Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I need an iPad now, and I have been wrestling with iPad Air (3) versus iPad Pro 11 via Apple's refurb store. I love the pro motion screen, having had an iPad Pro 10.5, and the only reason I am reluctant to buy the iPad Pro 11 is the weakness of the body. I am careful with my devices but my ipad spends time in the backpack etc. I know new pro's are due soon, but I need an ipad now. Opinions?

The bending is only part of the issue. The unresponsive screens are the bigger issue and possibly not even caused by bending. Look at all the threads about white spots and backlight leaking; suggests there’s more issues with screen quality or design.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am taking delivery (today) of the iPad Pro 12.9. Of all places , its seem that Walmart became my best go to for this purchase. If I open the box and see the iPad is warped, am I still able to return it at Walmart? I know Apple and Walmart are different on returns. Thanks in advance.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I am taking delivery (today) of the iPad Pro 12.9. Of all places , its seem that Walmart became my best go to for this purchase. If I open the box and see the iPad is warped, am I still able to return it at Walmart? I know Apple and Walmart are different on returns. Thanks in advance.

I bought my 12.9 Pro from Walmart because they had the best price at the time; no issues at all with it. They do have a good return policy. Only purchase I've ever made there.

Reactions: phrehdd

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I bought my 12.9 Pro from Walmart because they had the best price at the time; no issues at all with it. They do have a good return policy. Only purchase I've ever made there.

Thanks for the response. Seems this may be mine as well.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Are people still having issues with their iPads bending? it seems the new ones are not as strong as the older 1st and 2nd gen iPad Pro's. I wonder if Apple will change that and reinforce them or use a different material for the next gen that is rumoured this month.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Are people still having issues with their iPads bending? it seems the new ones are not as strong as the older 1st and 2nd gen iPad Pro's. I wonder if Apple will change that and reinforce them or use a different material for the next gen that is rumoured this month.

Been no problems with my 2018 12.9.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I really hope they reinforce the chassis this time as I skipped gen 3 of the Pro because of the reports of bending and the clear weak points. C'mon Apple, my money is waiting..

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I really hope they reinforce the chassis this time as I skipped gen 3 of the Pro because of the reports of bending and the clear weak points. C'mon Apple, my money is waiting..
Even if they reinforce it, it will still be bendable if you apply enough pressure. They COULD use Liquidmetal as that is tough like aluminum, but it’s transparent to radio frequencies, so you wouldn’t have to have antenna bands. BUT I haven’t heard anything about Liquidmetal and Apple for years.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Even if they reinforce it, it will still be bendable if you apply enough pressure. They COULD use Liquidmetal as that is tough like aluminum, but it’s transparent to radio frequencies, so you wouldn’t have to have antenna bands. BUT I haven’t heard anything about Liquidmetal and Apple for years.

after reports of the iPhone 6 bending, Apple addressed it by altering the material, I’m not what they did but they did do something. Hopefully that will be the case here. I think it’s really bad that they are charging people;e who don’t have Apple Care and even if they do they are making them use 1 of their accidental damage incidents.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Well, unless they intentionally damaged it, it IS actually accidental damage, right?

No because it’s not the users fault. It’s Apples, if the iPad came bent out of the box then Apple should replace for free. Also if it’s bent with normal every day use they should also replace for free. It’s only if it’s the users fault that they should charge people.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
No because it’s not the users fault.
accidental damage done by Apple (due to a faulty design). So why let the customer pay for it?
There’s absolutely no scientific information on how precisely how much effort it takes to permanently deform an iPad Pro. If someone were to perform such a test, then we’d know exactly how much effort is required to permanently deform an iPad Pro. Then, we can discuss and consider if that much effort should be thought of as “normal every day use”.

The only thing that we can say is inarguably true, is that every bent iPad Pro (that was not bent new in box) most likely experienced an amount of pressure that would be required to permanently deform an iPad Pro (a few may have been bent by mystical or other means?). Apple considers that much pressure outside of normal every day use. And, we also infer that there are iPad Pro’s that have not been subjected to that amount of pressure and, as a result, are not bent.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Apple considers that much pressure outside of normal every day use.

And that's why I voted with my wallet and bought a Lenovo laptop instead. That laptop has lasted longer than my 2nd Gen. 12.9" iPad Pro, which experienced the unresponsive screen issue and became unusable after 13 months. The laptop also cost a lot less and does a lot more.

Reactions: Dave245

alex_at

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2018
I really hope they reinforce the case for this years upgrade since I don't believe there will be a case design update.

unresponsive screen: The first gen 12.9 also had reports of unresponsive screens, so had the second generation.

My 3 year old first gen runs as good as day one - as well as the first and second gen 12.9 i have in my social circle. Only the battery does tend to get a noticeable shorter runtime - but still better than any laptop I had prior to my 2015 rMbP.

Also it looks like Apple has changed a little with their mindset - they finally gave up with the butterfly keyboard design. Took a few years of complaining - but finally the problem is gone.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Also it looks like Apple has changed a little with their mindset - they finally gave up with the butterfly keyboard design. Took a few years of complaining - but finally the problem is gone.

And they made their phones thicker with bigger batteries. So there is hope.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I don't expected it to be unbendable. Of course if any amount of force is applied it will break an ipad or iphone. I just don't expect it to bend as easily as a soggy piece of bread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.