Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I'm facing the same situation as you.

Had an XS that only dipped to 99% after slightly a year. However, my current 12 mini is already 98% after 3 months :(
Similar experience. XS was at 88% after 2 years and mini is 98% from middle of December. I still charging only on wireless charger with 5W max overnight. Seems to me that battery in mini will degrade more quickly than XS.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Nothing to worry about, keep using your phone as you normally do, replace battery once it hits 80%, most likely won’t happen for a while, probably have a new phone before that happens. ?
It's when AC+ paid out.

Reactions: LFC2020

shook187

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
My secondhand mini came with 100% battery health but just over a month with it, it's down to 98%...this is adding a little anxiety to my life

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Still at 100%. Purchased 01/01/2021 directly from Apple and I’ve pretty much only used the 5w wired charger. Occasionally, I did use a Samsung wireless charger a few times from about 40%-70%.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
My secondhand mini came with 100% battery health but just over a month with it, it's down to 98%...this is adding a little anxiety to my life
It’s strange that people are dealing with this battery percentage issue after mini came out. But it happened all of the iPhone before, mostly iPhone is for a 2-3 years working device. Then it would be perfect to get a new battery. As long as I pay for Apple Care+ I’m changing battery every two years.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I have coconut battery on my Mac. I'm still at 103% on the mini I got in mid-January. It's my second phone though, so I don't use more than maybe 30 percent of the battery each day (and only charge every other day since batteries don't like being fully charged).

Reactions: BigMcGuire

frozzbite

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
My iPhone 12 mini (got on launch day) is down to 84 percent.
Just 5 more percent and you get a free battery swap!

I got mine in January 2021 and i’m now at 86%. I went to the Genius bar to have it checked at 88%, and they gave me a ton of BS about how i was a heavy user especially on weekends -_-

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I now have a shortcut automation that turns the smart plug back on when battery is below 95%.
The automation will keep the phone charged 94-96% if i leaved it plugged in indefinitely. Lol

BADE79E0-650C-431A-BF70-50A00A820D21.png

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
There's definitely something to be said of charging one's phone 80-100%. I notice (using a Kill-a-Watt) that the phone draws much less than it could past 80% - and trickle charges down to single watts after 95%.

For people using the 5w iPhone charger because they feel that slow charging helps their phone - then only using 80-100% is in their best interest because below 80%, the phone will ask for all the wattage it can if it can get it.

I'm a fairly light user and all my iPhones have faired pretty well within a 2 year lifespan mostly because I've done the 80-100%. This year's iPhone I am doing the 60-80% and notice that the phone gets a little warm when charging due to it not being at 80%+. But so far health remains. From my own personal observations with coconutBattery, doing 80-100% and 60-80% seems almost no difference, at least within a year of ownership.

For those worried about their capacity dropping - I've had batteries come 96% of design capacity from the factory while others, 108%. It's best not to worry too much. Initial battery capacity, lifespan, and longevity seem to me to be so varied that going out of your way to inconvenience yourself to baby these batteries does not seem worth one's time. We read it here on Macrumors - some people wireless charge, drain to 0%, use their phones heavily and are at 100%. Others baby their phones and are at 89%.

I've always gotten the same phone as my wife - so I've gotten to compare a heavy user to me (light user). Even within a 2 year timeframe, our capacities were not terribly different (within a few % points) despite my wife having hundreds of more charge cycles and using her phone very heavily.

I'm still doing the 60-80% because it doesn't inconvenience me all that much (especially working at home). But whenever I go out for a vacation or work trip, I usually will charge to 100% because I rely on my iPhone for communication, airplane tickets, and $.

Reactions: bigwordbird

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
Mine is still on 100% after 3+ months. It tends to spend most of its life on a magnetic Qi charger, either in my van or on my desk, but with optimised battery charging switched on.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
My XR is on 86% after 3 years so I’d also be pretty out out if a new phone was on less after only a year. Hope the 13s won’t have this issue l as I quite fancy an upgrade!

Einkoro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Canada
92% after 7 months. By far the worst battery life of any of the iphones I’ve owned over the last decade with it rarely lasting more than half a day despite light usage. Also tends to overheat and reduce brightness very frequently which was rarely if ever an issue on prior models for me.

Reactions: Dekema2

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
After 7 months and after an iOS 15B8 upgrade it has now gone down to 99% finally. Quite happy if it won't go much faster. But it will. Just was lucky with the battery I guess, there are differences in capacity. Apple's information about capacity is the minimum when device is produced.

But I charge my Mini almost exclusively with the 5W charger. Only a few times when I needed to get it charged faster, I used the 12W iPad charger. Never used the 20W charger I bought though. And I rarely use it while charging. Not intensively at least. That could get the temperature even higher and affect battery capacity too.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
After 7 months and after an iOS 15B8 upgrade it has now gone down to 99% finally. Quite happy if it won't go much faster. But it will. Just was lucky with the battery I guess, there are differences in capacity. Apple's information about capacity is the minimum when device is produced.

But I charge my Mini almost exclusively with the 5W charger. Only a few times when I needed to get it charged faster, I used the 12W iPad charger. Never used the 20W charger I bought though. And I rarely use it while charging. Not intensively at least. That could get the temperature even higher and affect battery capacity too.
Mine went from 100% to 99% after 9 months, then shortly after (a few days) it dropped to 98%. Now it has been around 10 months since I got the phone and it has stayed on 98%, so I'm happy with my battery. Oh, and I've exclusively been using the 20W charger during all this time, btw. ;)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Major774

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2020
I have been working hard to kill off my current mini battery since launch… currently down to 90% capacity hehe. Pure MagSafe and wireless charging, never plugged in once.

I charge at random times… even at 90%+… I let the battery drain to 0%… Whatever haha.

I don’t care as I upgrade every year.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.