Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I was thinking of upgrading my iPhone 7 Plus. OS update wise, I'm surprised that Apple is still updating iOS15, the last iOS for the 7 Plus. But I'm getting tired of the piss poor battery life and overheating. And I'm becoming a fan of "smaller" phones.

So what were my options? I was contemplating about the 13 mini. But, I actually like the telephoto lens on my 7 Plus quite a bit, so I don't want to "upgrade" to a phone without one. Also, I want to try using an iPhone as my main phone against my S21, so I'm aiming for 256GB model.

14 Pro? The 256GB model costs $1500 in my country. Being a frugal guy, I have to look towards older models. And the winner goes to... the iPhone 11 Pro. :) 256GB space gray.

The size? Love it. It's about the same as my S21 in terms of width. It weighs more obviously, but still nicely dense and great handling since it's still below 200g. And thanks to the no 2 carrier in my country now supporting eSIM, I can use the dual SIM function on this iPhone.

Need to get used to FaceID, but I'm loving the seamlessness of it. The phone just "unlocks" whenever I want to use it. Of course, it doesn't work with a mask on (and Apple decided the 11 Pro is not "powerful" enough to detect masks like the 12 and higher), but I think I can get used to it. The camera is obviously leaps and bounds better than the 7 Plus. Battery life is still up in the air (mine is used, but still 97% battery health), but so far it can last a day. My S21 still wins endurance wise (eg, for GPS navigation use) thanks to a larger battery, but at least both phones can survive till the end of the day (vs my 7 Plus flattening out mid-day if I actively used it).

Will see how it goes. I'm just liking the size. It's too bad Apple doesn't make this size anymore with the newer iPhones.

Reactions: N69AP

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I was thinking of upgrading my iPhone 7 Plus. OS update wise, I'm surprised that Apple is still updating iOS15, the last iOS for the 7 Plus. But I'm getting tired of the piss poor battery life and overheating. And I'm becoming a fan of "smaller" phones.

So what were my options? I was contemplating about the 13 mini. But, I actually like the telephoto lens on my 7 Plus quite a bit, so I don't want to "upgrade" to a phone without one. Also, I want to try using an iPhone as my main phone against my S21, so I'm aiming for 256GB model.

14 Pro? The 256GB model costs $1500 in my country. Being a frugal guy, I have to look towards older models. And the winner goes to... the iPhone 11 Pro. :) 256GB space gray.

The size? Love it. It's about the same as my S21 in terms of width. It weighs more obviously, but still nicely dense and great handling since it's still below 200g. And thanks to the no 2 carrier in my country now supporting eSIM, I can use the dual SIM function on this iPhone.

Need to get used to FaceID, but I'm loving the seamlessness of it. The phone just "unlocks" whenever I want to use it. Of course, it doesn't work with a mask on (and Apple decided the 11 Pro is not "powerful" enough to detect masks like the 12 and higher), but I think I can get used to it. The camera is obviously leaps and bounds better than the 7 Plus. Battery life is still up in the air (mine is used, but still 97% battery health), but so far it can last a day. My S21 still wins endurance wise (eg, for GPS navigation use) thanks to a larger battery, but at least both phones can survive till the end of the day (vs my 7 Plus flattening out mid-day if I actively used it).

Will see how it goes. I'm just liking the size. It's too bad Apple doesn't make this size anymore with the newer iPhones.
What's the frugal price of the 256GB Space Gray 11 Pro, and is it an Apple refurb from Apple?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I don’t have problems with my 2 yo iPhone 11Pro coming from too old HW.
Just iOS 16 bugs.

Battery is 81% SoH for few months (max capacity) but it’s a result of Chinese overheating fast charger which I replaced to 5W Apple… but still goes through the day if not strongly used.

I suppose 11Pro might get iOS 18 - but not made big research in this topic.

Might not replace iPhone this year due to huge price changes - will do battery replacement this month probably…

Reactions: ian87w

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
One more month and my bought new in February 2021 iPhone Pro Max, 512GB is paid off. It will continue being my primary phone for a couple more years.

My 6s+ is still getting iOS 15 updates.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What's the frugal price of the 256GB Space Gray 11 Pro, and is it an Apple refurb from Apple?
Frugal in the context of buying an iPhone. 😂 I spent roughly about $500. To give the context about iPhone prices in my country, the base 128GB iPhone 12 non pro is about $730 brand new over here. And no, there’s no official Apple Store in my country.

Reactions: Splitrail

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Frugal in the context of buying an iPhone. 😂 I spent roughly about $500. To give the context about iPhone prices in my country, the base 128GB iPhone 12 non pro is about $730 brand new over here. And no, there’s no official Apple Store in my country.
Thanks, the context makes for a more interesting discussion. 😃

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just iOS 16 bugs.

Battery is 81% SoH for few months (max capacity) but it’s a result of Chinese overheating fast charger which I replaced to 5W Apple… but still goes through the day if not strongly used.

Might not replace iPhone this year due to huge price changes - will do battery replacement this month probably…
The killer feature imo is the size. It’s almost the perfect size barring the weight (my S21 is lighter).

I’m less and less worried about software updates on iPhones. Apple seems to be on the “LTS” mode on iOS, with iOS12 and 15 still getting security updates.

Reactions: addamas

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've wanted to downsize for awhile - I held a mini 13 in the store when they came out and almost bought one. I too think I'd miss the telephoto lens.

I miss having a phone that doesn't pull my pants down in my back pocket (like my 13 Pro Max does).

Seriously considering going Pro next phone I get.

Only thing I'd be worried about with an 11 Pro is getting an old one that sat on the shelf for a long time.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I've wanted to downsize for awhile - I held a mini 13 in the store when they came out and almost bought one. I too think I'd miss the telephoto lens.

I miss having a phone that doesn't pull my pants down in my back pocket (like my 13 Pro Max does).

Seriously considering going Pro next phone I get.

Only thing I'd be worried about with an 11 Pro is getting an old one that sat on the shelf for a long time.
Battery replacement is inevitable when one buys older phones. I will monitor mine closely, although it still says 97% capacity in Settings.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
If you need info on how it handles MagSafe charger with MagSafe case… :)
I use it on home office desk - charger heats a lot (used heat sinks for it) and charges with like 2-5W but it’s enough to charge it in the end of day if needed to do something highly battery consuming after work.
Normally I just use it as a handly stand.

So I can say 11Pro is also futureproof if MagSafe charging will come to be #1 wireless solution as it looks to be

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you need info on how it handles MagSafe charger with MagSafe case… :)
I use it on home office desk - charger heats a lot (used heat sinks for it) and charges with like 2-5W but it’s enough to charge it in the end of day if needed to do something highly battery consuming after work.
Normally I just use it as a handly stand.

So I can say 11Pro is also futureproof if MagSafe charging will come to be #1 wireless solution as it looks to be
I’m seeing people using MagSafe even with their older iPhone XS. Looks like a lot of 3rd parties making MagSafe compatible cases for these older iPhones as they also support qi charging (minus the magnets). The downside I’m reading is that these “hacks” don’t have as strong “bite” compared to real genuine MagSafe cases for the iPhone 12 and newer.

I’m an old school guy that prefers plugging in a cable to charge my phones though :D

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Yes, the 11Pro is a great phone. I recently retired mine when I got my 14 Pro Max. I wanted more screen. I do miss the 11Pro’s form factor. It just fits your so nicely.

Enjoy yours. It’s a fine phone.

Reactions: addamas and ian87w

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I bought an Apple refurb 11 Pro Max 256 GB midnight green in July 2020. Still works great. No lagging. Lightning port is still holding up. Takes great pix and videos. I charge it once a day, and that's only to keep it above 50%. It can go two days on a charge if I don't mind getting it down to 30% or so. I don't need 5G for what I do (email, FB, IG), so being on 4G is not a hardship.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
11 Pro is a great phone, I had the 11 Pro Max and it was absolutely solid, I would still recommend any of the models in the 11 range to this day, the A13 Bionic is more than capable and will be for years to come, the camera is fantastic and the design with rounded edges is much friendlier in the hand than the more recent stuff.

The ONLY fault I have with iPhone 11 series is that Intel modem, it is inefficient and not very good when you are in a place with low signal, other than that, excellent devices.

Reactions: CoMoMacUser

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I usually trade in my old phones when I upgrade. I might keep this 11 Pro even if I buy a new phone in the future. It’s one of those rare gems from Apple.
I agree. I upgraded, but am keeping my 11 Pro as a back-up. I love its form factor, but wanted the added screen size and camera upgrade of the 14PM.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
If you get it, get it from Apple because their refurbs have a brand-new battery and back. You can get one for less elsewhere, but to me, a fresh battery was worth the premium. I got mine in July 2020, and the max capacity currently is a very respectable 93%.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Just iOS 16 bugs.

+1 on the 5 watt charger. I don’t care what others say. It’s gonna be the best for battery health and not frying your device.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
About almost a month in using the 11 Pro as my daily driver, and I have my thoughts on what I missed from my Samsung.

Annoyances:

1. Notifications.
On Android, I have granular control over notifications on the OS level. Ie I can allow certain ones to go through while block others (eg marketing ones). On iOS, the OS only offers an all or nothing switch. Some decent apps allow granular controls in-app, but others don't. It's unfortunate, especially for e-wallet/e-commerce apps where you do want to be notified on your transactions/orders, but majority of their notifications are marketing.

2. No built-in call recording
A standard feature on most Android skins (OneUI, MiUI, etc). I understand the absence, as it might get Apple in legal issues in some countries (even Google Pixel don't have this feature either), but it's still annoying.

3. No twin app feature.
Not a total dealbreaker as I can workaround this by converting one of my whatsapp account into whatsapp business. But it's still annoying. Meanwhile, I can have 3 Whatsapp account on an Android phone (2 regular Whatsapp via twin app feature, 1 WA business).

4. Stock keyboard doesn't support multilingual.
I avoid using 3rd party keyboards on iOS, but it's just annoying that Apple to this day don't support multilingual properly like GBoard does.

What I love:

1. FaceID.
It's just seamless. When I pick up the phone, it unlocks automatically showing my notifications. Then I swipe to go to the home screen. I set my notifications to hide their content on the lockscreen for obvious privacy reasons. On a TouchID/fingerprint based phone, I have to unlock (which brings me right to the home screen), and then swipe down to check the notifications. An extra steps. I'm loving FaceID. It really feels like the future. :D

2. The mute switch.
On Android, only OnePlus have this feature. The rest, you have to rely on switching the phone to silent/DND through the UI. The mute hardware switch on the iPhone is more discrete and you can do it blind while the phone is in the pocket.

Love/hate:

1. The stock iOS mail app
I really like the simplicity of iOS mail app, and it supports push email from most services, including GMail and Exchange. Many 3rd party apps don't offer this. However, it's really annoying that the mail app only downloads emails when you open it, despite it had notified me of the new email beforehand. Really annoying, as when I open the email app and wanting to pick/delete an email, and suddenly the email list is refreshed in the middle of my action, which sometimes resulting me deleting the wrong email.

2. Battery life
Well, it's better than my 7 Plus, for sure. But still, it's still 1000mAh less than my S21. It does last me a day, with 10-20% at the end of the day (vs the 7 Plus not lasting till mid-day), but my S21 still gives better endurance with typically ~30% left at the end of the day. Stand-by time though, typical for iPhone, it lasts forever.

3. The lockscreen
I love the way notifications are shown from the bottom. Makes it easier when using the phone one handed. But, I really hate the inability to change the shortcuts, especially the flashlight. Since there's no 3D touch, I have accidentally turned on the flashlight just by grabbing/holding the phone normally. Changing wallpaper now feels more tedious now than iOS15 though.

The size and feel of the 11 Pro is still a winner though. It just feels robust, solid without feeling too heavy, small enough to be useful as a modern smartphone without sacrificing too much battery. I'm still loving it despite the annoyances. :)

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
To my mind the 11 Pro is somewhat of a landmark, last Pro model with curved design, also last Pro model to accept a smart battery case. Size for me is close to perfect, I managed to pick up an original factory sealed model late last year for a very good price. Battery life is great, size is excellent and I suspect if my 6s is still getting updates then the 11 Pro should be just fine for a few years yet.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
To my mind the 11 Pro is somewhat of a landmark, last Pro model with curved design, also last Pro model to accept a smart battery case. Size for me is close to perfect, I managed to pick up an original factory sealed model late last year for a very good price. Battery life is great, size is excellent and I suspect if my 6s is still getting updates then the 11 Pro should be just fine for a few years yet.
It is a perfect size. I’m really wondering why Apple ditched this size (I’m guessing it’s a cost cutting measure to streamline production, making the Pro the same size as the regular iPhone).

I’m not too worried about software updates. Both iOS 12 and 15 are still getting security updates. Seems like Apple kinda understood that there are many of these old phones on the market, especially in enterprise.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Went from an 11 Pro to a 14 Pro.

Pros: Cellular connectivity in the 14 is heads and tails better than the 11 in marginal areas. The 11 was borderline useless when I had 1 bar of signal, with the 14, it's always usable with any signal strength. The purple color is kind of cool, LOL. The screen has slightly nicer colors/sharpness.

Cons: Everything else. The form factor kind of sucks, and the 14's camera takes forever to focus (good luck with UPC scanning apps). That ***** Lightning Port that should have been replaced two years ago.

I don't necessarily regret the upgrade (the improved cellular chip really is a game changer, I live in an area that doesn't always have great signal), but, if I had to do it over I'd wait another year for the 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.