Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

nextgeneric

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2011
Did you only notice late? If inside the return window always return for refund not a refurb

Yep, noticed after the 14-day return period. Ironic, because I had just seen some articles about Apple acknowledging a bend. So I checked myself and there it was.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
The touch sensitivity issue IS the bending issue. Weak structural integrity leads to tiny bends from normal use which detach the touch layer. It's the same as the iPhone 6 issue. Everyone said it didn't matter that the phone could be bent easily because that wasn't "normal use", but soon after they all started developing touch disease.

Devices on display are advertisements. When they don't look great they get swapped out.
The touch sensitivity was actually a software issue that was fixed on the main iOS 12 update. Also I’m not saying the iPad is not warping or not perfect... but I have not held or seen a single bend or warp from the 30-50 iPads I own and tested out at Best Buy and Apple.
[doublepost=1565871252][/doublepost]
I am not surprised. It was a bad batch that Apple fixed pretty early on. Not the end of the world.
Yeah, but mine seems fine since I bought it Jan. 4th. I don’t get how people forget about how many issues all the thin iPads had.
Yes this can bend easier, but mostly because it’s thinner.

My biggest worry is that my Apple Pencil will scratch the side.

and even if they used 7000 aluminum on the next one, it will still scratch and bend. Plus, it’ll be heavier and more expensive.
My 10.6” pro 2016, air 2 ( I think) are warped like this.

K.

Reactions: aevan

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The touch sensitivity was actually a software issue that was fixed on the main iOS 12 update. Also I’m not saying the iPad is not warping or not perfect... but I have not held or seen a single bend or warp from the 30-50 iPads I own and tested out at Best Buy and Apple.
[doublepost=1565871252][/doublepost]
Yeah, but mine seems fine since I bought it Jan. 4th. I don’t get how people forget about how many issues all the thin iPads had.
Yes this can bend easier, but mostly because it’s thinner.

My biggest worry is that my Apple Pencil will scratch the side.

and even if they used 7000 aluminum on the next one, it will still scratch and bend. Plus, it’ll be heavier and more expensive.
My 10.6” pro 2016, air 2 ( I think) are warped like this.

K.

Yea I mean, it's really not all that hard to bend aluminum, but I don't expect them to make a major change to the material. Just take care of your expensive devices and they will be fine. Obviously, if it is bent out of the box like the initial batch was - you return for a new one. The whole thing was overblown. The scratching I could see being an issue. Maybe they put a little protective strip there to make sure it doesn't get worn down.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
I guess me and all the people happy with their iPad Pro are just lucky then. I’m okay with that.

This thread is just silly at this point but it never fails to entertain me. The people that have bought into this idea that there are millions of ipads bending, which has kept them from buying one, are just missing out on using an awesome device. Their loss.

The majority of others who have bent theirs and don't want to take responsibility for it and would rather blame Apple are just as silly.

I guess my wife and I are some of the few people that have gotten "lucky" and haven't had an issue with either of ours. Going on 7 months now of owning them, taken multiple plane flights with them shoved in backpacks, taken daily to work in a soft sided leather briefcase, etc., and still perfectly flat and works like it should.

Sure am glad we're "lucky". :p

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This thread is just silly at this point but it never fails to entertain me. The people that have bought into this idea that there are millions of ipads bending, which has kept them from buying one, are just missing out on using an awesome device. Their loss.

The majority of others who have bent theirs and don't want to take responsibility for it and would rather blame Apple are just as silly.

I guess my wife and I are some of the few people that have gotten "lucky" and haven't had an issue with either of ours. Going on 7 months now of owning them, taken multiple plane flights with them shoved in backpacks, taken daily to work in a soft sided leather briefcase, etc., and still perfectly flat and works like it should.

Sure am glad we're "lucky". :p

Agree, it was all overblown, but everything Apple related usually is.

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
A clear separation between the edge of display and the aluminum body. Showed it to Apple, the 1st store denied replacement claiming it’s bent (which I don’t see). Few days later went to another apple store, and they acknowledged the issue and agreed to replace the device. 11” LTE. I’m out of the 14 day return window, however, everything was covered under warranty.

Anyone knows if I will get 14-day return on the replacement device or no? I plan on opening the device in the store just to be sure. Curious to know as I’ve seen here claiming the replacement devices were same or even worse (bending or scratches at pencil attachment area etc.,).

Attachments

• 1C68ACEB-35DF-4D03-8B42-921B83BEF950.jpeg
    1C68ACEB-35DF-4D03-8B42-921B83BEF950.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 506

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I am not working for Apple and don't trying to defend them,
I have the newest iPad 12.9" and yes I was worried about bending, last July I traveled to Europe from the USA I put the iPad in my backpack put a cardboard behind it, travels by plain car and train I can declare NO BEND

Reactions: Kal-037

CB98

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
I accidentally sat on my 2018 12.9 a few months ago when it was in a case and it bent slightly so I just bent it back. Pretty sure any iPad would have bent in the same situation.

Great device and whilst I used to be so worried about it bending in daily use I don’t care now. I just use it and enjoy it because it’s a great device at the end of the day, and one which needs the looking after befitting of a thin £1000 device made of glass and aluminium!

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I accidentally sat on my 2018 12.9 a few months ago when it was in a case and it bent slightly so I just bent it back. Pretty sure any iPad would have bent in the same situation.

Great device and whilst I used to be so worried about it bending in daily use I don’t care now. I just use it and enjoy it because it’s a great device at the end of the day, and one which needs the looking after befitting of a thin £1000 device made of glass and aluminium!
only the first scratch on a new car hurt

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I didn't see that news bulletin. Nothing, including iOS 12, has fixed the touch issues with my iPad.
News bulletin? Not sure if they had one...
This thread has many folks who had touch issues go away after the update. If your's is still having issues I'd try a restore and if that doesn't work going to Apple for a replacement will work as your iPad's display is broken or faulty.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rotector-issues.2153098/page-45#post-27221029

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
News bulletin? Not sure if they had one...
This thread has many folks who had touch issues go away after the update. If your's is still having issues I'd try a restore and if that doesn't work going to Apple for a replacement will work as your iPad's display is broken or faulty.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rotector-issues.2153098/page-45#post-27221029

Tried all of that. This is my second one exchanged for this reason. Out of warranty now. The damn thing is skipping letters as I type this. I’ve been in the other threads about the touch issue and every iOS release is claimed to be a fix, but then turns out not to be. Believe me, if there was a definitive fix, it would indeed be a news flash.

You should read through this thread. iOS 12 is definitely not the fix for the touch issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/unresponsive-screen-ipad-pro-12-9-2nd-gen.2121051/

Last edited:

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Tried all of that. This is my second one exchanged for this reason. Out of warranty now. The damn thing is skipping letters as I type this. I’ve been in the other threads about the touch issue and every iOS release is claimed to be a fix, but then turns out not to be. Believe me, if there was a definitive fix, it would indeed be a news flash.

You should read through this thread. iOS 12 is definitely not the fix for the touch issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/unresponsive-screen-ipad-pro-12-9-2nd-gen.2121051/
After the update I never heard one person say they had an issue, also when was your iPad replaced? It may be a bad batch you got, I know I did when I was playing the return game.

Kallum.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
After the update I never heard one person say they had an issue, also when was your iPad replaced? It may be a bad batch you got, I know I did when I was playing the return game.

Kallum.
Here's one. I'm on the latest iOS 13 beta and the issue remains.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009

Kallum.

I had it replaced a year later from a different Apple Store so I doubt it was a batch issue. In fact many people have had several replacements and still have the problem regardless of the iOS version. Check out the thread I posted previously. iOS did not fix the touch issue.

Reactions: pdoherty

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I had it replaced a year later from a different Apple Store so I doubt it was a batch issue. In fact many people have had several replacements and still have the problem regardless of the iOS version. Check out the thread I posted previously. iOS did not fix the touch issue.
It did for some apparently, but not everyone. I wonder what the problem is.

Kallum.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
A clear separation between the edge of display and the aluminum body. Showed it to Apple, the 1st store denied replacement claiming it’s bent (which I don’t see). Few days later went to another apple store, and they acknowledged the issue and agreed to replace the device. 11” LTE. I’m out of the 14 day return window, however, everything was covered under warranty.

Anyone knows if I will get 14-day return on the replacement device or no? I plan on opening the device in the store just to be sure. Curious to know as I’ve seen here claiming the replacement devices were same or even worse (bending or scratches at pencil attachment area etc.,).
Typically, the answer would be no. Once you do a warranty replacement, you no longer can return a device. But you an simply make another claim and see if you can get it replaced again if the same issue arise.

When Apple replaced it, did they simply give you a white box unit (not really sure for iPad, for the iPhone it's a plain white box that replacement unit comes in). Or did they replace you with the retail unit? I'm thinking the white box.

satpak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2013
California
Typically, the answer would be no. Once you do a warranty replacement, you no longer can return a device. But you an simply make another claim and see if you can get it replaced again if the same issue arise.

When Apple replaced it, did they simply give you a white box unit (not really sure for iPad, for the iPhone it's a plain white box that replacement unit comes in). Or did they replace you with the retail unit? I'm thinking the white box.
They replaced me with a brown box unit. Just had the iPad in it. They never asked me to return the original retail box and accessories.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Just got my 11” Pro replacement. First one didn’t have the bending issue but did have a touch screen issue. No bending issue with the replacement either. I was paranoid to buy one with it ending up being bent and having to go through all the trouble of getting a different one. Maybe Apple has tightened up a bit with this issue. Not too confident on that but it’s a possibility.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Just got my 11” Pro replacement. First one didn’t have the bending issue but did have a touch screen issue. No bending issue with the replacement either. I was paranoid to buy one with it ending up being bent and having to go through all the trouble of getting a different one. Maybe Apple has tightened up a bit with this issue. Not too confident on that but it’s a possibility.
What software update is it on? I and most others had our touch issues go away after 12.2, but things got even better with iPad OS beta.
I think the touch sensitivity issue is software related... otherwise it might be the lamination process being faulty this time around.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
They replaced me with a brown box unit. Just had the iPad in it. They never asked me to return the original retail box and accessories.

Then I don't think you can return for a refund, but you can always do another warranty replacement if issues arise. Of course you keep the original retail box and accessories.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
OK, I'm fed up with this crap - I got so pissed off using it just now that I broke out my heat gun and went to town on it, trying to force the lamination to reseat. Not sure if it worked but it did create some crap wavy areas on the screen. *sigh*. FU, Apple.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
OK, I'm fed up with this crap - I got so pissed off using it just now that I broke out my heat gun and went to town on it, trying to force the lamination to reseat. Not sure if it worked but it did create some crap wavy areas on the screen. *sigh*. FU, Apple.
I know it’s irritating, it what exactly would you expect to happen by taking a heat gun to it? If it was that bothersome you should have just sold it. Now it’s likely damaged from the heat and any chance of getting a replacement from Apple or selling it is blown. No offense but doesn’t sound like the smartest move there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.