Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
…and for some reason the display is easier on my eyes on my 12 Mini, so I am likely going to return the 13 Mini.
Not because there is anything at all wrong with it- but the slight discomfort on my eyes …
Interesting that you should say that. I was at a Apple Store the other day and I thought I did notice my 12mini screen looked “nicer” than the 13mini. It was more a subconscious impression and I didn’t pay any attention to it. But not after reading your comment, I am intrigued.

Do you still have both phones? Could you elaborate on why you prefer the 12mini screen?

Has anyone else noticed that the 12mini screen is easier on the eyes than the 13mini?

Edit: If you still have the 13mini, would you please set both Phones to TrueTone OFF, set the same brightness on both, and then see which one you prefer? Thanks!

Last edited:

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Interesting that you should say that. I was at a Apple Store the other day and I thought I did notice my 12mini screen looked “nicer” than the 13mini. It was more a subconscious impression and I didn’t pay any attention to it. But not after reading your comment, I am intrigued.

Do you still have both phones? Could you elaborate on why you prefer the 12mini screen?

Has anyone else noticed that the 12mini screen is easier on the eyes than the 13mini?
I have both, and I noticed the opposite. The 12 mini display was way too warm, color temperature-wise, and the PWM was really bad in the dark or with low brightness.

The 13 mini is somewhat closer to the neutral color temperature that my iPhone X has, and the PWM is slightly less bad.

The warm temperature of the 12 mini might be what you like about that display, but to me it looks very unnatural. It gives everything an orange tint.

Reactions: IJBrekke

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I have both, and I noticed the opposite. The 12 mini display was way too warm, color temperature-wise, and the PWM was really bad in the dark or with low brightness.

The 13 mini is somewhat closer to the neutral color temperature that my iPhone X has, and the PWM is slightly less bad.

The warm temperature of the 12 mini might be what you like about that display, but to me it looks very unnatural. It gives everything an orange tint.
Thank you for the feedback. My 12mini screen is not warm, it is more or less on par with other OLED displays. I actually don’t like warm-toned screens so that would not be a reason to prefer my screen to the 13mini. We know there are sample variations in the screens which could be the reason for preferring one screen to another.

I’ll make another trip to the Apple Store and have another look. They have several 13 minis there.

Reactions: xpxp2002

ag21

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Making the jump in the next few days for the battery alone. My 12 is at 89%, and I usually charge overnight. Having to plug in early afternoon at the office most days.

Reactions: silvia_18

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
So my 13 mini arrived and it’s easily my favorite iPhone of all time.

I will never go back to a bigger screen, so I’ll be a relentless holdout for the next 5-7 years until we’re full supercycle back to the future with the iPhone 20 Pro Mini.

Only on day two of use and my hands are no longer in constant pain. 12 Pro was a monster that I can’t believe I wrestled with.

Now, for the only con of all. By the end of my workday I was at 54%. Not great. By the time I had decompressed I was at 34%. Hmm…

Alright, so now my MagSafe battery pack is actually useful, and oh joy it actually fits the mini frame quite cromulently.

All this to say, once you go mini, you never go… not mini…?

Oh wait the camera is also noticeably less capable than a Pro phone but whatever; not a photographer.

Screen quality is unmatched, and I don’t mind not having 120hz, it barely makes a difference on my 12.9 iPad Pro anyway.

I’m after the size. The small size. I know that about myself now.

Last edited:

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Oh wait the camera is also noticeably less capable than a Pro phone but whatever; not a photographer.

There’s very little difference in reality. The 13 mini gets the sensor and stability features from the outgoing 12 pro max, which was the best you could get until the new models came out, plus Apple have improved the software and algorithm for the cameras.
The only thing you’re missing out on really is the telephoto lens.

This video shows just how close the regular 13 and 13 mini are to the Pro models…

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Upgrading 13 mini from 12 mini is not a move I will do
Wait for 14 or choose 13 pro series
I'm trading in my 12 Mini for the 13 mini this year as love the Mini form factor, but next year i'm getting the 14 Pro. The 13 Pro's this year are really on another level (bit heavy though).

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
And the macro feature, and autofocus on the ultrawide lense (on which the macro feature is based).
There are articles claiming that the 13 and Mini will do Macro but Apple is not advertising this — wouldn’t be the first time these guys write articled based on no hands-on experience.

My wife’s 13 Mini has arrived but I’ve not set it up yet. I want to do a complete backup of her 7 to her iMac first. She got the Product Red which looks much better in person than the pictures—more of a deep ruby color.

Reactions: snipr125

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
did any 13 mini owners just get a customer survey from apple? LOTS of questions about the mini—size, weight, etc.

Reactions: xpxp2002

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
did any 13 mini owners just get a customer survey from apple? LOTS of questions about the mini—size, weight, etc.
I did. Was thrilled to actually receive one and what they were interested in knowing.

I’ve heard about these surveys but never got one, myself.

Slash787

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2019
I have the iPhone 13 mini and I do have to say the battery life is pretty wow!

Is the battery life of iPhone 12 mini really that bad? I am considering to buy the 12 mini for my mom, she has the 6S at the moment, she wants to get the SE 2, but I guess the 12 mini is a much better option and I am sure the 12 mini has a better battery life than the 6S and the SE 2.

I did see the Starlight colour of 13 in person, but I haven't seen the White colour of the 12 in person, are they similar? can anyone share a picture of the Starlight and White side by side?

Reactions: Fozamo

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I have the iPhone 13 mini and I do have to say the battery life is pretty wow!

Is the battery life of iPhone 12 mini really that bad? I am considering to buy the 12 mini for my mom, she has the 6S at the moment, she wants to get the SE 2, but I guess the 12 mini is a much better option and I am sure the 12 mini has a better battery life than the 6S and the SE 2.

I did see the Starlight colour of 13 in person, but I haven't seen the White colour of the 12 in person, are they similar? can anyone share a picture of the Starlight and White side by side?
I had a 12 mini before swapping to the Z Flip 3. I used it for nearly a year, and the battery life wasn't phenomenal but it wasn't horrible, either. I know that's a very unscientific measurement, but I never found myself having to charge in the middle of the day or needing to quickly "top it up" if I knew I wasn't going to be around a charger for an event or at work. For your mother, I'm fairly certain that she won't have any battery "issues" whatsoever.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington

Edit: If you still have the 13mini, would you please set both Phones to TrueTone OFF, set the same brightness on both, and then see which one you prefer? Thanks!

I just returned the 13 mini.
Hard to describe, but the 13 mini screen seemed sharper- it’s hard to describe. At the same brightness level side by side, these looked about the same but the 13 mini looked a tad brighter. My eyes would hurt a bit looking at the 13 mini while my 12 mini of course felt fine to look at.

Reactions: firoze

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
Thank you for the update. I will check the 13 mini screens at the store and then decide whether to Buy.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Hopefully for some generations later or SE4 or something. SE3 and iPhone 14 I believe to be done already.

Or maybe, maybe for the folding iPhone in a few years. But there is definitely a reason for the survey. I like that!!!!!

I am really on the fence of ordering now. Love the new pink color, better modem and battery life. But I don't need it right now. I am still happy with my 12 Mini. Wanted to wait till I get it for the a price where I could say I would get AC+ (169€) for free. But that will take time. Amazon has all models in stock from the beginning. A good sign for a sale in the earlier days. But probably not 170€ off for a few months. Not about money here, but about principles. Stupid principles. :D

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Thank you for the update. I will check the 13 mini screens at the store and then decide whether to Buy.

I’d definitely take a look at it if I were you. I think truthfully, the 13 mini had a better display- better clarity, contrast, and brightness. For me, it just seemed I couldn’t find the right settings where the whites and other bright colors didn’t seem to feel sharp on my eyes.

I probably would have adjusted to it- but I started getting buyer’s remorse since the 12 mini I have is still a fantastic phone and I didn’t think it was worth the extra expense to keep it after what I would have gotten for selling my 12 mini.

But it is a fantastic phone- the upgraded camera, more storage, and slightly improved battery life make it I think the perfect phone.

Reactions: xpxp2002 and firoze

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I’d definitely take a look at it if I were you. I think truthfully, the 13 mini had a better display- better clarity, contrast, and brightness. For me, it just seemed I couldn’t find the right settings where the whites and other bright colors didn’t seem to feel sharp on my eyes.

I probably would have adjusted to it- but I started getting buyer’s remorse since the 12 mini I have is still a fantastic phone and I didn’t think it was worth the extra expense to keep it after what I would have gotten for selling my 12 mini.

But it is a fantastic phone- the upgraded camera, more storage, and slightly improved battery life make it I think the perfect phone.
Thanks. Your description of the 13 sounds appealing. I will definitely take another look amd then decide whether to upgrade.

Reactions: jm31828

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
I had a 12 mini that I originally upgraded to a 13 Pro because the battery life on the 12 was noticeably bad (I typically had to recharge around 2pm after unplugging at 7am).

I liked a lot about the 13 Pro but it’s a real solid slab of glass and I missed the form factor and weight of the mini, so I just picked up a 13 mini to give the battery life a real (for me) test.

So far it’s been great - I pulled it off the charge this afternoon at 1 and used it as I normally do and I’m still at 57% nine and a half hours later with 3.5 hours of screen time.

I’ll know better after tomorrow how improved the battery life is, but so far all signs point to a noticeable improvement.

(Also, the Product RED colour this year is fantastic. I’m normally not a big bold colour phone guy but this year’s shade of red is really lovely.)

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
(Also, the Product RED colour this year is fantastic. I’m normally not a big bold colour phone guy but this year’s shade of red is really lovely.)
Oh yea. My wife’s arrived and it’s frickin’ gorgeous — much, much nicer looking than in the picture. More of a cranberry color.

My 13 Pro isn’t scheduled to arrive for a couple more weeks. If that color was available, I’d change my order right now. Instead, I’ll be getting boring ol’ Graphite. Dang.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I'm super boring and will probably never own a non-white or non-black/gray phone, but the pink 13 mini looks awesome.

Reactions: RRC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.