them use backpacks and I think that will spell disaster regardless of the case.
You have to wonder who would design a travel device that can’t travel in a backpack? I got a Tech21 plastic shell from the apple store for our 10.5” iPad but I will hold off replacing my gen 1 12.5 iPad until I can protect it. My last visit to apple genius was a several hour marathon to replace a apple “SMART” keyboard which is designed to last about 1 1/2 years. My replacement is due again soon. The folding ipad will be a disposable ipad.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Iv been to Apple store today..

first person I saw blamed the environment and said it’s not covered.

I went straight onto Apple support who linked an article to my case around the bending told me it’s covered under warranty.

went straight back to store had another assessment he said no it’s environment bare in mind no actual damaged what so ever to my device apart from the casing bending away from the screen, so still not replaced....

I phoned Apple support sent some pictures across voila suddenly it’s covered and they will do a mail in return with me...

All this faffing for a device that costs more than a second hand car... :p:D
What did they mean by “environment”?

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
Heres the problem...I myself been through several ipad pros, and each and every time i return them knowing how fragile they are, thus trigging my paranoia not to use them for ultimately getting a bent device they refused to fix.

If they just used a stronger grade of aluminum.

I am not expecting them to make these things military grade combat ready devices. You want that, you can add a special case to it for that grade of protection.

i just want a device that wont bend with normal every day use.

If the rumors are true, and they do put out a new pro this year (i doubt it tbh cause its usually 18 months or more between product generations with ipads) and the one new feature is stronger aluminum, i will gladly buy the new one in a heart beat!

i dont think its unfair of apple costumers who are already paying a premium for the privilege of using their product, to expect it to be durable enough to last with everyday use!

Blaster13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
What did they mean by “environment”?
He would not elaborate that with me, just said it’s the environment. Now the pads been in my bedroom constantly in an Apple made case since day dot. I live in uk so defo not hot enough to bend the alloy.
[doublepost=1565385754][/doublepost]
I would hazard a guess that he's blaming the location that the iPad is being used and that location is such that it caused the problems, instead of normal usage.
I personally think they wanted to pass the buck to Apple customer support rather than make the decision in store. He spoke with them online off my pad whilst there and when she linked him to the article about bending iPads, he straight away said I think these should be dealing with it.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
I would hazard a guess that he's blaming the location that the iPad is being used and that location is such that it caused the problems, instead of normal usage.

If so, thats an absurd thing to say!! It’s not like it was in a war zone or in some extreme geolocation!!

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Seems like the bad batch got sorted out and replaced. A non issue in the end. Glad to see not many issues anymore.
I honestly never ran across this with the 30+ iPads I handled (5 of those were my 12.9" swapped back and forth due to the touch sensitivity issue) The other 2 are when I bought the 11" Pro, 2x because the first one had a scratch on the glass... all others I have handled played with and checked out (just like I checked my own) all iPads from the Apple Store, Best Buy, Costco, and anywhere else that had them on display since I received my iPad... none were bent or warped and looked great.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I honestly never ran across this with the 30+ iPads I handled (5 of those were my 12.9" swapped back and forth due to the touch sensitivity issue) The other 2 are when I bought the 11" Pro, 2x because the first one had a scratch on the glass... all others I have handled played with and checked out (just like I checked my own) all iPads from the Apple Store, Best Buy, Costco, and anywhere else that had them on display since I received my iPad... none were bent or warped and looked great.

I am not surprised. It was a bad batch that Apple fixed pretty early on. Not the end of the world.

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
Got an iPad Pro 11” LTE from Craigslist. Unopened, sealed box, non- activated device... took it out of the box and I registered as a new user to begin the Apple 1yr warranty. All good and covered until next year.

However, I noticed a small gap between lcd edge and the aluminum body close to the front camera module. So took it to an apple store and told them that I got it as a gift, to NOT complicate things.

They took a look and said it’s a cosmetic issue and also said since it was bought from amazon, (the Craigslist guy bought it from data vision and don’t know it shows as amazon as I’ve the original receipt), they said I’ve to contact the employer and give it back.. they acknowledged the gap but wouldn’t replace it...

I pressed again and this time they went inside and came back and said, “this is a bent iPad and Apple acknowledged it a few months back and is not covered.. sorry”... .. anyways they said it cannot be replaced and wanted me to call Apple care to see if they would replace it.

Is there any way I can get a replacement or am I stuck with this one.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Got an iPad Pro 11” LTE from Craigslist. Unopened, sealed box, non- activated device... took it out of the box and I registered as a new user to begin the Apple 1yr warranty. All good and covered until next year.

However, I noticed a small gap between lcd edge and the aluminum body close to the front camera module. So took it to an apple store and told them that I got it as a gift, to NOT complicate things.

They took a look and said it’s a cosmetic issue and also said since it was bought from amazon, (the Craigslist guy bought it from data vision and don’t know it shows as amazon as I’ve the original receipt), they said I’ve to contact the employer and give it back.. they acknowledged the gap but wouldn’t replace it...

I pressed again and this time they went inside and came back and said, “this is a bent iPad and Apple acknowledged it a few months back and is not covered.. sorry”... .. anyways they said it cannot be replaced and wanted me to call Apple care to see if they would replace it.

Is there any way I can get a replacement or am I stuck with this one.

Modern Apple customer service, just covering for Tim's cheapness

Reactions: Aydy and Mescagnus

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Seems like the bad batch got sorted out and replaced. A non issue in the end. Glad to see not many issues anymore.
the fragility is still an issue regardless how positive anyone is.
I hope October will bring an update with stronger aluminium/frame so I can finally buy one. Otherwise its a no go. :)

Reactions: pdoherty

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

The touch sensitivity issue IS the bending issue. Weak structural integrity leads to tiny bends from normal use which detach the touch layer. It's the same as the iPhone 6 issue. Everyone said it didn't matter that the phone could be bent easily because that wasn't "normal use", but soon after they all started developing touch disease.

Devices on display are advertisements. When they don't look great they get swapped out.

Reactions: Mescagnus

nextgeneric

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2011
Returned my first iPad Pro 11-inch, as out of the box there was a slight bowing when viewing to top edge. Apple replaced it (after trying to charge me), and sent me an even more bent replacement (with scuffs on the Apple Pencil contact). Not sure what to do at this point. I've never put my iPad in a backpack. It's always hand-carried and treated with care. This whole experience has left me with a really sour taste in my mouth.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Returned my first iPad Pro 11-inch, as out of the box there was a slight bowing when viewing to top edge. Apple replaced it (after trying to charge me), and sent me an even more bent replacement (with scuffs on the Apple Pencil contact). Not sure what to do at this point. I've never put my iPad in a backpack. It's always hand-carried and treated with care. This whole experience has left me with a really sour taste in my mouth.

Did you only notice late? If inside the return window always return for refund not a refurb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.