Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zephar77

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Texas
Testimony, that my iPhone 11 when new could get almost get two days battery life. Now I’m lucky to get three hours. There’s been no changes in settings, and battery charging optimization has always been turned on. Looked for advice on how to preserve battery life and settings to use for this and follow them.

Under settings, Battery health when under AppleCare plus, which expired just a couple months ago, was in the high 90%, and now suddenly says 87%, which I believe anything under 90% not considered healthy. I have also been reading in various places that is there is an ongoing class action suit against Apple accusing them of purposely degrading performance, specifically battery life, and specifically affecting iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 series.

Any advice on how to extend battery life on 128 GB iPhone 11, or anything to do to circumvent the changes that have been done with updates to the operating system?

Best, Seth

P.S. Notice there has already been settlement, and expiration dates they dating back to 2018. Does anyone have any advice what route to take to get my iPhone 11 back to normal performance. I noticed there was a window of opportunity to replace your battery for $29 instead of $79, but there’s no Apple store within 300 miles of here. And really not feasible to be without my phone for a week sending to Apple. I think there is a qualified or certified “Simply Mac” store in the small Texas town

Reactions: Ram65

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You've got a 2+ year old iPhone and batteries degrade. Your battery capacity is actually down to 65% of what Apple considers usable (Apple considers an 80% reading as the threshold).

There is nothing sinister going on, you simply have a degraded battery. The battery is designed for 500 cycles and you've probably exceeded that over 24 months.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone 11 shipped with iOS 13 installed. iOS 15 is a completely different beast. That may be the culprit.
87% battery health is fine (87% is actually more like 65%).

If an iPhone battery health is above 80% after one year of use - it has fulfilled its designed specification.

Instead of talking about law suits, just get another battery. And in the future, if you want battery longevity to remain constant, don’t install newer iOS updates - they’re always more taxing than the previous version.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
iPhone 11 shipped with iOS 13 installed. iOS 15 is a completely different beast. That may be the culprit.

If an iPhone battery health is above 80% after one year of use - it has fulfilled its designed specification.

Instead of talking about law suits, just get another battery. And in the future, if you want battery longevity to remain constant, don’t install newer iOS updates - they’re always more taxing than the previous version.

Now I see it (and Jpack), What does this mean, when 87% battery health is shown on the iphone, but is actually more like 65%. Just curious to know for my own education.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
The iPhone 12s were the only series I understood to use substandard batteries.

Apple’s built-in charge optimization is pretty marginal, they could have made it SO much better with a couple simple user-defined settings, but they’d lose sales if folks kept their phones longer. Then again, there’s zero consensus on what best charge practices are anyways, so putting that control in user hands might even create more problems.

To Apple’s credit, they do provide longer OS support than Android; have a nominal fee battery replacement; and offer the capability to program custom battery optimizations through their shortcut automations (+smartplug)…. for those folks that want to use their phones longer.

I’m a battery/efficiency hobbyist, run an automated custom optimization, and tend to get Apple’s ‘up to’ 16hr SOT spec when brand new, and arguably approaching 3yrs later.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I took my 11 with 350 cycles and 80% to an Apple Authorized repair shop to do a battery swap and they said no. They told me that unless it gets into the 70-75% range Apple will refuse the replacement. I just ordered a Smart Battery Case from eBay.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Testimony, that my iPhone 11 when new could get almost get two days battery life. Now I’m lucky to get three hours. There’s been no changes in settings, and battery charging optimization has always been turned on. Looked for advice on how to preserve battery life and settings to use for this and follow them.

Under settings, Battery health when under AppleCare plus, which expired just a couple months ago, was in the high 90%, and now suddenly says 87%, which I believe anything under 90% not considered healthy. I have also been reading in various places that is there is an ongoing class action suit against Apple accusing them of purposely degrading performance, specifically battery life, and specifically affecting iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 series.

Any advice on how to extend battery life on 128 GB iPhone 11, or anything to do to circumvent the changes that have been done with updates to the operating system?

Best, Seth

P.S. Notice there has already been settlement, and expiration dates they dating back to 2018. Does anyone have any advice what route to take to get my iPhone 11 back to normal performance. I noticed there was a window of opportunity to replace your battery for $29 instead of $79, but there’s no Apple store within 300 miles of here. And really not feasible to be without my phone for a week sending to Apple. I think there is a qualified or certified “Simply Mac” store in the small Texas town
I had a weird bug on mine for awhile that the calendar app from my exchange account was constantly syncing the calendar and it was crushing the battery hard. I turned off exchange sync and just used the outlook app which is better anyways. Turn off background refresh too.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
What does this mean, when 87% battery health is shown on the iphone, but is actually more like 65
Apple makes up numbers to show in the battery health app that have no relevance to the real world. (they’re lies).

When iOS says a battery’s health is at 80%, it certainly won’t be like a new battery with only 20% less run time. It’s getting near end of life.

By the time it says 70%, the phone is almost unusable unless always plugged in.
So 70% essentially = garbage.

So the span from New Battery to unusable Battery is only 30 percentage points - not 100 and whatever the number (%) says really should be multiplied by 3 to give a real world indication based on the iOS scale of 100.

So when the battery health app says 80% (20% less than 100), multiply 20 X 3 to get a more realistic number as to the health of the battery = 40% life remaining (roughly)

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Apple makes up numbers to show in the battery health app that have no relevance to the real world. (they’re lies).

When iOS says a battery’s health is at 80%, it certainly won’t be like a new battery with only 20% less run time. It’s getting near end of life.

By the time it says 70%, the phone is almost unusable unless always plugged in.
So 70% essentially = garbage.

So the span from New Battery to unusable Battery is only 30 percentage points - not 100 and whatever the number (%) says really should be multiplied by 3 to give a real world indication based on the iOS scale of 100.

So when the battery health app says 80% (20% less than 100), multiply 20 X 3 to get a more realistic number as to the health of the battery = 40% life remaining (roughly)
OK yes I understand and this makes perfect sense, thank you for the clarification.

Reactions: Tyler O'Bannon

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Best, Seth

P.S. Notice there has already been settlement, and expiration dates they dating back to 2018. Does anyone have any advice what route to take to get my iPhone 11 back to normal performance. I noticed there was a window of opportunity to replace your battery for $29 instead of $79, but there’s no Apple store within 300 miles of here. And really not feasible to be without my phone for a week sending to Apple. I think there is a qualified or certified “Simply Mac” store in the small Texas
You gonna have to upgrade to a 13 series that will solve your battery problems

• Haha
Reactions: PlayUltimate

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
I took my 11 with 350 cycles and 80% to an Apple Authorized repair shop to do a battery swap and they said no. They told me that unless it gets into the 70-75% range Apple will refuse the replacement. I just ordered a Smart Battery Case from eBay.
Find a new shop or an Apple Store. This may very well have been your experience at this shop, but it’s plain incorrect. For warranty coverage (free) you have to be less than 80% in the coverage period but you can get a new battery installed at your request (paid) any time you want for any reason you want.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Find a new shop or an Apple Store. This may very well have been your experience at this shop, but it’s plain incorrect. For warranty coverage (free) you have to be less than 80% in the coverage period but you can get a new battery installed at your request (paid) any time you want for any reason you want.
It was a geek squad at a Best Buy by my house. They said that Apple refused to do it, not them. I setup the repair through the Apple web site. I was willing to pay for a new battery as its right at 80% shown in settings and Coconut reports the same thing. Its not a big deal, I am just using the 11 as a iPod around the house since I still have my sim in my XS.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
Maybe for warranty replacement they won’t do it until it’s down to 80%. But if you are willing to pay out of pocket, they will replace your battery whenever you want. Considering the new battery cost is pretty low, OP should just have theirs replaced. It will resolve the issue most likely. 2 years is about right for a batter charged daily. It’s also possible there are software issues going on so a restore might help. Tough to say.

IIRC the battery settlement was for the 6S. And it was for them throttling the cpu when the battery was degraded so that the phone wouldn’t shut off. They still do this, the difference is they tell the user now.

Reactions: now i see it

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
you can get a new battery installed at your request (paid) any time you want for any reason you want.

The Apple store wouldn’t replace the battery in my 5-year old iPad Pro until it fell below 80% capacity.

Zephar77

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Texas

That’s what I wanted to hear. I’ve been stupidly upgrading every time one shows up, then got suspicious after the last three iPhones did pretty much the same thing…

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The Apple store wouldn’t replace the battery in my 5-year old iPad Pro until it fell below 80% capacity.
They won’t do it on iPads until it’s under 80% as they replace the entire iPad not just the battery. iPhones are a different matter.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
1. Don't charge your phone through the night despite of the charging optimization (it will barely help you protect the battery since the battery will always get to 100). The battery will degrade if it was kept at 100 for a long time.
2. Try not to fully charge or discharge. Getting to 100 or below 20 is not good. Also it's a good idea to let the battery remain at 50 and shut the whole thing down if you are putting any device away for a long time.
3. Use a fast charger as long as the phone is not damn hot(above 37C or 98F will cause the battery to degrade)

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I once owned the 11 PM and trust me, both 11 and 11 Pro series had stellar battery life when it was first launched.

Then iOS 14 happened and battery life was shorter. Even at 87%, the 11 would have done well if it was running on iOS 13. But when we download the latest iOS version on an older generation device, battery will take a hit. That’s my experience so far over the years of owning almost every iPhone since 2012.

Reactions: Boyyai and Fozamo

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
My 11 Pro Max is on 87% but it’s still getting stellar battery life.

Sounds like your 11 definitely needs a new battery, I get the feeling my 11PM will need a battery before end of this year, even though it’s battery life is still great it’s not at the high level it was brand new, but I still get well over a full day of heavy usage.

Reactions: Boyyai
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.