Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themeddler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Just recently on iOS 11 beta 3, I received a notification that my 256GB iPad storage was nearing full. After viewing the storage management panel in settings, "System" is taking up nearly 248Gb. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue and found a resolution?

FWIW I just upgraded to beta 4 to see if it was a beta issue that has been resolved but nothing changed. Appreciate any help here.

themeddler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
It changed when I updated to Beta 4 after I gave it a few minutes.

Interesting. I've been running it for about the past 30-45 minutes, but I haven't seen any change. About how long did you wait before it corrected? Right now my iPad is pretty unusable with the frequent ipad full notifications.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Interesting. I've been running it for about the past 30-45 minutes, but I haven't seen any change. About how long did you wait before it corrected? Right now my iPad is pretty unusable with the frequent ipad full notifications.

I went to the storage screen and it was at 50 gb of system. I think I probably waited 2 or 3 minutes and backed out and came back in to the storage screen and let it update and I had just a couple GB in system.

themeddler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
I went to the storage screen and it was at 50 gb of system. I think I probably waited 2 or 3 minutes and backed out and came back in to the storage screen and let it update and I had just a couple GB in system.

Sure enough it's finally started to decrease. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: IndianBird

jimholcomb

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2014
Cary, NC
This just happened to me with the latest beta. Waited a while and storage actually increased a bit. Rebooted with no reduction in storage used. Finally I killed all open apps and rebooted and freed up about 2gb of storage.

MitchFry

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2017
I’ve got the same problem but on my iPhone. Increasing system memory from 10GB to 17GB over 3 days!

Every time I delete an app the system memory just takes up any remaining space.

Tried everything! Don’t fancy a factory reset. Praying for the next release!

Austel66

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
My iPhone has the same bug but as a 16gb device , system is using 12.9gb of it! Any solutions? It’s been this way for days now ever since beta 4

MitchFry

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2017
I’ve completed a settings reset which didn’t help apart from a storage point of view - was worth a try! Deleted more apps.... Now system memory now 18GB.

56E97488-8021-41D1-93C3-D5E633021F45.jpeg

TheAntiDote

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Similar here....

Running iOS 11 Beta 6 on an iPhone 6s Plus 16GB.

Yep when you install a beta you should expect problems so this isn’t a moan per se but before I installed it I always had around 2GB spare storage.

Since I put Beta 6 on it I’m almost maxed out all the time, usually around 15.7 GB.

I try all the usual tricks (trying to download a too-large film from iTunes etc, deleting unnecessary apps, removing all music and just streaming instead, having optimising photos rather than the originals etc) but the space is disappearing. Sometimes it fluctuates down to around 15.1 but after a while fills back up.

I try rebooting it too which sometimes helps a fraction but isn’t really a convenient workaround.

MitchFry

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2017
Haha yeah not moaning at all. These things happen.

Just don’t fancy doing a full reset as I’ve got passes in my wallet i can’t lose. While I’m not getting the out of memory I can live with it.

Have you guys submitted feedback in the feedback app? Worth it if you haven’t already, the issue will get more visibility.

TheAntiDote

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
I’ve submitted feedback yes but spending a while looking on Google today gives me the impression it’s not a wide enough issue (yet) for Apple to take much notice of.

Cyberneticist

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2017
UK
It unfortunately doesn’t. At least not for me, on an iPad Pro.
I've gone down to 8.81Gb (16Gb iPhone 5s) from 12.2. However, happened as I was waiting for download, just deleted a couple of old photos and deleted out of deleted items, free space jumped by a gb but the photos were only about 100b in size

MitchFry

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2017
Received this from Apple and it works!

In order to fix your storage issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Update your affected device to the latest build, 15A5362a
2. Do a backup of your device either through iCloud or iTunes (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977)
3. Erase your device by pressing 'Erase all content and Settings' in Settings > General > Reset
4. Restore your phone using the backup you had just created (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184)

Please let us know if this fixes your storage issue.

Reactions: beto.silva.br

olvier

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Received this from Apple and it works!

In order to fix your storage issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Update your affected device to the latest build, 15A5362a
2. Do a backup of your device either through iCloud or iTunes (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977)
3. Erase your device by pressing 'Erase all content and Settings' in Settings > General > Reset
4. Restore your phone using the backup you had just created (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184)

Please let us know if this fixes your storage issue.

About to try this. How much space from System/Other did you recover? Any sign of it being eaten up again after the restore?

jimholcomb

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2014
Cary, NC
Installing the latest beta only fixed it for me and storage went down to normal levels. I did not do the backup and restore because it was late last night when I updated, if usage goes up I’ll try that.

Thomasbritton

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Installing the latest beta only fixed it for me and storage went down to normal levels. I did not do the backup and restore because it was late last night when I updated, if usage goes up I’ll try that.

Hey all,

So I’ve only just starting getting the exact same thing happening on my iP6+ (16gb) after updating when iOS11 was released last week..

I’ve done the suggested method above but it didn’t seem to help as the System quickly reached the limit again once was the process was finished.

Any ideas?

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
This is a common issue and is not related to iOS11 as I've had it since I can remember. Only temporary fix is backup/restore but that lasts only a while. It seems iOS is awful and garbage collection and cleaning. Since that makes your device full and probably pushes you to upgrade next time to a higher capacity device Apple has no interest in fixing this.

Reactions: macfacts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.