Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Girlsmouth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
Finally booked Genius Bar. This phone has to be swooped out.
This battery is insane. Insanely BAD.
b6a9561dd7fb8bfe08d429710af60f35.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Facebook does that to batteries. I left FB about 5 years ago, and it drained every phone battery I had then and so I’m assuming they have not improved it much since. I know at times they would improve it due to customer complaints but then it would rebound back to being a battery hog. I don’t use my Twitter app much so I don’t know if that contributes to your problem. I use Twitter on the browser since I don’t use it often.

I use both Android and iPhones at the same time because I have a line for each platform and it did not matter which phone I was using, the battery drain was astonishing. That app does a lot of nasty sneaky things in the background.

Looking at your apps that are in use I am not surprised at your screen on stats. That’s not to say there might not be something wrong with your battery, but I think the apps you commonly use are battery hogs.

For the sake of your sanity don’t ever get the 2020 iPhone SE. That’s almost my battery stats without using any apps but those that come with the phone!

I own and use the Apple battery case for my 11 Pro. It’s fantastic and I highly recommend it if you are going to using your phone the same way your usage stats snapshot indicates.

Also look at your settings and try turning OFF background app refresh on FB.

Girlsmouth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
Facebook does that to batteries. I left FB about 5 years ago, and it drained every phone battery I had then and so I’m assuming they have not improved it much since. I know at times they would improve it due to customer complaints but then it would rebound back to being a battery hog. I don’t use my Twitter app much so I don’t know if that contributes to your problem. I use Twitter on the browser since I don’t use it often.

I use both Android and iPhones at the same time because I have a line for each platform and it did not matter which phone I was using, the battery drain was astonishing. That app does a lot of nasty sneaky things in the background.

Looking at your apps that are in use I am not surprised at your screen on stats. That’s not to say there might not be something wrong with your battery, but I think the apps you commonly use are battery hogs.

For the sake of your sanity don’t ever get the 2020 iPhone SE. That’s almost my battery stats without using any apps but those that come with the phone!

I own and use the Apple battery case for my 11 Pro. It’s fantastic and I highly recommend it if you are going to using your phone the same way your usage stats snapshot indicates.

Also look at your settings and try turning OFF background app refresh on FB.

Everything is turned off including Bluetooth, location etc. I’ve tried without Facebook app and same result using safari for FB.
This is most definitely not accept for a 6 month old 11 pro. Battery health now at 95% also

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Everything is turned off including Bluetooth, location etc. I’ve tried without Facebook app and same result using safari for FB.
This is most definitely not accept for a 6 month old 11 pro. Battery health now at 95% also
My 11 Pro is at 97% after 8 months. I don’t use any social media apps and actually since I own other phones I don’t use this one heavily. I even try to not let it dip below 80% charge.

Something in the last month and a half took one percent health off. I wonder how my battery would be with your usage patterns. To be honest I’ve never been particularly impressed with the battery in any of my iPhones. Sometimes an iOS update itself causes battery life to really take a dip.

I wish you luck on getting help from Apple. My recommendation of the battery case still stands even if you get the phone replaced.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My 11 Pro is at 100% after a year and I use everything.
Do you live an area of good signal strength? I keep forgetting in reference to battery longevity that I live in a bad signal strength area. However, my 11 Pro hasn’t had a sim in it since June and I do use WiFi calling on it now.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes I do.
Ah that may help, at least in the case of your phone vs mine. My 11 Pro had to function for several months in a commute with really awful signal strength. At home it shouldn’t matter since I use wifi calling now. Or at least I don’t think it should. But I am no expert.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
These stats a re pretty shocking, my 11 Pro Max makes it through a full day and then some, I literally cannot kill it at all.
This is my usage now at 2:17am I am about to go to bed, I am at 19%
7ebea2db4cebed977a9d3a9f59856ad6.png

98823a5348a14d1cd79667018a92d5aa.png

11984f13edb71a106c8bd5585e5423c3.png
OMG look at you with full bars of signal strength on Vodacom! I’ve got TWO bars on AT&T, which is supposed to be a big name carrier in the US.

While I live in a semi rural area, it is in a wealthy county with some big name businesses in the city part of the county not that far from my town. I’m not buried in the backwoods or swamps or something. But this is all I get and when I drive around town to friends houses and schools it is really bad in places. I swear we have got some janky infrastructure in the USA.

Both my 11Pro and my SE have battery issues. My SE has been with me only since June and is down to 98% battery health already and it’s not even being used all the time since as you know from the Android part of the forum I also have Pixels and an S20 handy and in frequent use along with the 11Pro.

So to me, OP’s battery woes don’t look too freaky. I’d be interested in seeing how their signal strength fluctuates as they go through their day. Their cell signal is at full strength but their WiFi isn’t.

Reactions: Tsepz

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
My 11 Pro battery health is at 86%! Warranty ran out yesterday and Apple won’t do anything unless it’s under 80%. Oh well.

So if I even call Apple they can't do anything because it's not under %80? So sad. Shouldn't these batteries be at %80 after 2 years around at least 600ish cycle?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So if I even call Apple they can't do anything because it's not under %80? So sad. Shouldn't these batteries be at %80 after 2 years around at least 600ish cycle?
They should be able to replace your battery. However, they might charge you for it.

Reactions: ParaShot

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

This is what the Apple website says

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service. Prices and terms may vary.

Is it possible to see how many charge cycles your iPhone has?

Reactions: ParaShot

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
This is what the Apple website says

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service. Prices and terms may vary.

Is it possible to see how many charge cycles your iPhone has?

for us i think it’s not. I was just on phone with Apple. He did some diagnosis and analyzing and told me my cycle. So if you call them they can help you about it.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Mine is at 95%. Consider how much I've used it since launch day I'm quite happy with that.
This is my first time using a phone for a full year and I’ve enjoyed the 11 pro. From reading; this seems to be the norm and nothing to be worried about. If a 2% drop in percentage a year is normal, then I can live with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.