Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puzzleheaded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
Hello, my iPhone seems to have a strange problem with the keyboard and lock sounds, it will stay quiet until I start typing then it gets loud.
It’s so frustrating, I tried force restart and resetting but it didn’t help with this issue.
Did anyone have a similar issue?

dwasinger

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2020
I have the same issue, thought it was a phone problem and Apple actually sent me a new phone, but this one has the same problem. I reset all settings, reinstalled iOS, reset to factory without using my backup too thinking maybe that was an issue. Has to be a software issue that hopefully gets resolved with the next update. This is with the iPhone 12 Pro.

Nixle

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
Exactly the same issue on iPhone 12, do you guys tried to put a magsafe charger or removing and reput your phone in his magsafe case and tried the lock sound? It sounds like a loud click, play some music and relock it, it will sound normal but the loud click noise will come back only way to fully restore it is too reboot your device.

Last edited:

paulmeyers42

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Exactly the same issue, do you guys tried to put a magsafe charger or removing and reput your phone in his magsafe case and tried the lock sound? It sounds like a loud click, play some music and relock it, it will sound normal but the loud click noise will come back only way to fully restore it is too reboot your device.

Yeah, it started happening after I put it on a MagSafe charger. That seems to be the issue.

Nixle

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
Put the magsafe charger without power and it doesn´t do it, so software related. Just typing in this message with the iPad Air 4 and I get the keyboard sound issue on that device too.

megascott

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2015
Superior, CO
I'm having the same issue, but I've restarted the phone and had it revert to the loud clicking sound without using the MagSafe charger. Haven't been able to reliably figure out what's causing it. I'm just happy to find others with the same issue!

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Having the same issue. My Xs Max does not have this. First I thought this was released to Magsafe cover but it's not. Rr4moved it and booted my iPhone 12 pro and keyboard sound / lock sound keeps fluctuating. Small but annoying problem/bug. Not sure what to do.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Can everyone who own some iPhone 12 model (basic, pro, mini, pro) make a little test?

LOCK SOUND: Does your phone lock sound get louder if you unlock and lock it fast? Try it. Then do the same but lock your device after about 5s. Is your lock sound quieter?

KEYBOARD: Open Notes apps. Type something few rows. Wait about 10s and type again few rows. Does the keyboard's volume get gradually louder?

I would really appreciate if you could make these tests.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I've had my 12 pro max since release day. Only yesterday did my Apple case show up. This is the first time I've ever had anything "mag" attached. After having the case on for about a day, the lock sound started getting chopped. I'm not sure how else to describe it; instead of the full lock sound, I just hear a little tick. I took off the case and rebooted. The lock sound seemed to go back to normal. Then I put back on the case and it's still normal.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Can everyone who own some iPhone 12 model (basic, pro, mini, pro) make a little test?

LOCK SOUND: Does your phone lock sound get louder if you unlock and lock it fast? Try it. Then do the same but lock your device after about 5s. Is your lock sound quieter?

KEYBOARD: Open Notes apps. Type something few rows. Wait about 10s and type again few rows. Does the keyboard's volume get gradually louder?

I would really appreciate if you could make these tests.

I did the keyboard test and I experienced the keyboard volume getting gradually louder as you described. It's harder for me to say whether the lock sound follows the pattern you describe. But, I definitely experience different volumes for that as well.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I did the keyboard test and I experienced the keyboard volume getting gradually louder as you described. It's harder for me to say whether the lock sound follows the pattern you describe. But, I definitely experience different volumes for that as well.
I’m prettt sure many have this problem but they just don’t notice it or they have keyboard sound turned off. I really hope Apple fixes this. Otherwise my iPhone 12 Pro is amazing. Just noticed this keyboard (and other sound stuff) after few days of using because my Xs Max didn’t have these kinds of issues.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I have had issues with lock and keyboard sounds for a few years now... sometimes I don’t have a lock sound and have to check my phone isn’t on silent.

sometimes keyboard clicks are really loud for about 3 click then go quieter, then sometimes I get low keyboard clicks, sometimes quite loud.

I think it has something to do with the phone catching up with what audio is being played or background app refresh still using audio levels from a previously used app... for example from music playing to then stopping the music exiting the app and starting to type something... or watching a YouTube video on low volume then locking your phone etc...

As I say I have had this bug happen for a while and the only way I manage to reduce how often it happens is fully closing apps after I use them.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2017
This issue reaaaalyy needs to be known more and acknowledged by Apple. It’s been happening on my iPhone 11 Pro on every version of iOS. Sometimes it can go away for a solid few weeks without issues, and randomly it will just start blasting this weird half tick loud lock sound. It was actually pretty rare on iOS 14.2 I heard it only once, but after updating to 14.3 it’s been happening a bunch today.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2017
This issue reaaaalyy needs to be known more and acknowledged by Apple. It’s been happening on my iPhone 11 Pro on every version of iOS. Sometimes it can go away for a solid few weeks without issues, and randomly it will just start blasting this weird half tick loud lock sound. It was actually pretty rare on iOS 14.2 I heard it only once, but after updating to 14.3 it’s been happening a bunch today.
Also to add it also happens on my bros iPhone XR. Never had any issues with my old iPhone SE (1st Gen) but I do have another similar bug on my iPad Pro 10.5 the Lock sound stays super quiet no matter what and remains like that.
And don’t even bother looking at the Apple forums... you will get the most ridiculous answers from some of the users claiming it’s either impossible or totally normal.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

What you describe is exactly what I hear. Even when my sounds are soft, so that the normal lock sound is soft, when it malfunctions I get this much louder tick sound. For me though, it is only triggered when I attach a mag safe thing (either my case or the wallet). It always goes away after reboot or sometimes just by itself. Funny that you have the same symptoms on a phone without mag safe.

I could live with it if the volume would be the same as a normal lock sound. But, since it's louder it can be inconvenient.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
This seems to be pretty widespread problem. The big question now is: is this really a software issue or hardware?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
This seems to be pretty widespread problem. The big question now is: is this really a software issue or hardware?

Did you report this to Apple? I have Apple Care; I'm happy to pursue it if you haven't. It's pretty easy to reproduce on my phone since I bought one of the mag safe wallets.

nikolas4129

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2019
I have this issue and I haven't used a magsafe anything. IPhone 12 pro max.
The keyboard click sounds kinda 'rev up' while typing but also 'cool down' quickly as well. Ie if I type a character every 2 seconds the click sound stays muffled and quiet, it's only when I start to type normally that the clicks get louder and less muffled and sharper until they hit a peak, then this volume/sharpness of sound will decline back down if I stop typing for a few seconds.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
We might have to keep the two symptoms separate since they could be different problems. One symptom is the variable volume while typing. The other symptom is the loud tick sound when locking the phone (a seeming glitch of the normal lock sound).

The variable volume I think I've had for years with my 6s+ (my last phone before the 12). The glitched lock sound never happened on my 6s+ and only happens on my 12 when I use the mag safe connection.

At this point, only the lock sound is a problem for me because it's loud. If I take on one of the issues with Apple Care, it will be this one.

jwzimm

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2017
I have had the same issues since I got my 12 Pro. Of note, I do not have a magsafe charger at all. I do have the Apple leather sleeve that I store the phone in but it is (obviously) not in use when I am typing and experiencing the increasing volume clicks. I have also noted that the lock sound seems to be unpredictable but haven't tried to corellate it to the typing sounds.

To me this seems like a failure in the "attention aware" function (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208245). It is almost like it is acting in the opposite manner as how that function is supposed to work in that it is actually RAISING the volume when you are looking at the screen rather than lowering it.

nikolas4129

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2019
I have had the same issues since I got my 12 Pro. Of note, I do not have a magsafe charger at all. I do have the Apple leather sleeve that I store the phone in but it is (obviously) not in use when I am typing and experiencing the increasing volume clicks. I have also noted that the lock sound seems to be unpredictable but haven't tried to corellate it to the typing sounds.

To me this seems like a failure in the "attention aware" function (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208245). It is almost like it is acting in the opposite manner as how that function is supposed to work in that it is actually RAISING the volume when you are looking at the screen rather than lowering iFor

To me this seems like a failure in the "attention aware" function (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208245). It is almost like it is acting in the opposite manner as how that function is supposed to work in that it is actually RAISING the volume when you are looking at the screen rather than lowering it.
For me I also have the lock screen sound increase as well as the typing.
It feels on par with the typing, ie the first lock sound after not doing anything for 5 seconds is muffled and quieter. If I unlock/lock again quickly I get a medium click, and by the third rapid cycle I get the loud sharp&loud click. Then if I leave the phone alone for 5 seconds and lock/unlock it'll give me a more muted sound again.
For my phone I've determined that these system sounds all 'rev up and rev down' as described, very repeatable.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Hey all, I want to share a discovery I made relating to the lock sound glitch. Laying it all out:

1 - I hadn't used my mag wallet for a whole week. The lock sound had been perfect at all volumes for quite some time.

2 - I used my wallet yesterday. After removing the wallet the lock sound was malfunctioning. The tick sound was back, rather than the full lock sound.

3 - I played with the volume settings. What I found was that at a maximum volume setting the lock sound was normal. Lowering the volume control did not control the volume of the lock sound, only its duration, so that when I had the ringer volume set to minimum, I heard the shortest sound (just a tick), but at full volume.

4 - I used the physical switch on the side to put the phone in silence mode. Then I put it back to normal mode. That fixed the problem. The volume setting once again only affected the volume of the lock sound, not its duration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.