Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’ve had my 2018 11” iPad Pro since February of 2020 ... no bends, even when I took it with me to travel inside a backpack with other items pressing on it. Mind you, I have the keyboard folio case on this iPad at all times as well as it’s in a sleeve and another zipper case when not in use. In the end, it all depends on how you handle your devices. I don’t see any sort of “bend” on any side of my iPad Pro in the almost 1 year of owning it.

After putting on a case, a sleeve and a zipper before storing in a bag, I’m not surprised the device doesn’t bend ;)

Reactions: MK500

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I had a thought today when taking my iPad off the magic keyboard. The magnets are very strong, could the continuous use of pulling the iPad off bend the chassis?

If I remember correctly the magnets are spread out across the keyboard and not all in one place hence I doubt this will add to the bending.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Any idea when apple will start covering bending as a defect? My 2020 pro that's been flat on the desk in the apple folio has started to bend (minimal at the moment), I can't even explain how. It never leaves the desk since I use it for note-taking and sometimes reading.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Not until enough customers get mad enough to form a class action suit. Any design change that fixes the issue would be an admission of guilt. (in my opinion). So expect the 2021 Ipad pro to have the same issue. If you need one be sure you buy a protective cover.

Reactions: Aydy

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Not until enough customers get mad enough to form a class action suit. Any design change that fixes the issue would be an admission of guilt. (in my opinion). So expect the 2021 Ipad pro to have the same issue. If you need one be sure you buy a protective cover.
In addition, though, it would have to be shown that it bends via an amount of pressure that’s far less that some defined “everyday use” amount. To date, no one has performed the analysis required that would even define what level of force an iPad Pro could withstand in order to determine if it’s within or below “everyday use”.

You have folks like me who carry my 12.9 iPad Pro everywhere, every day in bags, and coat pockets and it’s not bent. At the same time, there are those that have reported just having them sit in a room by themselves with no interactions that require them to be moved, yet they’ve become bent. Until someone sees fit to do the analysis, it’ll stay an unknown.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
In addition, though, it would have to be shown that it bends via an amount of pressure that’s far less that some defined “everyday use” amount. To date, no one has performed the analysis required that would even define what level of force an iPad Pro could withstand in order to determine if it’s within or below “everyday use”.

You have folks like me who carry my 12.9 iPad Pro everywhere, every day in bags, and coat pockets and it’s not bent. At the same time, there are those that have reported just having them sit in a room by themselves with no interactions that require them to be moved, yet they’ve become bent. Until someone sees fit to do the analysis, it’ll stay an unknown.
Inconsistency is probally an issue which could be controlled in the factory ($$$) where the case is formed. So if 1 in 20 are bad test them and reject the bad ones. The videos that started this topic clearly show weak points in the case design which are difficult to solve and keep the case a thin as it is. Hopefully someone is working on the fix. Maybe Titanium instead of aluminum - whats another $$ or 2 on a $1700 Ipad Pro.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Inconsistency is probally an issue which could be controlled in the factory ($$$) where the case is formed. So if 1 in 20 are bad test them and reject the bad ones. The videos that started this topic clearly show weak points in the case design which are difficult to solve and keep the case a thin as it is. Hopefully someone is working on the fix. Maybe Titanium instead of aluminum - whats another $$ or 2 on a $1700 Ipad Pro.
But still, no one has taken 20, or five, or even 1 and bent them in a measurable way that would allow them to determine “it takes X pounds of pressure to deform an iPad Pro”. But, to be honest, they weren’t bending to determine if they were strong enough for everyday use, it was for the clicks. Clicks don’t require (n) pounds of torque in the content :)

EVERYTHING bends or breaks (including titanium). The question, which is still unanswered, is “how many pounds of torque does it take to permanently deform an iPad Pro”... further, “in a random sampling of (however many the YouTuber has money for), what’s the variance from one device to another?” It could be that there’s some EXTREMELY weak iPad Pro’s out there, deforming with only .5 pounds of pressure. But, no one has captured any data showing it.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
But still, no one has taken 20, or five, or even 1 and bent them in a measurable way that would allow them to determine “it takes X pounds of pressure to deform an iPad Pro”. But, to be honest, they weren’t bending to determine if they were strong enough for everyday use, it was for the clicks. Clicks don’t require (n) pounds of torque in the content :)

EVERYTHING bends or breaks (including titanium). The question, which is still unanswered, is “how many pounds of torque does it take to permanently deform an iPad Pro”... further, “in a random sampling of (however many the YouTuber has money for), what’s the variance from one device to another?” It could be that there’s some EXTREMELY weak iPad Pro’s out there, deforming with only .5 pounds of pressure. But, no one has captured any data showing it.
I agree. Someone should do stress testing. Good project for Consumer Reports. My grand daughter's iPad is cracked and the button is loose but it still works. She is not fussy just wants to play games and FaceTime. Maybe that's the issue we want the perfect $$$$ device to stay nice forever. That concept has not worked with any of our cars.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2014
I just got a 11 inch pro 2020 WiFi for Christmas. I have apple care on it. No bend that I can see. But if one develops apple care would cover the replacement correct?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I just got a 11 inch pro 2020 WiFi for Christmas. I have apple care on it. No bend that I can see. But if one develops apple care would cover the replacement correct?
I believe that, since Apple feels that in normal use, the iPad Pro doesn’t bend, you could use your “accidental damage” replacements.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
It may be cheaper in the long run to get a better backpack or case than to have to negotiate the tech support hassles. If you know stuffing your iPad into a bag with heavy objects will possibly damage it why do it. Even if the next version is made out of spacemanium.

• Haha
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Just got my first ever iPad. I got the iPad Pro 2020 11 reading this has really worried me that mine might bend. I don’t know if I should sent it back if this is a common issue. I have ordered the Apple smart folio case to put it in but by the sounds of it that won’t be enough. Will get a sleeve for it to as added protection hope this won’t happen to me. Any good sleeves anyone know of?

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Just got my first ever iPad. I got the iPad Pro 2020 11 reading this has really worried me that mine might bend. I don’t know if I should sent it back if this is a common issue. I have ordered the Apple smart folio case to put it in but by the sounds of it that won’t be enough. Will get a sleeve for it to as added protection hope this won’t happen to me. Any good sleeves anyone know of?

Don’t send it back the issue is overblown. Just take care of it like you would any other expensive piece of technology.

Cyluks

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2019
I agree. Apple seems to have gotten the bent out of the box issue down to pre iPad Pro 2018 levels (there were indeed warped iPads coming out of the box before then), and the overall durability really doesn’t seem to be that different from the 2017s either. Though, if you wanted to, you could return and wait until March. There’s a chance that the new iPad pros coming out then are gonna be slightly thicker (rumor says about 0.5mm), due to having miniLED displays.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Don’t send it back the issue is overblown. Just take care of it like you would any other expensive piece of technology.
Yeah I’m going to keep it. No point in sending it back I will have it fully well protected. I always look after my tech so pretty sure I won’t have any issues at all or run into any either.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Yeah I’m going to keep it. No point in sending it back I will have it fully well protected. I always look after my tech so pretty sure I won’t have any issues at all or run into any either.
The Magic Keyboard is a total game changer for iPads and also extremely strong protection.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I really think if Apple want to keep the iPads as thin as they are now they need to opt for a glass back on them similar to the iPhones... that just ensure that it’s structurally sound.

From history we as customers and Apple know that full aluminium backs result in bending issues however extreme.

The other main ‘bend gate’ product was the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which were made stronger on the 6S models but surprise surprise they were all aluminium back, actually the first all aluminium back iPhone to hit the market.

By reinforcing the frame on the 6S and 7 they knew they weren’t structurally sound, and no surprise they went to an all glass back from the 8 onwards.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I really think if Apple want to keep the iPads as thin as they are now they need to opt for a glass back on them similar to the iPhones... that just ensure that it’s structurally sound.

From history we as customers and Apple know that full aluminium backs result in bending issues however extreme.

The other main ‘bend gate’ product was the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which were made stronger on the 6S models but surprise surprise they were all aluminium back, actually the first all aluminium back iPhone to hit the market.

By reinforcing the frame on the 6S and 7 they knew they weren’t structurally sound, and no surprise they went to an all glass back from the 8 onwards.

Glass is much heavier than aluminium. They moved to glass on the phones due to wireless charging (doesn't work with aluminium).

Tablets need to be as light as possible ideally for comfort.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Glass is much heavier than aluminium. They moved to glass on the phones due to wireless charging (doesn't work with aluminium).

Tablets need to be as light as possible ideally for comfort.

Yeah I get the weight element but I wouldn’t mind more weight for a more solid device, I think that potentially it may come in the future as they start to make the iPad more of a laptop replacement and make the magic keyboard lighter.

As it stands they definately need to do something about the structure of the iPad especially if they end up introducing an even larger device in the not so distant future.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I think Apple has considerable interest to not make the iPads look completely like big iPhones.

In addition the glass back is there due to wireless charging, which won’t make its way onto the iPad anytime soon.

Third, glass backs are heavier than aluminium. Apple wants to make iPad lighter, if anything.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah I get the weight element but I wouldn’t mind more weight for a more solid device, I think that potentially it may come in the future as they start to make the iPad more of a laptop replacement and make the magic keyboard lighter.

As it stands they definately need to do something about the structure of the iPad especially if they end up introducing an even larger device in the not so distant future.

I bet the keyboard needs to balance the iPad as a counterweight.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I think Apple has considerable interest to not make the iPads look completely like big iPhones.

In addition the glass back is there due to wireless charging, which won’t make its way onto the iPad anytime soon.

Third, glass backs are heavier than aluminium. Apple wants to make iPad lighter, if anything.
There’s always Liquidmetal :) How light is it compared to aluminum?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I bet the keyboard needs to balance the iPad as a counterweight.

With the cantilever design of the keyboard, on a flat surface the iPad doesn’t need a counterweight. It’s substantial, for protection and typing rigidity, but the weight of it is nowhere near that of a counterweight (like you’d find in non-cantilevered iPad keyboards).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.