Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2013
Well first I want to know what others think. Do you believe there is a good enough tablet out right now to seriously contest the full sized iPad? To me, iPad still remains on top in this competition, even though android has caught up in the smart phone realm. And if you agree, why? Why have manufacturers been able to produce smart phones that compete well against the iphone, but no particularly compelling product against the ipad. If you disagree, I welcome your sentiments as well.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Does this thread really need to exist? I don't see it ending well.

iPads are superior to Android tablets simply because developers actually create tablet apps for iOS. Most apps you download on an Android tablet will simply be a scaled app created for phones. Thank god for native scaling...

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2013

iPads are superior to Android tablets simply because developers actually create tablet apps for iOS. Most apps you download on an Android tablet will simply be a scaled app created for phones. Thank god for native scaling...

Why won't it end well? You just offered a reasonable and logical explanation that I agree with lol. What about it won't end well.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Well first I want to know what others think. Do you believe there is a good enough tablet out right now to seriously contest the full sized iPad? To me, iPad still remains on top in this competition, even though android has caught up in the smart phone realm. And if you agree, why? Why have manufacturers been able to produce smart phones that compete well against the iphone, but no particularly compelling product against the ipad. If you disagree, I welcome your sentiments as well.

2012 was the year that flagship Android phones (starting with the S3) became on par with the iPhone. 2013 there are now several Android phones that have exceeded it. The technological advantage for Android phones will begin to widen exponentially into 2014, mainly because Apple is to slow to update their hardware.

2013 is really the first year Android tablets will be on par with the iPad, but only those that will be flagship tablets, running the latest OS (Note 8 comes to mind). 2 reasons; 1. Google is giving developers incentives to produce tablet specific apps and 2. Linux Kernel 3.8+
By late this year and into 2014, we will see Android tablets surpass iPad.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Android is better than iOS because it is.

That basically covers the usefulness of this thread. In case you didn't get it, this thread is useless and is a watering hole for fan - I mean brand loyalists here.

Oh and Apple is NOT king and neither is Google. They're really all the same company laughing at all the folks who defend them on these sites and take it all the way to the bank.

L.O.L.

And here I though Android apps were great...guess I was wrong.

Leaving this thread before my IQ goes down. :rolleyes:

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2013
Android is better than iOS because it is.

That basically covers the usefulness of this thread. In case you didn't get it, this thread is useless and is a watering hole for fan - I mean brand loyalists here.

Oh and Apple is NOT king and neither is Google. They're really all the same company laughing at all the folks who defend them on these sites and take it all the way to the bank.

L.O.L.

And here I though Android apps were great...guess I was wrong.

Leaving this thread before my IQ goes down. :rolleyes:

Before your IQ goes down. Boy, you have an ego that would rival SJ's. There's nothing wrong with my thread. Some comments may be fanboyish, but I bet most will be constructive. If anything, this will help me determine what my first tablet will be. I don't want to immediately hop on the iPad bandwagon, if newer products end up better. Second, nowhere in my post have you seen an android vs apple war. I asked simply, do you guys think there is a tablet out right now that can compete with the iPad. This includes every OS not just android. Third, don't bring my username into this. You know nothing about me and my username serves that purpose: blending into the forum.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Before your IQ goes down. Boy, you have an ego that would rival SJ's. There's nothing wrong with my thread. Some comments may be fanboyish, but I bet most will be constructive. If anything, this will help me determine what my first tablet will be. I don't want to immediately hop on the iPad bandwagon, if newer products end up better. Second, nowhere in my post have you seen an android vs apple war. I asked simply, do you guys think there is a tablet out right now that can compete with the iPad. This includes every OS not just android. Third, don't bring my username into this. You know nothing about me and my username serves that purpose: blending into the forum.

While I'm going to assume you have the best of intentions and are genuinely trying to learn more about tablets...your username and the title of the thread does set off red flags.

Take it as you will, but someone called 'appleisking' creating a thread called 'iPads still top of the game' doesn't sound like you want help choosing your first tablet.

It sounds like you're trying to bait people into an ios vs android tablet argument.

Again, not saying that's what you ARE doing, but as someone who frequents the alternative forums a lot, a lot of argument inducing threads start this way.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
in my opinion, samsung galaxy note 8.0 is definitely the best tablet out there and gives a great fight to the ipad. the biggest point because of which ipad is in majority is because they were fast enough to bring it out first, once they got a lot of customers, they trapped them in the nasty thing called "brand loyalty".
brand loyalty is stupid and i think that people should go for the best, they should not stick with a particular brand.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
well, i think the nexus 7, galaxy tab 3 and the note tablets are really cool and people are adopting them at a fast pace, soon android will be the leading OS in the tablet market too.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
iPad is betetr because Apples services are more global(with iOS I have TV shows, books,music,movies,magazines,apps,games) with Play store I have apps games and music.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For me personally it has a lot to do with how well an ipad syncs with other devices I use inside my house. It controls my airports, appletv, and lights. These are a few things that cannot be done or not done as good on an android tablet. I will continue to use apple products inside my house and until android takes over my living room there is no room for an android tablet there.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I have an iPad second generation and a nexus 10 in my living room for general use, and I find the nexus gets a lot more use.

It's much easier to get files and media on and off the device, and it is much easier to stream from my tablet to my tv (I have a Samsung smart tv).

I don't keep music on the device locally, and Google music does a great job of syncing with my nexus.

I honestly have a hard time getting use out of the iPad at all. If not for the fact that it's a second tablet if the nexus is in use, I'd probably have sold it altogether.

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
The iPad is still king as long as people are willing to spend over $349 just to browse the internet, read books, and watch movies. Once more people realize that less expensive tablets are out there that can do the same they will buy Kindle Fires, Galaxy Tabs, Nexus tablets. I'm happy with my Nexus 7 and once in a while borrow my brother's iPad 3 to use airplay with my Apple Tv.

If you're not invested in Apple(iTunes, Apple Tv, Airport) then there's not much advantage to buying an iPad. Sure there are better apps for iPad but the basic popular apps that the general public want (Netflix, Hulu, Kindle, Flipboard, games) are available on Android and other OS's.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The iPad is still king as long as people are willing to spend over $349 just to browse the internet, read books, and watch movies. Once more people realize that less expensive tablets are out there that can do the same they will buy Kindle Fires, Galaxy Tabs, Nexus tablets. I'm happy with my Nexus 7 and once in a while borrow my brother's iPad 3 to use airplay with my Apple Tv.

If you're not invested in Apple(iTunes, Apple Tv, Airport) then there's not much advantage to buying an iPad. Sure there are better apps for iPad but the basic popular apps that the general public want (Netflix, Hulu, Kindle, Flipboard, games) are available on Android and other OS's.

Agreed. If I did not have 2 ATVS and 3 airports I would not have an ipad.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

This.

I had bought a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7 in February. Bought an iPad in June and that was when I discovered what you stated above, that the apps on the Nexus 7 were just scaled up to fit the bigger screen on the Nexus 7.

The apps that I ran on the iPad were nearly 100% different when ran on the iPad. It's like the Android developers are just too lazy because they know the OS will scale them up so they think they don't need a tablet version.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
iPad is betetr because Apples services are more global(with iOS I have TV shows, books,music,movies,magazines,apps,games) with Play store I have apps games and music.

???? You have used the Google Play Store recently, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-07-18-54-46.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-18-54-46.png
    467.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_2013-07-07-18-55-12.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-18-55-12.png
    912.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_2013-07-07-18-55-32.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-18-55-32.png
    818.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_2013-07-07-18-55-51.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-18-55-51.png
    781.4 KB · Views: 90

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
Oops, forgot about that. I have lived in several countries, but being in the US for the past 2 years, you forget about these policies by Google and Amazon. My apologies.

It's fine:) It just annoys me to no end that Google doesn't offer us these services.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
It's fine:) It just annoys me to no end that Google doesn't offer us these services.

I seem to recall that there is a way to bypass the limitation and fool Google into thinking you are in the US, so you have access???

And the policy does indeed suck! I don't understand how two global giants like Amazon and Google can not distribute digital content outside the US, if Apple can? Makes no sense.

P.S. What happens if you just download the Movie, TV Show and Magazine apk's from a place like XDA?

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
I seem to recall that there is a way to bypass the limitation and fool Google into thinking you are in the US, so you have access???

And the policy does indeed suck! I don't understand how two global giants like Amazon and Google can not distribute digital content outside the US, if Apple can? Makes no sense.

P.S. What happens if you just download the Movie, TV Show and Magazine apk's from a place like XDA?

The apps are built in actually but invisible and there is no way that I know of to activate them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-08-15-21-08.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-08-15-21-08.png
    279 KB · Views: 91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.