Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hillstones

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Easiest solution is to turn off the annoying lock sound and keyboard click sounds. I have always disabled those sounds because they are annoying. No one needs to hear the padlock sound because everyone knows when you put the phone to sleep, it is locked. The keyboard clicks are even more annoying because no one needs to hear constant clicking sounds as you type. You don't need sound effects when you type.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I did turn off my lock sound because I didn't enjoy hearing the loud tick.

I don't understand your point though. No one "needs" most of what the phone offers but still enjoys those things. Are you just saying that you don't find that feedback adds to your enjoyment of the phone? The lock sound did give me enjoyment and I miss it.

Turning off the sounds is not a solution; it's a workaround and a compromise. I would be so pissed if Apple said "We've solved it. Just turn off the sounds".

Hillstones

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I did turn off my lock sound because I didn't enjoy hearing the loud tick.

I don't understand your point though. No one "needs" most of what the phone offers but still enjoys those things. Are you just saying that you don't find that feedback adds to your enjoyment of the phone? The lock sound did give me enjoyment and I miss it.

Turning off the sounds is not a solution; it's a workaround and a compromise. I would be so pissed if Apple said "We've solved it. Just turn off the sounds".
Sorry you can’t understand my comment. Point is that 99% of users turn off the feature of keyboard clicks because it is annoying to hear tap tap tap tap tap tap tap as you type. So the majority are not affected by this. Sure Apple can fix it but posting here doesn’t do any good because Apple doesn’t read forums. Turn off the feature until Apple fixes it. Then turn it back on so you can annoy everyone around you when they fix it. If you are listening to music on your phone do you want to hear keyboard clicks? No one does. Most people disable a lot of features on the phone because they are more of an inconvenience or cause battery drain (like all the motion settings).

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
How do you know 99% of users turn off those sounds?

Since you said that "No one needs to hear..." in your earlier post, how do you know that I don't need those sounds?

Cali Al

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2021
I've been getting this since I got mag safe as well... Powering off and on stops it, but weird none of the last updates have fixed this. There seems to be glitching between ringer volume/sound volume. It's irritating and I hope this gets addressed soon! The 12 Pro is awesome otherwise, but this is a nagging bug. ANyone have new info on this?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Funny you should post just now. I was also going to post what I've seen recently.

I've had my lock sound turned off for quite a while because the loud tick sound was annoying. Recently I turned it back on. Even though I've attached and detached my wallet repeatedly, the sound glitch has not reoccurred. Until your post, I had thought some recent update fixed the problem. I'll certainly report in if it comes back.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Sorry to necro an old thread but this is definitely still present in iOS 14.5 and arguably quite noticeably so — at least on this iPhone 11 Pro Max I’m still using. The typing volume gets progressively louder while typing, with occasional very loud clicks. The lock sound also increases in volume over time noticeably. I’ve resorted to disabling both of them entirely.

Teemuhyn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
Sorry to necro an old thread but this is definitely still present in iOS 14.5 and arguably quite noticeably so — at least on this iPhone 11 Pro Max I’m still using. The typing volume gets progressively louder while typing, with occasional very loud clicks. The lock sound also increases in volume over time noticeably. I’ve resorted to disabling both of them entirely.
I'm really starting to think this got something to do with the hardware. I also still have this these issues after many updates. I've also disabled keyboard and lock sounds.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Same here , it’s really annoying and very glitchy, especially when typing in safari etc… don’t think this will ever get fixed tbh

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I've had this issue for months, typing clicks start out very loud then go down to normal volume. I've never used magsafe and it happens on my 8+ too so I think it's more of an iOS 14 issue. It only seems to happen when I wake my phone and start typing right away though, if it's already on and then I start typing, volume is normal.

Zabuza

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
hello all, somebody still have this problem? please reply, i have a iphone 12 with the exactly same problem and it s so ****ING annoying. this make me to trow my phone on the window or smash it on the wall!

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
hello all, somebody still have this problem? please reply, i have a iphone 12 with the exactly the same problem and it s so ****ING annoying. this make me to trow my phone on the window or smash on the wall!
Yeah and keyboard lag too, it’s been an issue since iOS 14 on certain websites, and happens here quite regular too…

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
hello all, somebody still have this problem? please reply, i have a iphone 12 with the exactly same problem and it s so ****ING annoying. this make me to trow my phone on the window or smash it on the wall!
I’ve noticed when searching in the App Store it happens when a video ad plays with no sound… so I think iOS has a hard time distinguishing between volume on media and keyboard volume… so it’s quite possible that what’s causing it is when a video ad is playing on a website with no sound.

That’s what I have found anyway

Zabuza

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
I’ve noticed when searching in the App Store it happens when a video ad plays with no sound… so I think iOS has a hard time distinguishing between volume on media and keyboard volume… so it’s quite possible that what’s causing it is when a video ad is playing on a website with no sound.

That’s what I have found anyway
i have this problem constant. no matter if a video playing while i typing. it's happened anyway. including notifications and lock screen too. sound increase if I repeat the process quickly

RetroFizz

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2022
I know this is a very old thread, but I recently got an iPhone 12, and I have this exact same problem. Thing is, I don't think this is just a keyboard or notification problem. It does the exact same thing if you go on youtube and play for example a video with iPhone keyboard typing sound, lock sound or app store download sound. So it's either a software problem on every single iPhone 12 that Apple never fixed, or a hardware problem some of us have, or just the way the speaker is manufactured that has a lower volume when "waking up". Also, I never seen anyone with iPhone 13 complaining about it, so it kinda comforts me with the 3rd theory, just how the speaker is built on iPhone 12. What do you guys think ? (sorry for my bad english btw)

Laurendougan29_

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
I know this is a very old thread, but I recently got an iPhone 12, and I have this exact same problem. Thing is, I don't think this is just a keyboard or notification problem. It does the exact same thing if you go on youtube and play for example a video with iPhone keyboard typing sound, lock sound or app store download sound. So it's either a software problem on every single iPhone 12 that Apple never fixed, or a hardware problem some of us have, or just the way the speaker is manufactured that has a lower volume when "waking up". Also, I never seen anyone with iPhone 13 complaining about it, so it kinda comforts me with the 3rd theory, just how the speaker is built on iPhone 12. What do you guys think ? (sorry for my bad english btw)
I have a 14 pro with the same problem so I think I’m more inclined towards it being a software issue (my 12 pro had it too) and I’m pretty sure I’ve used a friend’s phone which was the same. Turning off the keyboard sounds for 10 seconds then back on seems to have calmed the harshness down.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I have a 14 pro with the same problem so I think I’m more inclined towards it being a software issue (my 12 pro had it too) and I’m pretty sure I’ve used a friend’s phone which was the same. Turning off the keyboard sounds for 10 seconds then back on seems to have calmed the harshness down.
Happens all the time on my iPhone 14 Pro Max, it software related however it must be towards the bottom of apples to do list

Laurendougan29_

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Happens all the time on my iPhone 14 Pro Max, it software related however it must be towards the bottom of apples to do list
It would appear so!!! As I say the one workaround I found was the keyboard sounds off for 10 seconds and back on, seems to have worked. Hasn’t done it since I did that so far anyways.

Reactions: James Godfrey

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Same issue on iPad. I don’t notice on my iPhones because I am always on silent.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Haha yeah you can 😂😂sound and haptics in your settings
I did, both iPad Minis have no keyboard sounds now 😁… can’t believe I went 7 years with my Mini 4 with the keyboard sound on when I would have preferred to have it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.