Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beto.silva.br

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
I've had the same problem.

My iPhone 7 32 Gb had a whopping 15.2 Gb taken by the iOS system. I fixed that resetting to factory settings by deleting everything. Then I set it up as a new iPhone and restored the last backup. Now the iOS system has 6.2 Gb.

Maybe iOS saves the previous versions so you can restore it... Or maybe is just a bug.

Did the same thing to my 2017 128 Gb iPad and the iOS system was down to 10.2 Gb (it was 31 Gb).

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've had the same problem.

My iPhone 7 32 Gb had a whopping 15.2 Gb taken by the iOS system. I fixed that resetting to factory settings by deleting everything. Then I set it up as a new iPhone and restored the last backup. Now the iOS system has 6.2 Gb.

The thing is that iOS saves the previous version so you can restore it if you wish... It should have an option to erase previous iOS files but it doesn't.

Did the same thing to my 2017 128 Gb iPad and the iOS system was down to 10.2 Gb (it was 31 Gb).
Saves the previous version? iOS doesn't do that.

beto.silva.br

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
Saves the previous version? iOS doesn't do that.

If you ask me what was more than doubling the size of my iPhone's iOS system files I don't know. I can only speculate. What I know for a fact is that it went from 15.2 Gb to 6.2 Gb after the procedure.

Jccnp

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Received this from Apple and it works!

In order to fix your storage issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Update your affected device to the latest build, 15A5362a
2. Do a backup of your device either through iCloud or iTunes (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977)
3. Erase your device by pressing 'Erase all content and Settings' in Settings > General > Reset
4. Restore your phone using the backup you had just created (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184)

Please let us know if this fixes your storage issue.
I have the same problem with my IPhone 6S, I did what you recomended and I only recovered 2GB. What can I do?

DafyddSionJones

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2017
North Korea
Exactly thesame for me please help people
Similar here....

Running iOS 11 Beta 6 on an iPhone 6s Plus 16GB.

Yep when you install a beta you should expect problems so this isn’t a moan per se but before I installed it I always had around 2GB spare storage.

Since I put Beta 6 on it I’m almost maxed out all the time, usually around 15.7 GB.

I try all the usual tricks (trying to download a too-large film from iTunes etc, deleting unnecessary apps, removing all music and just streaming instead, having optimising photos rather than the originals etc) but the space is disappearing. Sometimes it fluctuates down to around 15.1 but after a while fills back up.

I try rebooting it too which sometimes helps a fraction but isn’t really a convenient workaround.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.