Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Whoa! That’s extremely heavy use… This is a thread about the 12 mini… Surely you must be using a Pro Max, no?
Nope, this is the 12 mini. Also as a side note, I'm an avid Spotify user which is why it's showing 0 songs. I have 1,064 songs saved on Spotify
D57255C2-35A8-4153-B5E4-AA842CAE2054.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Barbareren

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Nope, this is the 12 mini. Also as a side note, I'm an avid Spotify user which is why it's showing 0 songs. I have 1,064 songs saved on Spotify View attachment 1831765
Wow, and I thought I was a heavy user, lol… Never had such battery stats. Very impressive indeed! At the very most I’ve gotten 10-11 ours of combined screen ON and screen OFF usage (with the screen OFF usage mostly being podcast streaming).

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I’ve been keeping mine on a magnetic Qi charger for the last month or so, or charging overnight via Lightening. Battery health optimisation is activated. Is this going to be damaging my battery?

Major774

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2020
I’ve been keeping mine on a magnetic Qi charger for the last month or so, or charging overnight via Lightening. Battery health optimisation is activated. Is this going to be damaging my battery?
I have been MagSafe charging every night since launch and I am down to 89%… I hope that helps.

I upgrade yearly so I don’t care about battery life.

Jazmin17

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2021
For those of you with the mini, what is your battery health at this point?

I’m a light user, only needing to charge every other day and never going below 20% charge- but I am down to 98% health already.
My 1 year old 11 was still at 100% when I sold it, so I am concerned about the health on this one going forward.
I’ve had my mini since January and have 98% health, I would say I am a light to medium user averaging around 4,5 hours per day of use. My mother on the other hand is a very heavy user ( up to 15 hours a day ) and the battery health of her mini is at 88%. She got hers around a month before I got mine. She charges her phone up to 4 times a day, and generally keeps it at around 70%, which is probably the culprit.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Not a power user by any means but I only slow charge on a wireless charger not a mag safe at all, the mini 12 is at 99% now

Reactions: prazakj

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
Launch day 12 mini at 93% after 13 1/2 months.

Was moderate to high use but less now with my beautiful iPad Pro 11” that has a mountain of battery life. I have mostly charged it between 40% and 80%, mostly using the 5W charger from my old iPhone XS and that’s even easier to do now that I have the iPad. Last night I charged to 100%. I do that every couple of months.

I would like to see where the figure goes after a reset. My SE 1 went from 88% to 93%.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Launch day Mini at 84%.

Before that i had a launch day iPhone X dad i didn't even get down to 90% after years...

Very dissapointing.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
I was extremely disappointed in the 12 mini's battery life.

Im a very light phone user and I was coming from an iPhone XR. The Xr lasted me 3 days with very light use and would have 20-30% battery left before I needed to charge it.

The 12 mini was horrendous. I would use the phone the same way as I did with my Xr, and the 12 mini would use battery pretty fast (it would also get pretty warm doing basic things like phone calls). I would be anywhere from 40-60% battery in the first day. By the end of the 2nd day I would be 10-20% battery.

I ended up selling it before the battery health % would drop. (I only had it about 80 days). but that was enough for me to know I didn't want to keep it long term.

fluffy

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
launch day 12 mini, not a heavy user, magsafe every night, 85%, battery doesn’t even last all day for me anymore as of a couple days ago and I barely use it. First time I’ve been disappointed in an Apple product’s battery life.

The battery control panel says that a ridiculous amount of battery is going into the COVID contact tracing app, which I don’t think it used to do. And with the way COVID is spreading now it doesn’t seem like it does much good anyway (since the criteria for “contact” are now woefully outdated), so maybe I should just turn it off. I barely spend time in the presence of other human beings anymore anyway.

fluffy

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253027069 is a good reminder that it’s complete charge cycles that age the battery, and a smaller-capacity battery will age faster because even lighter usage uses a larger proportion of a cycle, relatively speaking. When I bought the mini I was fine with the lower active battery life given my usage patterns but I hadn’t considered that would accelerate how it ages.

Guess this is a reason to go back to a full-sized phone for my next one. A shame, as I love the relatively-small form factor (which is about the same size as the iPhone 6 which I bought despite feeling like it was “too big” at the time).

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The battery life of the mini has always been something of a worry for me. While I work at a desk so theoretically I shouldn't be worried, I sometimes take work flights to the other side of the country (usually a 6am-8pm event) and having a phone that can handle that easily is nice. That said, I've read of users here who have 1.5+ days of usage out of their mini. I imagine they don't use their phones all that much.

I get ridiculous standby on my 13PM. But I ALMOST bought a 13mini this year especially cuz I couldn't find a 13PM to buy for the longest time.

And yes, while having a larger battery helps with cycles - how you use it is a big impact too. I rarely game, don't do social media, and rarely watch videos on my iPhone. I use <=20% of my battery a day with ~2 hours of screen on time.

So at this point, if it meant I had to charge a few times a day, I am still strongly considering the mini. I never take my iPhone with me places if I can help it - cuz it pulls my pants down. I'd rather just use my cellular watch.

Grass is always greener.... <sigh>.

Reactions: prazakj

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
The battery life of the mini has always been something of a worry for me. While I work at a desk so theoretically I shouldn't be worried, I sometimes take work flights to the other side of the country (usually a 6am-8pm event) and having a phone that can handle that easily is nice. That said, I've read of users here who have 1.5+ days of usage out of their mini. I imagine they don't use their phones all that much.

I get ridiculous standby on my 13PM. But I ALMOST bought a 13mini this year especially cuz I couldn't find a 13PM to buy for the longest time.

And yes, while having a larger battery helps with cycles - how you use it is a big impact too. I rarely game, don't do social media, and rarely watch videos on my iPhone. I use <=20% of my battery a day with ~2 hours of screen on time.

So at this point, if it meant I had to charge a few times a day, I am still strongly considering the mini. I never take my iPhone with me places if I can help it - cuz it pulls my pants down. I'd rather just use my cellular watch.

Grass is always greener.... <sigh>.
I feel for you so much. Right now I’m using 13 because I was scared that 13 mini would be similar to 12 mini, just after a longer period thanks to its better battery than previous smaller version. I really loved small factor, from one-handed typing to it’s light and almost 40g less than bigger ones. After few days with bigger one I’m kinda miss that smaller factor that I’m consider returning the bigger one. I’m working all day at the desk and these days I’m not even going out too much. I only feel that if I go for a 13 mini I will knocking on my head after fe. two years. 13 seems a more logical for me if I want to stick with this model for a few years.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

fluffy

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
That's the same usage profile as me but on my 12Mini that would end up using at least 80% even when the battery was brand new. I wonder what the real overriding factor is in how much battery gets used.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.