Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
“these people should welcome a MacOS option for power users instead of iPadOS becoming more desktop like, but they are not able to even realize that....”

There’s nothing to “realize”, I get your argument and I just plainly disagree with it.
But what argument are you disagreeing with? It sounds like you are arguing your family’s experience would somehow be made worse and that they would somehow be forced into using macOS. This does not in any way make sense to me.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
“these people should welcome a MacOS option for power users instead of iPadOS becoming more desktop like, but they are not able to even realize that....”

There’s nothing to “realize”, I get your argument and I just plainly disagree with it.
that's what people say when they lack arguments

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
But what argument are you disagreeing with? It sounds like you are arguing your family’s experience would somehow be made worse and that they would somehow be forced into using macOS. This does not in any way make sense to me.
Yeah it's a bit like saying bootcamp or Parallels shouldn't be an option on MacOS because some people might use Windows and that would be an issue because then my cousin would use it and ask for help....😅

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Have you ever done IT support? Non technical users will ALWAYS find a way to stumble into modes/settings that were never intended for them.

Never got a call from someone who accidentally brought up the Inspector view in a web browser?

I see no reason to complicate iPadOS for the masses to please the whims of some tech nerds (myself included) 🤷‍♂️

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yeah it's a bit like saying bootcamp or Parallels shouldn't be an option on MacOS because some people might use Windows and that would be an issue because then my cousin would use it and ask for help....😅
But Windows and MacOS are full fledged Desktop operating systems. The whole distinction is that “power users” can do anything they want with them.

iOS/iPadOS, as a platform, is not aimed at that usage…that’s why it exists in the first place.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
But Windows and MacOS are full fledged Desktop operating systems. The whole distinction is that “power users” can do anything they want with them.

iOS/iPadOS, as a platform, is not aimed at that usage…that’s why it exists in the first place.
And who said that? Steeve Jobs 14 years ago? Things have changed, we have an iPad pro since 2015 and iPadOS since 2019, what Jobs said is no longer relevant, especially for pro iPads

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
And who said that? Steeve Jobs 14 years ago? Things have changed, we have an iPad pro since 2015 and iPadOS since 2019, what Jobs said is no longer relevant, especially for pro iPads
Don’t know why you’re digging up a corpse to base your assumptions off of.

The point of a system is what it does. It’s very clear to the public that an iPad is an easy to use browsing/email/streaming device that even grandma could use.

The only people clamoring for a desktop paradigm on the iPad are the techies, and the world does not revolve around us.

Again, if implemented right, would I use it? Maybe 🤷‍♂️ But converting macOS into a touch based UX is going to look very different than what I bet your imagining.

On that note, can any of you clamoring for this explain to the rest of the class what you think macOS on an iPad would actually *look* like? I mean that literally, are you wishing they would transplant the macOS UI as-is onto an iPad screen?

Reactions: FeliApple

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Don’t know why you’re digging up a corpse to base your assumptions off of.

The point of a system is what it does. It’s very clear to the public that an iPad is an easy to use browsing/email/streaming device that even grandma could use.

The only people clamoring for a desktop paradigm on the iPad are the techies, and the world does not revolve around us.

Again, if implemented right, would I use it? Maybe 🤷‍♂️ But converting macOS into a touch based UX is going to look very different than what I bet your imagining.

On that note, can any of you clamoring for this explain to the rest of the class what you think macOS on an iPad would actually *look* like? I mean that literally, are you wishing they would transplant the macOS UI as-is onto an iPad screen?
If you want to have an idea what MacOS would look like on an iPad (regardless of whether it's bootcamp or virtual machine), try remoting into a Mac from your iPad with Jump desktop or even using Sidecar (or better yet a third party app that works better then Sidecar, since Sidecar does not let you use the touchpad of the Magic Keyboard, I have made a comparison of these apps in another post). No need to make any change to MacOS

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If you want to have an idea what MacOS would look like on an iPad (regardless of whether it's bootcamp or virtual machine), try remoting into a Mac from your iPad with Jump desktop or even using Sidecar (or better yet a third party app that works better then Sidecar, since Sidecar does not let you use the touchpad of the Magic Keyboard, I have made a comparison of these apps in another post). No need to make any change to MacOS
So this is primarily used at a desk in this scenario? How is touch input handled on the tiny hit targets? How is alternate clicking handled via touch (long press?)?

I haven’t used one of these, but maybe I’ll spin up a Mac VM on the server at work I’m decommissioning and play around. I’m just having a hard time understanding how this would be beneficial for me to run locally instead of doing exactly what your describing, remoting into a VM somewhere.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
So this is primarily used at a desk in this scenario? How is touch input handled on the tiny hit targets? How is alternate clicking handled via touch (long press?)?

I haven’t used one of these, but maybe I’ll spin up a Mac VM on the server at work I’m decommissioning and play around. I’m just having a hard time understanding how this would be beneficial for me to run locally instead of doing exactly what your describing, remoting into a VM somewhere.
No touch needed, Magic Keyboard is enough. People use MacOS with keyboard and mouse with no issues.
What's the advantage instead of remoting? We had a discussion yesterday I think about this. It works when your connection is poor or non existent. I use to have my iPad pro as my on the go device with cellular remoting into my Windows PC. I gave up become sometimes connection was too poor to work and I couldn't do my work (needed my desktop apps). Now my on the go device is a cellular Thinkpad Nano or a cellular surface go, depending if I need a tablet or not.

Reactions: rkuo

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Have you ever done IT support? Non technical users will ALWAYS find a way to stumble into modes/settings that were never intended for them.

Never got a call from someone who accidentally brought up the Inspector view in a web browser?

I see no reason to complicate iPadOS for the masses to please the whims of some tech nerds (myself included) 🤷‍♂️
If we take the simplest example of macOS simply being a Virtual machine app (which I would be perfectly happy with) I cannot see how having that icon exist would be any different from the hundreds of settings or millions of apps in the app store. Just hide it or delete it like any other app ahead of time if you're worried about it.

By that logic, no apps should exist except the ones you personally want, because your family might get into them.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
No touch needed, Magic Keyboard is enough. People use MacOS with keyboard and mouse with no issues.
What's the advantage instead of remoting? We had a discussion yesterday I think about this. It works when your connection is poor or non existent. I use to have my iPad pro as my on the go device with cellular remoting into my Windows PC. I gave up become sometimes connection was too poor to work and I couldn't do my work (needed my desktop apps). Now my on the go device is a cellular Thinkpad Nano or a cellular surface go, depending if I need a tablet or not.
So if the primary input being used is still a mouse/touchpad/keyboard, seeing as that’s a laptop, I’m assuming the desire for this is based more off of (The Dream) having one device for all use cases? Am I close to understanding your view on this here? Think “Apple just make your Surface equivalent already”?

If we ever got to full code equivalence between macOS and iOS/iPadOS I would definitely be interested in a product like that.

As it stands however, my iPad is useful to me precisely because I only do limited things with it. It’s my “focus on reading” and general web browsing on the couch type of device.

If the UI were able to adapt intelligently and dynamically in real time between the macOS and iPadOS *even when in the middle of using a given app* I’d be all for it. But I don’t see how you get there from a technical perspective.

In the meantime, I use my Mac at a desk with big monitors, or my work Lenovo X13 (again with big monitors), or if I’m researching I then pick up my iPad (mini) and focus on on that.

Reactions: Starfia

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If we take the simplest example of macOS simply being a Virtual machine app (which I would be perfectly happy with) I cannot see how having that icon exist would be any different from the hundreds of settings or millions of apps in the app store. Just hide it or delete it like any other app ahead of time if you're worried about it.

By that logic, no apps should exist except the ones you personally want, because your family might get into them.
By defining it to macOS being a VM app, that’s a fundamentally different type of conversation. Specifically because of exactly what you described, just hide or delete it. I’d have no problem with that whatsoever, but that’s a different conversation that the one I thought I was having.

I’ve approached this thread with the understanding that people want full fledged macOS to be THE OS for the iPad.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
By defining it to macOS being a VM app, that’s a fundamentally different type of conversation. Specifically because of exactly what you described, just hide or delete it. I’d have no problem with that whatsoever, but that’s a different conversation that the one I thought I was having.

I’ve approached this thread with the understanding that people want full fledged macOS to be THE OS for the iPad.
I can't believe I still here sentences like your last one. Everyone here has been talking about having more options (dual boot and virtualisation), and that there is nothing wrong with having them, and you still say you understood than anyone here wanted to replace iPadOS with MacOS as the only option....

Reactions: MayaUser

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I can't believe I still here sentences like your last one. Everyone here has been talking about having more options (dual boot and virtualisation), and that there is nothing wrong with having them, and you still say you understood than anyone here wanted to replace iPadOS with MacOS as the only option....
Well yea, I’ve been in this thread for a couple hours, I haven’t been following it from page one.

I’ve been at MR for a very long time now, these thread topics (macOS on iPad, “my battery life is x after y time) are cyclical. I’m sorry I assumed it was just like the hundreds of previous threads in this topic.

Anywho, back to the technical talk. Does anyone think Apple’s hypervisor implementation for Apple Silicon will eventually make its way over to iPadOS to give you exactly what the ask is now (VM of macOS locally on an iPad)?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
So if the primary input being used is still a mouse/touchpad/keyboard, seeing as that’s a laptop, I’m assuming the desire for this is based more off of (The Dream) having one device for all use cases? Am I close to understanding your view on this here? Think “Apple just make your Surface equivalent already”?

If we ever got to full code equivalence between macOS and iOS/iPadOS I would definitely be interested in a product like that.

As it stands however, my iPad is useful to me precisely because I only do limited things with it. It’s my “focus on reading” and general web browsing on the couch type of device.

If the UI were able to adapt intelligently and dynamically in real time between the macOS and iPadOS *even when in the middle of using a given app* I’d be all for it. But I don’t see how you get there from a technical perspective.

In the meantime, I use my Mac at a desk with big monitors, or my work Lenovo X13 (again with big monitors), or if I’m researching I then pick up my iPad (mini) and focus on on that.
Having one device, or one "on the go device" is the view of those who want MacOS as an option on iPad.
Personally that's not me, I need Windows, so unless it's full MacOS in dual boot with Parallels to run a Windows VM, MacOS alone cannot run what I need to work.
But some of those wanting MacOS on iPad want this, the convinience of having to carry one device, a tablet and a laptop replacement, instead of 2. And there is nothing wrong about that. It won't happen because Apple has no financial incentive to make that happen.
For us in the Windows world, the new Elite devices might finally gives us Apple Silicon-like hardware in a tablet format with a desktop OS (granted somewhat compromised tablet experience, but I am fine with that, I can do almost everything in a browser).

Reactions: NT1440

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Well yea, I’ve been in this thread for a couple hours, I haven’t been following it from page one.

I’ve been at MR for a very long time now, these thread topics (macOS on iPad, “my battery life is x after y time) are cyclical. I’m sorry I assumed it was just like the hundreds of previous threads in this topic.

Anywho, back to the technical talk. Does anyone think Apple’s hypervisor implementation for Apple Silicon will eventually make its way over to iPadOS to give you exactly what the ask is now (VM of macOS locally on an iPad)?
Apple hasn’t really endorsed choice. You can’t pick the iOS version to install. You cannot downgrade, you cannot install security updates for older versions of iOS. What makes everyone think Apple will allow a choice with this?

My issue is that they may shoehorn MacOS due to a misguided view that users want this.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Sure, I'm happy with the iPad being a powerful toy, and my Mac being a powerful computer. Having Terminal and Homebrew on the iPad would go a long way to bridge the gap, but it's still got a smaller screen and fewer ports. And not a lot of RAM.

For some reason you keep on banging on about the iPad being a “toy”.

A Mac Pro running Fortnight is a toy.
An iPad running MS Office, Procreate, Logic Pro, LumaFusion, AUM, Cubasis, etc… is a professional computer.

You decide what to do with it.

Reactions: sparksd

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Apple hasn’t really endorsed choice. You can’t pick the iOS version to install. You cannot downgrade, you cannot install security updates for older versions of iOS. What makes everyone think Apple will allow a choice with this?

My issue is that they may shoehorn MacOS due to a misguided view that users want this.
there is zero chance of Apple letting people run MacOS on iPads as bootcamp or VM app, they couldn't care less what some users want, they do what makes them more money, and this isn't going to make them any money, if anything they could lose sales

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
there is zero chance of Apple letting people run MacOS on iPads as bootcamp or VM app, they couldn't care less what some users want, they do what makes them more money, and this isn't going to make them any money, if anything they could lose sales
Yeah, agreed, it makes no sense at all.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Having one device, or one "on the go device" is the view of those who want MacOS as an option on iPad.
Personally that's not me, I need Windows, so unless it's full MacOS in dual boot with Parallels to run a Windows VM, MacOS alone cannot run what I need to work.
But some of those wanting MacOS on iPad want this, the convinience of having to carry one device, a tablet and a laptop replacement, instead of 2. And there is nothing wrong about that. It won't happen because Apple has no financial incentive to make that happen.
For us in the Windows world, the new Elite devices might finally gives us Apple Silicon-like hardware in a tablet format with a desktop OS (granted somewhat compromised tablet experience, but I am fine with that, I can do almost everything in a browser).
Thanks for elaborating on your specific thoughts on the topic. Honestly the machine I use the absolute most is my work Lenovo laptop. I’m a sysadmin so the days of tinkering with tech *off* the clock are long gone, I go turn wrenches in the garage.

If Apple ever did a true dynamic device like the one I described previously I’d be very interested. I still haven’t found a decent tablet that quite hits the “all devices in one” mark for me personally. Frankly I need a ton of screen real estate so I’m perfectly fine with a multi monitor laptop setup.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Maybe not Apple directly, but if the hypervisor they’ve made for Apple silicon makes its way to iPadOS it might be within reason that a developer could do it instead.

I’d imagine the Parallels and VMWares if the world might like to take a bite at it and see if the market responds 🤷‍♂️

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for elaborating on your specific thoughts on the topic. Honestly the machine I use the absolute most is my work Lenovo laptop. I’m a sysadmin so the days of tinkering with tech *off* the clock are long gone, I go turn wrenches in the garage.

If Apple ever did a true dynamic device like the one I described previously I’d be very interested. I still haven’t found a decent tablet that quite hits the “all devices in one” mark for me personally. Frankly I need a ton of screen real estate so I’m perfectly fine with a multi monitor laptop setup.
I am a multimonitor guy too. At least 2 monitors at home, sometimes more. And even on the go, I use my iPad as a monitor for my thinkpad. Lately I have been using my Tab S8 ultra, much more comfortable when I have to do real work as a monitor for my thinkpad with it's 14.6 and great battery life.
I don't like split screen, I prefer multiple screens

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I am a multimonitor guy too. At least 2 monitors at home, sometimes more. And even on the go, I use my iPad as a monitor for my thinkpad. Lately I have been using my Tab S8 ultra, much more comfortable when I have to do real work as a monitor for my thinkpad with it's 14.6 and great battery life.
I don't like split screen, I prefer multiple screens
I constantly have windows next to each other for comparison or applying instructions read off the other one.

Those USB C powered travel monitors are becoming more and more interesting to me for when I’m on the go…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.