Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I guess it’s safe to say, for anyone keeping their 12 series iPhone and have AppleCare+, we will be getting a battery change before the 2 year AppleCare+ expires.

quietkaos

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2019
Petaluma, California
Launch day 12 Pro. 260 charge cycles and 93.7% battery health. Side note - my iPhone tends to overheat often when using maps for navigation. Anyone else experience over heating?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Launch day 12 Pro. 260 charge cycles and 93.7% battery health. Side note - my iPhone tends to overheat often when using maps for navigation. Anyone else experience over heating?

I deliver mail, and this week my phone has overheated to the point I had to put it in my cooler to cool it down. I’ve never had an iPhone do that.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
Launch day 12 Pro. Cycle count 205. Battery Health 90%. Use MagSafe charger pretty much every night so guessing this is what is degrading it so much.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
C9EF51BB-4977-423B-ABFA-DACEBF0FFCDD.png

94% battery life. Would apple replace it before warranty expires?

rockti

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
Freshly made account extra for this here. I bought a 12 mini end of december. I dont really use it that much in my daily life. I still somehow managed to get 207 cycles.

However. Until august It was at 98% battery health. Now within a few weeks it came down to 95%. Today I looked again and it went down to 94%. I also don't use magsafe.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I got my 12 Pro on launch day and am at 90% battery life. That seems crazy to me. I’ve never had a phone decrease so quickly. The only difference between this and my prior phones is that I do frequently use the MagSafe charger. But that’s what it’s for, right?

Anyone else in the same boat?
I do have Apple Care so will be looking for a new battery at 80%
iPhone 12 from launch day, I am at 89%. Previous phones were 99-100% after a year. I think culprit for me might be 5G. Battery started going down after ATT upgraded our plan to 5G. I am upgrading to 13 Pro Max(BTW first Pro phone for me lol) so I hope that new radios/modems/chips will resolve issues. My brother has whatever newest/best Samsung galaxy that came out this spring and he is having similar issues with battery life after plan was upgraded to 5G.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
October 2020 iPhone 12 Pro 89%. Battery dies stupid fast and gets extremely hot. I am on iOS 15 RC.

joedan76

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
Launch day..

iPhone 12 x 2 - 88% and 90%
iPhone 12 Pro Max - 94%. Edit: 93% now

iPhone XR - 89%
Xr is approx 2 years old

Last edited:

gower2352

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
iPhone 12 PM 128GB got in mid-October, 88% and 417 charge cycles. Contacted Apple as I usually am only at like 95-97 at trade in time who said the following…

“I just checked the result and I see that your battery is still in good health and it doesn’t need to be replaced. Take into account that a battery replacement is needed just if the battery health is under 80%, as you are facing battery issues, I’m going to send you some advice to optimize your battery life, ok? In order to maximize the battery life and performance, please never charge the battery to 100% and never let it drain to 0%. Also avoid charging or leaving the device in hot environments, including direct sun exposure, for extended periods of time. Also reducing the Brightness could help and you can check if the apps are consuming the battery on the background. This link has more recommendations or tips that you can review. If battery health decrease under 80% then we ca look for service options in order to replace battery”

kbc28

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
I use it a lot but doesn't mean battery should die ridiculously fast. If it's at 100% 9AM. It is dead at about 6PM. Battery is 87% with about 369 on its cycle count.

I am thinking of going iPhone 13 Pro Max but I will wait for the battery reviews before hitting pre-order.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
iPhone 12 PM 128GB got in mid-October, 88% and 417 charge cycles. Contacted Apple as I usually am only at like 95-97 at trade in time who said the following…

“I just checked the result and I see that your battery is still in good health and it doesn’t need to be replaced. Take into account that a battery replacement is needed just if the battery health is under 80%, as you are facing battery issues, I’m going to send you some advice to optimize your battery life, ok? In order to maximize the battery life and performance, please never charge the battery to 100% and never let it drain to 0%. Also avoid charging or leaving the device in hot environments, including direct sun exposure, for extended periods of time. Also reducing the Brightness could help and you can check if the apps are consuming the battery on the background. This link has more recommendations or tips that you can review. If battery health decrease under 80% then we ca look for service options in order to replace battery”

While I know we are all as of yet above the 80% Apple considers “normal”, these fairly similar results across the board are pretty disappointing given the age of the devices, as is their canned response given the cost of these iPhones.

That being said, I have the iPhone 13 Pro preparing to ship as I type this. I guess it’s time to admit I have a problem, which is the first step to recovery

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
While I know we are all as of yet above the 80% Apple considers “normal”, these fairly similar results across the board are pretty disappointing given the age of the devices, as is their canned response given the cost of these iPhones.

That being said, I have the iPhone 13 Pro preparing to ship as I type this. I guess it’s time to admit I have a problem, which is the first step to recovery
It’s very disappointing. And it’s not just a number for me. I can’t make it through the day without recharging. I listen to a podcast when I go for my 1.5 hour walk and my phone will go from 100% to 40%. Just ridiculous!

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
There is an entire thread about this train wreck of a battery for our 12's (29 pages of it.)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-12-pro-battery-health.2285325/page-29

Many have the same problem...but some have no issues at all...still showing 100%, even a bit higher on Coconut app. It's like some dumb battery lottery. Battery maker Desay from what I can see is the worse of the 3 - Sunwoda and Huapu are the other battery makers. But even those makers, the degrade is far faster than any previous iPhone I've owned.

And some have had their batteries replaced already - even though it shows about this silly 80% health, many have not.

Mine started drained in Feb., short of 3 months owning it, draining 1-2% every 5-8 days. 103 cycles, it's been holding at 83% health for the past 2 weeks now. (It held at 84% for 3 1/2 week)

Going back 13 months - this story was posted...

Yeah, in my opinion that seems to be the case.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Dec 2020 12 Pro Max still 100%, I feel like it's not really accurate.

90% of the time magsafe charge to 100%. Charge every 1-1.5 days on average.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
My iPhone 12 Pro battery health has slipped to 94% after my initial purchase last fall. I have noticed I'm not getting through the day without having to charge it with fairly light use. My wife's iPhone 11 Pro still at 100% battery health and my son's iPhone 12 at 100%. Anything to be concerned about? Thanks
You gotta upgrade to the 13pro max now

Reactions: gower2352
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.