Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I did. PayPal claim as well. Buyer agreed to refund but if I can get it replaced it’s worth trying. Price was great.

thing has been overheating when charging so maybe I can use that as a warranty replacement.
Why not just go there and ask? Though, I believe if you don't have AC+ you'd have to pay the price for a replacement device. I know people say they will deny because of "user error" but I've seen a lot of cases where they replace it.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
There’s absolutely no scientific information on how precisely how much effort it takes to permanently deform an iPad Pro. If someone were to perform such a test, then we’d know exactly how much effort is required to permanently deform an iPad Pro. Then, we can discuss and consider if that much effort should be thought of as “normal every day use”.

The only thing that we can say is inarguably true, is that every bent iPad Pro (that was not bent new in box) most likely experienced an amount of pressure that would be required to permanently deform an iPad Pro (a few may have been bent by mystical or other means?). Apple considers that much pressure outside of normal every day use. And, we also infer that there are iPad Pro’s that have not been subjected to that amount of pressure and, as a result, are not bent.

After my second replacement I only used the iPad at a desk in a locked office that only I use. Unless there are mystical bending gnomes messing with my electronics at night, the effort required did not exceed the force of my reasonably average fingers holding the device while touching the surface.

(My best guess is that temperature differences during charging and processor stress caused it to "magically" bend. I don't really care what caused it, all I need to know is that the design is flawed well beyond what is acceptable for how I need to use a mobile computing device.)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
After my second replacement I only used the iPad at a desk in a locked office that only I use. Unless there are mystical bending gnomes messing with my electronics at night, the effort required did not exceed the force of my reasonably average fingers holding the device while touching the surface.

(My best guess is that temperature differences during charging and processor stress caused it to "magically" bend. I don't really care what caused it, all I need to know is that the design is flawed well beyond what is acceptable for how I need to use a mobile computing device.)

This was my point! if these iPads are bending without much force at all (pretty much everyday use) then there must be an issue. I have an iPad Pro 2017, it doesn't just bend on it's own, I have put it into bags, taken it through airport security, used it on airplanes and so on. It is in no way bent.

with the next gen I do wonder if Apple will make them tougher and reinforce the structure somehow. For a device that's portable and as thin as these iPads are, they do need to be tough and at least to stand up to daily use.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I have an iPad Pro 2017, it doesn't just bend on it's own, I have put it into bags, taken it through airport security, used it on airplanes and so on. It is in no way bent.

So did I (if the 2017 was the 10.5”, which is what I had) and I mistreated it in all sorts of ways and never had any issues.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
if these iPads are bending without much force at all (pretty much everyday use) then there must be an issue.
IF, yes. But the ”if” requires proof, and there’s no scientific study been performed on how much force is required to bend OR in what way does proper use of the charger cause warping/bending? Depending on the customer, Apple MAY take your word for it, may not.

I have an iPad Pro 2018 that doesn't just bend on it's own. I have put it into a backpack daily, taken it through airport security, used it on airplanes and so on. It is in no way bent. BUT that’s not a scientific analysis, that’s just another anecdote that doesn’t help the folks sitting there with bent iPad Pro’s.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
What are my odds if I take in my under warranty (Not AppleCare+) 11" pro to the Genius Bar for replacement?

Bought of swappa and the seller lied about the condition but the price was just $620 for the LTE model.

See pics
These images are burning my eyes. I could never live with this. Even at $100. Completely unacceptable for a device designed to be portable (used on the go). If your car sagged in the middle would that be ok?

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
These images are burning my eyes. I could never live with this. Even at $100. Completely unacceptable for a device designed to be portable (used on the go). If your car sagged in the middle would that be ok?
Apple replaced it due to a faulty volume button of all things. I did bend it back to like 95% level and could’ve lived with it but im
Thrilled! I was having touch issues though but the genius said if he claimed it for that reason he’d have to send it to depot repair. My up volume button stuck every few clicks.

thank you volume button!

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I've had mine since March last year and have noticed a slight curve from top to bottom. I just carefully pulled it back into position. I keep it in a case all the time so I wasn't sure how that happened. The last time I took it out to clean it, it looked fine.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Are people still having issues with their iPads bending? it seems the new ones are not as strong as the older 1st and 2nd gen iPad Pro's. I wonder if Apple will change that and reinforce them or use a different material for the next gen that is rumoured this month.

Last July I took a flight from the USA to Slovakia republic I put my iPad 12.9" in my backpack put a cardboard behind it and it kept it no bend
[automerge]1583162212[/automerge]
I've had mine since March last year and have noticed a slight curve from top to bottom. I just carefully pulled it back into position. I keep it in a case all the time so I wasn't sure how that happened. The last time I took it out to clean it, it looked fine.

one more point I find if you have progressive eye glasses I recommend let check it out with some one that don't use glasses

Reactions: Dave245

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
The questions are:
is the bend only visible if you look at the device sideway?
does the device wobble when you lay it on a flat surface?

if the answers are yes to the first question and no to the second question, I wouldn’t care.

but at any rate, lets hope that the new iPad 2020 don’t have this problem.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
The questions are:
is the bend only visible if you look at the device sideway?
does the device wobble when you lay it on a flat surface?

if the answers are yes to the first question and no to the second question, I wouldn’t care.

but at any rate, lets hope that the new iPad 2020 don’t have this problem.
Hopefully it has a steel frame at least

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Long post, and I in no way am saying or inferring anyone with bent or problematic iPads are liars.
I just want to finally show that this whole #bendgate is way way overblown.

One interesting thing I find, and no one seems to acknowledge... is that people are not really bend testing other products except apple ones (it seems jerryrigeverything is the only YT channel to have done bends for some other products.)

The newest Samsung Tab is 5.5mm yet I can find no durability test for that or much of anything not Apple.
*Just food for thought there.

Anyways, iPads especially since the air 2 bend easier or have come bent or bowed, (mine did.)
I inspected all my other Apple iPads (I have iPads 1-4, iPad Air 1-2, iPad mini 2, iPad Mini 4-5, 11” and 12.9” Pro 3 iPads. All looked at inspected and many were compared to straight objects for references.
After inspecting every single iPad I own... all have some sort of bowing towards the glass (ever so slightly, and I’m in Utah with constant set temperatures on my AC and being in Utah, there is no major humidity to increase damage.)

But I didn’t stop there, I looked at and inspected about 60 or so more Apple and Samsung tablets from multiple Best Buy stores, Walmart, Costco, x2 apple stores, and an RC Willey (local furniture/electronics store) not a single one was perfectly straight.

I still wanted to go further so my newer job is one where we receive hundreds of iPads and tech to set up and deploy to schools, teachers, and offices (all iPads we get are iPad 7s and all we’ve received were slightly bent right out of the box.)
**Yes, I’ve used an actually straight tool to make sure my vision wasn’t fooling me. All devices were again bowed/bent.

But since everyone here likes to ignore all actual evidence proving there is no bendgate with the these iPads more than any past iPads (except the LTE ones have proven weaker.)

I did even more comparing and inspecting of more than just iPads. I checked my work MacBook Pro, my family a MacBook Pro, my grandpa’s (all but the family one are like new and super pampered devices. BUT I went even deeper and checked my 2017-2018 55” and 65” Sony 4K TVs... and guess what? They were bent too.
Almost every single electronic I own bigger than 7” plus hundreds of other tablets were all slightly curved or “bent”
This newest iPad is 5.9mm, it has weaker spots due to microphones, charging areas... but since it’s so thin, physics will win here,

So many claiming this is just iPad Pro 3 issue only, are wrong... its been an issue for years, (no offense intended when I say folks are wrong) but common sense is very much lacking and folks almost seem like they just want to be part of this odd controversy because it’s “in”.

the iPads from the past 6 years that were 6.1mm bent.
The Air 2, Mini 4, Pro 1, Pro 2, Air 3, Mini 5, and the Pro 3s, all bent as easily as the other. Here are just a couple reference videos showing iPad Pro 3 isn’t the first iPad or tablet to bend easier or come bent out of the box...

In the end these iPads can bend fairly easy... but so do all past iPads, or things that are mm thin.

K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Long post, and I in no way am saying or inferring anyone with bent or problematic iPads are liars.
I just want to finally show that this whole #bendgate is way way overblown.

One interesting thing I find, and no one seems to acknowledge... is that people are not really bend testing other products except apple ones (it seems jerryrigeverything is the only YT channel to have done bends for some other products.)

The newest Samsung Tab is 5.5mm yet I can find no durability test for that or much of anything not Apple.
*Just food for thought there.

Anyways, iPads especially since the air 2 bend easier or have come bent or bowed, (mine did.)
I inspected all my other Apple iPads (I have iPads 1-4, iPad Air 1-2, iPad mini 2, iPad Mini 4-5, 11” and 12.9” Pro 3 iPads. All looked at inspected and many were compared to straight objects for references.
After inspecting every single iPad I own... all have some sort of bowing towards the glass (ever so slightly, and I’m in Utah with constant set temperatures on my AC and being in Utah, there is no major humidity to increase damage.)

But I didn’t stop there, I looked at and inspected about 60 or so more Apple and Samsung tablets from multiple Best Buy stores, Walmart, Costco, x2 apple stores, and an RC Willey (local furniture/electronics store) not a single one was perfectly straight.

I still wanted to go further so my newer job is one where we receive hundreds of iPads and tech to set up and deploy to schools, teachers, and offices (all iPads we get are iPad 7s and all we’ve received were slightly bent right out of the box.)
**Yes, I’ve used an actually straight tool to make sure my vision wasn’t fooling me. All devices were again bowed/bent.

But since everyone here likes to ignore all actual evidence proving there is no bendgate with the these iPads more than any past iPads (except the LTE ones have proven weaker.)

I did even more comparing and inspecting of more than just iPads. I checked my work MacBook Pro, my family a MacBook Pro, my grandpa’s (all but the family one are like new and super pampered devices. BUT I went even deeper and checked my 2017-2018 55” and 65” Sony 4K TVs... and guess what? They were bent too.
Almost every single electronic I own bigger than 7” plus hundreds of other tablets were all slightly curved or “bent”
This newest iPad is 5.9mm, it has weaker spots due to microphones, charging areas... but since it’s so thin, physics will win here,

So many claiming this is just iPad Pro 3 issue only, are wrong... its been an issue for years, (no offense intended when I say folks are wrong) but common sense is very much lacking and folks almost seem like they just want to be part of this odd controversy because it’s “in”.

the iPads from the past 6 years that were 6.1mm bent.
The Air 2, Mini 4, Pro 1, Pro 2, Air 3, Mini 5, and the Pro 3s, all bent as easily as the other. Here are just a couple reference videos showing iPad Pro 3 isn’t the first iPad or tablet to bend easier or come bent out of the box...

In the end these iPads can bend fairly easy... but so do all past iPads, or things that are mm thin.

K.

problem is the Gen 3 is bending in everyday use without much force.
when they also can come from the factory bent is saying there to fragile

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
problem is the Gen 3 is bending in everyday use without much force.
Problem is, no one has defined EXACTLY how much force. My Gen 3 is fine, is that because mine is super sturdy or because I keep it in a solid steel supporting frame at all times OR because I use it as intended and it’s strong enough to withstand daily use? My experience would say number 3, but I haven’t checked to see how much pressure I put on it everyday in my backpack and jacket pocket. It doesn’t appear that anyone has.

”everyday use” is not scientific in the least!

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

You are totally missing the point here.

I, and several others, have done the same comparisons. Yes, pretty much everything is bent, or will bend, to some degree. However, none of the compared items have bent as easily, or to the same degree, as the new iPad Pro.

I have owned practically every single iPad model ever released. There are currently five iPads in the house, several of which have been abused and terrorized by children, aged two and four, for years.

None of them have ever looked like this.

190102-iPad.jpg

(This is one of the three I've had. It either came out of the box this way, or became this bent just being used at my desk in a locked office.)

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
You are totally missing the point here.

I, and several others, have done the same comparisons. Yes, pretty much everything is bent, or will bend, to some degree. However, none of the compared items have bent as easily, or to the same degree, as the new iPad Pro.

I have owned practically every single iPad model ever released. There are currently five iPads in the house, several of which have been abused and terrorized by children, aged two and four, for years.

None of them have ever looked like this.

190102-iPad.jpg

(This is one of the three I've had. It either came out of the box this way, or became this bent just being used at my desk in a locked office.)

apparently you missed the iPad Pro 10.5” bend video (where it bent with absolute ease like the new iPad pros.)
Also The vast majority of complaints about the bent out of box iPads... are actually LTE models. That’s where Apple said they were using a new process.
SO if anything, Apple needs to change THAT, as the WiFi models have not at all had the same problem nor the same amount as LTE models.
I’ll repeat this too... All my iPads came slightly bowed out of the box because... science.
These newest Pros of course would bend easier since they are 2mm thinner, but let’s be real here...
the complaints are much more loud but not numerous across the net and in the real world. *NOTE... MR.com is a bubble... Many think that there is an epidemic of bent iPads because MR is a site full of Apple fans and enthusiasts, so if there’s even a tiny glitch, it explodes and spreads like wildfire.
If one could do a poll on all owners of iPad Pro 3 WiFi (maybe even LTE too)... I bet the farm it would be a very, very low amount.

K.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
apparently you missed the iPad Pro 10.5” bend video (where it bent with absolute ease like the new iPad pros.)

I have not seen any such video, but I am fully aware that any thin electronic device will bend if pressure is applied in the right way. Let me guess. The maker of the video put thumbs in the middle of the device and pulled effortlessly with fingers at the sides?

What I have seen is my own 10.5" iPad Pro, which is now used by children, and the 10.5" iPad Air I got after getting rid of the third bent 11" iPad Pro. Both are used in cars, thrown in bags and routinely treated without silk gloves. They are both reasonably straight, especially compared to the extremes of all the 11" iPad Pros I've encountered.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I have not seen any such video, but I am fully aware that any thin electronic device will bend if pressure is applied in the right way. Let me guess. The maker of the video put thumbs in the middle of the device and pulled effortlessly with fingers at the sides?

What I have seen is my own 10.5" iPad Pro, which is now used by children, and the 10.5" iPad Air I got after getting rid of the third bent 11" iPad Pro. Both are used in cars, thrown in bags and routinely treated without silk gloves. They are both reasonably straight, especially compared to the extremes of all the 11" iPad Pros I've encountered.
Do you mind if I ask what your 11" was, like was it LTE or WiFi?

Also if you do a search of "iPad Pro 10.5 bent" you'll see many many instances.
Now, I am NOT saying that justifies any manufacturing issues with the new iPP or the problems you had, but is gives more context I guess... in showing that aluminum and thinness aren't a good match. lol

I can see the new iPP bending more too as they are 5.9mm compared to the 6.1mm and 6.9mm of the iPP 10.5 & 12.9 1-2 (respectfully).
So I think personally Apple should adjust the LTE manufacturing process since most reports have been the LTE models and Apple even said that's the case.
After they fix that, I think using 7000 series Aluminum or reinforcement where the weaker spots are (microphones Pencil charging side) would be good ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I've been reading that this bending is due to the way the LTE antennas are embedded into the housing. So, how are the WiFi only models?
More likely the two holes Apple drilled into the casing on either side. One for the mic and one larger hole for the pencil magnet. There appears to be no internal support for these weakened areas. Also the battery is soft and not rigid.

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
If this is overblown, you dont mind if Apple makes the next ipad even thiner with al 6000 series....lets say 4mm thick
Jesus Christ, people its physics , even thiner means more prone to bend because of its weight alone

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.