Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
This one was already a replacement and Apple already refused to resolve the issue when I took it to their store. Frankly, I find the device so frustrating I’ll fix it, or destroy it trying. I’m also not willing to pass on a known-defective device onto someone else, profiting at their expense. Not how I roll.

Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Ok, reporting after a day or two... might be imagination (don't think so), but the touchscreen is better after treating with the heat gun. I went overboard, obviously, because I didn't set the temp. Afterwards I researched the temps needed (max 160F) and bought an infrared temp reader. I think as long as you use a heat gun calibrated to 155F or so, you could attempt the relaminate trick without risking warping the screen as I appear to have done.

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Im on the fence about buying an ipad pro 11 with this bending issue, I went to go play with one at best buy and first thing I did was check for any bend in the device and sure enough there was a slight bend in the middle....of course this was a display model that is tethered down to the table so probably alot of people checking it out eventually put a slight bow in the center of the tablet? I do like it though, I am also drawn to the ipad mini which Ive had before but I was thinking of ditching a laptop and I do not want to replace it with a mini so considering options. I need to play with both more then maybe decide

Reactions: apolloa

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I'm not sure bending has anything to do with the unresponsive touchscreen issue. The screen sits in the shell of the case, attached solely by a single cable and some adhesive on the outer edge. The case could be dented in the back and it wouldn't affect the screen. I think it's a lamination issue that is either generating false input that confuses touch input, or that interferes with actual touch input so it's not detected.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I'm not sure bending has anything to do with the unresponsive touchscreen issue. The screen sits in the shell of the case, attached solely by a single cable and some adhesive on the outer edge. The case could be dented in the back and it wouldn't affect the screen. I think it's a lamination issue that is either generating false input that confuses touch input, or that interferes with actual touch input so it's not detected.

iPhone 6 touch disease was caused by the phone easily bending leading to tiny bends from normal use that then detached the touch layer from the screen

The iPad Pro display also has ridiculously thin glass which might also reduce durability

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
So after reading 58 pages on this topic of bending ipad pro's, can someone please, please confirm that the issue is due to previous "batches" of ipad pro's being defective from china or is this issue still an ongoing issue - i mean I am about to make purchase of first 2018 ipad pro 12.9 cellular model direct from amazon shipped/sold so does this bending issue still happen in sept 2019???

TIA

Reactions: al404

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
So after reading 58 pages on this topic of bending ipad pro's, can someone please, please confirm that the issue is due to previous "batches" of ipad pro's being defective from china or is this issue still an ongoing issue - i mean I am about to make purchase of first 2018 ipad pro 12.9 cellular model direct from amazon shipped/sold so does this bending issue still happen in sept 2019???

TIA
Design fault, not manufacturing.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
Design fault, not manufacturing.

The fact that Jerry Rig Everythings video showed just how easy it is to bend it on purpose, (which to be fair most people wont intentionally do) also tells me that they are too delicate to be used normally for extended periods of time. odds are the vast majority of them will bend at some point the longer the user uses it! its just inevitable IMHO! (unless it never leaves the desk or box it came in)

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
I can confirm 11” LTE Model does have both bending and touch issue. My unit is 2 months old, and I had to go to two Apple stores to get it replaced as the first store wouldn’t replace it for me. From my what I gather, the bending issue is predominately found in 11” LTE Models. Hope this helps.

TIA

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I saw someone on YouTube stuff a kitchen chopping board into his backpack to prevent his IPP further bending. It seems the iPad was bent from being in the backpack but the pack wasn’t designed with structured internals for carrying laptops, tablets etc..The chopping board hack has worked a treat for him and prevents the contents of his pack pushing on the iPad.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
iPad pro 12.9" Wi-Fi/cellular bought in February, no bending on its own, no touch disease working as well as the day i first bought it. kept in a soft case Cush Case indoors and a stronger water resistant STM case for outdoors. Just like my iPad 2. The issue is really overblown.

Reactions: Kal-037

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

TIA

It will only be fixed with the next iPad Pro release at the earliest

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
iPad pro 12.9" Wi-Fi/cellular bought in February, no bending on its own, no touch disease working as well as the day i first bought it. kept in a soft case Cush Case indoors and a stronger water resistant STM case for outdoors. Just like my iPad 2. The issue is really overblown.

Sorry, but it’s offensive that you think your experience (so far) invalidates the rest of us. I’ve been using iPads since the day the first model released, and I’m not exaggerating the issue in the least.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
So I got my iPad Pro 11 cellular! Decided the 11inch is way better than the 12.9 for my application usages. Got a Zugu case (which is just awesome) and a screen protector (Spigen - which also is extremely great with their oleophobic coating!) - all works great with iPadOS beta installed. No bending out of the box and touch screen works fantastic with the spigen glass protector!

goJ7eP4.jpg

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Sorry, but it’s offensive that you think your experience (so far) invalidates the rest of us. I’ve been using iPads since the day the first model released, and I’m not exaggerating the issue in the least.

It’s also really offensive that you’ve assumed I’ve never had any other iPad, I’ve had iPads from the very first which were heavy enough that you could mug someone with one, right through to the iPad Air two which when I went to sell it was warped like a banana along the very thin plastic top (cellular) so don’t assume that you know anything about my history with an iPad. I have to say It’s rather ironic because I could say exactly the same thing that your remarks are offensive because you think your experience invalidates mine by assuming I’ve never had any other iPad. Also how do I know you’re not exaggerating the issue? I don’t know who you are I haven’t watched your every iPad purchase, for all I know you could have a jar of peanut butter in front of you instead of an iPad. Also I’m not saying my experience is carte blanche for everyone I’m just stating I have not had an issue its that simple. Stop reading things into a post that are not there. From my point of view based on what I’ve seen and from my experience at this time the issue seems to me to be overblown and that includes my friends with 11 and 12 inch iPad Pros who also do not have issues. Once again this is my own opinion and it is not meant to invalidate yours or anybody else's. I’m just stating what I see, but what I see isn’t a provable fact across every iPad Pro and neither is what you see, we both just have our own opinions. :rolleyes:

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
It’s also really offensive that you’ve assumed I’ve never had any other iPad, I’ve had iPads from the very first which were heavy enough that you could mug someone with one, right through to the iPad Air two which when I went to sell it was warped like a banana along the very thin plastic top (cellular) so don’t assume that you know anything about my history with an iPad. I have to say It’s rather ironic because I could say exactly the same thing that your remarks are offensive because you think your experience invalidates mine by assuming I’ve never had any other iPad. Also how do I know you’re not exaggerating the issue? I don’t know who you are I haven’t watched your every iPad purchase, for all I know you could have a jar of peanut butter in front of you instead of an iPad. Also I’m not saying my experience is carte blanche for everyone I’m just stating I have not had an issue its that simple. Stop reading things into a post that are not there. From my point of view based on what I’ve seen and from my experience at this time the issue seems to me to be overblown and that includes my friends with 11 and 12 inch iPad Pros who also do not have issues. Once again this is my own opinion and it is not meant to invalidate yours or anybody else's. I’m just stating what I see, but what I see isn’t a provable fact across every iPad Pro and neither is what you see, we both just have our own opinions. :rolleyes:
What is “overblown” about it? Genuine question. These iPads bend significantly easier than other iPads. There’s no denying that. The videos online from apple enthusiasts have confirmed that also. Everything apple bent his with barely any effort on his channel..it really isn’t a stretch to assume users iPads are bending under conditions where they didn’t with previous models. Caution and care seem to be recommended, more so than, again, previous generation iPads.

The anecdotal online evidence can only, imo grow in numbers if users don’t head the warnings and is ‘imo, good that threads like this exist, if only to encourage potential buyers to protect and apply caution from the get go.

I’m not disregarding your experience in the slightest. I just think using phrases like the issue is overblown is only going to rub folk who have bent iPads the wrong way. It’s kinda understandable because it does come off slightly insensitive

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
What is “overblown” about it? Genuine question. These iPads bend significantly easier than other iPads. There’s no denying that.

Sure, and - as I keep saying - the previous iPads bend more easily than the ones before them. As things get thinner, they can bend more easily. The question is - will the new iPad Pros bend under regular, everyday use? After using mine for almost a year, carrying it to work in a bag with a laptop and other stuff every day, using it inside and outside and not being extra careful - I strongly believe the answer is: no. No, they will not bend under regular use. This is not really a design issue - which doesn't mean that people who ARE having issues are nonexistent or wrong. They have genuine problems. But is it something that affects the majority of users? No, I don't think so.

The videos online from apple enthusiasts have confirmed that also.

Apart from clickbait videos, I don't recall any serious tech channel/blogger talking about it. Every year someone bends Apple devices and these videos get clicks. And you can deliberately bend a lot of tech with ease. Again, the question here is not if someone can bend them with their hands, the question is whether these iPads bend under normal use.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Yeah my Air 2 and 10.5" pro both bent without me carrying them in anything, they were baby'd like none of you would believe... 6.1mm will bend super easy too. Go watch THOSE bend videos.
the 5.9mm current iPad pros will bend if you don't take care of them... a few may come bent but that happened with older iPad models as well.
People getting offended because of opinions... ?‍♂️

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Also just to be clear!!! I’m do NOT doubt the problems some have dealt with. I’m not saying everyone is lying or overblowing this... 99% are overblowing it, but that doesn’t mean those who legitimately have issues.
BUT the biggest thing I’m surprised no one is really getting is that both 6.9mm and 5.9mm are wafer thin and both can be bent with not much force.
the other issue is how old some complaints are compared to those who still have this problem.
AND these are a new design and huge advancement for the iPads. The Air 1 came with issues that got fixed with later software and adjusted QC... so did the Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Pro 1, iPad mini 4, iPad Pro 9.7”, iPad 5, iPad 6, iPad Mini 5, iPad Air 3, and the new iPad 7 will have issues too.

issues with each device...

iPad Air 1: Quiet speakers, slow processor and low RAM, bad display (light bleed, discoloration, and more prone to bending than iPad 4.)

iPad Air 2:
Vibrating speakers, super easy bending, issues with lcd getting warped by pressing the back slightly, overly blue display, and light bleed.

iPad Mini 4: Sucky speakers, lightbleed, displays too pink or yellow, home button loose.

iPad Pro 1: Major lightbleed, white spots, pencil disconnecting on its own, could bend easily due to thinner and long body.

iPad Pro 9.7”:
Bent easier than Air 2, display issues due to faulty calibrating, home button loose, had lcd distortion when pressing above home button, had low RAM and slower speed than big brother.

iPad Pro 2: Lightbleed like crazy, much quieter speakers, lcd pressure points as well, discoloring display, bending, and some display issues with Promotion on some shipped iPads (partially due to being new tech.)

iPad Pro 3: easier bending, touch issues before software update (good here was lightbleed was essentially no where to be found due to Liquid Retina.)
LTE models even more prone to bending.
iPad mini 5, display colors immaculate or too warm/pink, etc, etc...

ipads 5, 6, Air 3:
Same issues as predecessors or same as iPads before that used exact same exterior.

POINT BEING... NO iPad release has been perfect. There are bend issues here and there. Always someone finding flaws because they go looking for

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
I'll probably get the new ipad pro if they come out with it next month if they make it stronger and I don't care if it's heavier. I'll be happy if they make it a little heavier, especially if they put back the earphone jack. Fat chance! But they'll probably make it even lighter and thinner and weaker.

The new Samsung Tab S6 is thinner than the Ipod Pro and they are now making it out of aluminum too. Samsungs have been very durable. I wonder if this one will be too. If so they may be using a better grade of aluminum.

Garack

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
My ipad 2017 pro 10.2 bought 2years ago has bended over night. Apple wont give me support cause its over 2 years old.
i guess heat and Akku Problems, cause it bend over night. Not very hot here where i live..
cant buy an ipad again cause its a waste of too much money..

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Im on the fence about buying an ipad pro 11 with this bending issue, I went to go play with one at best buy and first thing I did was check for any bend in the device and sure enough there was a slight bend in the middle....of course this was a display model that is tethered down to the table so probably alot of people checking it out eventually put a slight bow in the center of the tablet? I do like it though, I am also drawn to the ipad mini which Ive had before but I was thinking of ditching a laptop and I do not want to replace it with a mini so considering options. I need to play with both more then maybe decide
I really like the new Pros, I’m the same as you as I’d like to replace my 9.7” Pro and laptop use with it the 11”. I plan on at some point in my life buying a new desktop computer.
But I think the smart thing to do is wait for a refresh of the current Pro’s, just like with the iPhone 6 Apple will most likely fix the bending issues in the next revision. When your spending they much money for such a gorgeous design I think it’s worth the wait ;)
Not least because if it’s updated next month or November it’ll get even more powerful, and the current model even cheaper.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So I got my iPad Pro 11 cellular! Decided the 11inch is way better than the 12.9 for my application usages. Got a Zugu case (which is just awesome) and a screen protector (Spigen - which also is extremely great with their oleophobic coating!) - all works great with iPadOS beta installed. No bending out of the box and touch screen works fantastic with the spigen glass protector!

goJ7eP4.jpg
I’m jealous..... with the Apple keyboard sat in front it looks fantastic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.