Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
Sorry mate. I feel your pain. :(

That's why I support Apple and will continue to do so lol. In fact the Nexus 4 is not available in my country through Google play and had it imported from the US. Yes I am happier with Android but in fact I'm considering going back to the limiting iOS just because of content availability and Google internationally screwing us over.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
That's why I support Apple and will continue to do so lol. In fact the Nexus 4 is not available in my country through Google play and had it imported from the US. Yes I am happier with Android but in fact I'm considering going back to the limiting iOS just because of content availability and Google internationally screwing us over.

But then you will not get all of Siri features also, because most of them are US only.

It's like every big company believes the US is the only place that exists in the world. It's so annoying.

Outside we don't get all of Siri or Google Now features.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
But then you will not get all of Siri features also, because most of them are US only.

It's like every big company believes the US is the only place that exists in the world. It's so annoying.

Outside we don't get all of Siri or Google Now features.
At least I'll get more content.that and I refuse to use my credit card to buy apps(personal reasons) and we have iTunes gift cards where as we have no play store gift cards. Apple is way WAY better for people internationally.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
I have no problems with locked file system/restrictive environment with my mini. The problem i see is with android tabs having performance problems after a while. There are several threads in internet regarding Tegra 3 Chip corruption in Nexus 7 and causing problems. It seems a heavy percentage of android tabs start showing issues within a year. My friend's galaxy tab 2 is also not performing as well as it did.

On the other hand, i have seen ipad 2 of my uncle since 1.5 years and it might not be "super fast", it is snappy and gets the job done.

The reliability factor is great in ipads.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
I have no problems with locked file system/restrictive environment with my mini. The problem i see is with android tabs having performance problems after a while. There are several threads in internet regarding Tegra 3 Chip corruption in Nexus 7 and causing problems. It seems a heavy percentage of android tabs start showing issues within a year. My friend's galaxy tab 2 is also not performing as well as it did.

On the other hand, i have seen ipad 2 of my uncle since 1.5 years and it might not be "super fast", it is snappy and gets the job done.

Totally agree. I have an iPad 2 and it is very good.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

There is a thread going on now at Android Central where someone asked about getting a Nexus 7. Lots of people mentioned how the Nexus 7 tended to lag after owning it for so long. Not all of them do but certain models tended to lag more than others.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
There is a thread going on now at Android Central where someone asked about getting a Nexus 7. Lots of people mentioned how the Nexus 7 tended to lag after owning it for so long. Not all of them do but certain models tended to lag more than others.

Yeah tegra chips are bad.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

This was a known issue, caused by two things. Google forced Asus to meet a certain timetable/price point for the Nex7 and as a result, Asus bought subpar memory chips (SSD's) which effects performance once the chip has been written on and erased after a certain period of time. Wiping the drive and reloading the stock image or a new ROM fixes this, but is only a short term fix.
This issue was resolved in later models, but those bought in the first couple of months may develop issues. I got one of the very first ones on pre-order and I have not had a single problem. It is literally coming up on its one year birthday and I have put this tablet through a lot of travel, dropped it numerous times (luckily it is in a smart cover/case) and had it rained on. Still working like a champ though. Well worth the $200 in my book.
Next tablet will be 8 inches though, because the 7 is just a tad to small for my liking. So Note 8 or whatever comes out next with the latest and greatest gee-wiz crap in it.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
This was a known issue, caused by two things. Google forced Asus to meet a certain timetable/price point for the Nex7 and as a result, Asus bought subpar memory chips (SSD's) which effects performance once the chip has been written on and erased after a certain period of time. Wiping the drive and reloading the stock image or a new ROM fixes this, but is only a short term fix.
This issue was resolved in later models, but those bought in the first couple of months may develop issues. I got one of the very first ones on pre-order and I have not had a single problem. It is literally coming up on its one year birthday and I have put this tablet through a lot of travel, dropped it numerous times (luckily it is in a smart cover/case) and had it rained on. Still working like a champ though. Well worth the $200 in my book.
Next tablet will be 8 inches though, because the 7 is just a tad to small for my liking. So Note 8 or whatever comes out next with the latest and greatest gee-wiz crap in it.

Another very good point.

People who compare a 7 inch tab ( Nexus 7 ) with Ipad mini don't get that 7 inch tabs are a tad too small for usage. Although im very happy with my modded Ainol Venus 7 in Tab, i feel 8 inch is the perfect portable size for a tablet and is well worth investing over a 7 inch.

The competitor to Mini is Galaxy Note 8.0 , not the Nexus 7.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Another very good point.

People who compare a 7 inch tab ( Nexus 7 ) with Ipad mini don't get that 7 inch tabs are a tad too small for usage. Although im very happy with my modded Ainol Venus 7 in Tab, i feel 8 inch is the perfect portable size for a tablet and is well worth investing over a 7 inch.

The competitor to Mini is Galaxy Note 8.0 , not the Nexus 7.

One inch makes that much difference on usability huh? :eek:

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
One inch makes that much difference on usability huh? :eek:

Yeah it definitely does. Especially while gaming/browsing, u appreciate the screen area more and also helps a lot while viewing pdf content.

Since u hold 7 inch and 8 inch tab close, the 1 inch makes a difference in occupying the purview of your vision more .

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
Reboot the device, open TunnelBear and get a connection to a US server first, then connect to the Play Store. It should work fine. If not try logging into Google Play with your browser.

Nope still doesn't work.why is Google so bad?:( our neighbours (Australia)have all services while we have practically none:(

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Nope still doesn't work.why is Google so bad?:( our neighbours (Australia)have all services while we have practically none:(

Are you sure the VPN is connecting correctly? If so I don't see why it won't work. That is weird. When Google Music was US only we got it to work in the UK with a VPN.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
Are you sure the VPN is connecting correctly? If so I don't see why it won't work. That is weird. When Google Music was US only we got it to work in the UK with a VPN.

Yup. Tunnel bear says properly connected.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
2012 was the year that flagship Android phones (starting with the S3) became on par with the iPhone. 2013 there are now several Android phones that have exceeded it. The technological advantage for Android phones will begin to widen exponentially into 2014, mainly because Apple is to slow to update their hardware.

2013 is really the first year Android tablets will be on par with the iPad, but only those that will be flagship tablets, running the latest OS (Note 8 comes to mind). 2 reasons; 1. Google is giving developers incentives to produce tablet specific apps and 2. Linux Kernel 3.8+
By late this year and into 2014, we will see Android tablets surpass iPad.

Your prediction is vague enough to be worthless.

Care to offer some specifics?

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Your prediction is vague enough to be worthless.

Care to offer some specifics?

There are enough specific details in the post to justify my opinion. Just because you may not agree with, or like, my interpretation of that information doesn't give you the right to call it vague or worthless.

How about providing a rebuttal prediction full of specifics, as a counter, instead of posting up a "worthless" comment that adds nothing to the topic or conversation? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.