Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Hi all,

I’ve found an old 10W iPad charger. Would using that to charge my 12PM reduce wear on the battery over time (and charge very slowly, of course) compared to the 20W?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Well, I always used to charge my iPhone 12 Pro at 18W and it dropped to 95% battery health after a year, and anecdotal evidence from others claiming 100% after the same amount of time seems to be based on slower charging. Might as well try it, I guess, as it won't harm the battery, right?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
use the phone, don't worry about the battery. if it gets used just pay apple for a battery swap. You purchased the phone to use and enjoy not worry about batteries.
Oh, sure, it's not something that worries me, but I sell every year, so I just want to keep it as close to 100% as possible for resale value.

Reactions: VSMacOne

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
use the phone, don't worry about the battery. if it gets used just pay apple for a battery swap. You purchased the phone to use and enjoy not worry about batteries.
This is the answer. If you think you can micromanage the battery better than a team of the world' top engineers + a microcontroller that manages every aspect for you... good luck. Just use the phone, don't obsess over tying to control every little detail. Trust me, it will help your mental health.

Just charge with whatever you have that is fast enough for your needs.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
This is the answer. If you think you can micromanage the battery better than a team of the world' top engineers + a microcontroller that manages every aspect for you... good luck. Just use the phone, don't obsess over tying to control every little detail. Trust me, it will help your mental health.

Just charge with whatever you have that is fast enough for your needs.

I guess you didn't read my last post, but thanks for your wisdom.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I guess you didn't read my last post, but thanks for your wisdom.
I read your post. I think you are just overthinking it. all things being equal it is best to charge with whatever charger has lowest wattage. However, you don’t need to be anxious about using the 20w charger they designed the phone around.

Reactions: BlackHawk00 and HEK

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I dont think any of this matters unless you are keeping the phone for years or you dont have AppleCare.

afonsomduarte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Portugal
I mostly used my MacBook Pro 15” charger for my previous iPhone X and it still has 92% battery health after 3 years so I don’t think it makes much of a difference.

However, I did make sure to keep it mostly between 20-80% as best as I could so that probably helped.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Well, I always used to charge my iPhone 12 Pro at 18W and it dropped to 95% battery health after a year, and anecdotal evidence from others claiming 100% after the same amount of time seems to be based on slower charging. Might as well try it, I guess, as it won't harm the battery, right?

Same and 95% health isn’t bad.

With the 12 I use the 20w charger as my only and daily charging.

Why? Because why would Apple include a USB-C cable in the box? Plus talking to tech support at the Apple store said it’s perfectly ok to use the 20w as your daily and only charging.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Hi all,

I’ve found an old 10W iPad charger. Would using that to charge my 12PM reduce wear on the battery over time (and charge very slowly, of course) compared to the 20W?

The secret to keeping 100% is charge time and pattern. If you only charge as long as it takes to reach 100 and do it once a day your battery will remain at 100 for over a year mine always do.

I always wake up at 4 am and always have. Go right back to bed no issues. So I plug my devices in at 4 and then by 6 or 6:30 they are charged and I unplug.

If you do this then I believe the 18 or 20 watt will do a better job.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
The secret to keeping 100% is charge time and pattern. If you only charge as long as it takes to reach 100 and do it once a day your battery will remain at 100 for over a year mine always do.

I always wake up at 4 am and always have. Go right back to bed no issues. So I plug my devices in at 4 and then by 6 or 6:30 they are charged and I unplug.

That’s if your battery lasts from 6:00 - 6:30am until you go to bed / 4:00 am the next day.

If you go to bed at 8:00 pm, your battery lasts from 6:00 - 6:30 am to 8:00 PM?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
I read your post. I think you are just overthinking it. all things being equal it is best to charge with whatever charger has lowest wattage. However, you don’t need to be anxious about using the 20w charger they designed the phone around.
As said, I’m in no way anxious about it. It’s just a question that I was looking for an answer to.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008

That’s how I charged my 11 Pro, though – it was rarely on the charger past 100%.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Same and 95% health isn’t bad.

With the 12 I use the 20w charger as my only and daily charging.

Why? Because why would Apple include a USB-C cable in the box? Plus talking to tech support at the Apple store said it’s perfectly ok to use the 20w as your daily and only charging.
Yep, all makes sense. I’m not wondering if it’s ‘bad’ to use the 20W – obviously it isn’t. I’m just wondering if the stuff I’ve read about slower charging being better for longevity. :)

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Yep, all makes sense. I’m not wondering if it’s ‘bad’ to use the 20W – obviously it isn’t. I’m just wondering if the stuff I’ve read about slower charging being better for longevity. :)

The longevity is minor. If you’re at 95% after a year that’s pretty good.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I don't think I've read any conclusive studies on the matter (not saying they don't exist, I've just not seen them). The general consensus seems to be the phone will handle ramping down the power appropriately after 50%... and that how often and when you charge (cycles) has a greater effect on battery health. For example, someone who only charges once a day will end the year with 365 cycles, whereas someone who charges twice a day obviously doubles that. Also there may be considerations of how "low" you let the charge get etc... not an easy topic for sure.

Edit: interesting article here: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Definitely it seems that how deeply you let the battery discharge before recharging it / how many cycles of this is the biggest factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSMacOne and SBruv

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I mostly used my MacBook Pro 15” charger for my previous iPhone X and it still has 92% battery health after 3 years so I don’t think it makes much of a difference.

However, I did make sure to keep it mostly between 20-80% as best as I could so that probably helped.

Similar experience !

To extend battery life the best is to have the iPhone OFF at night or at least in airplane mode (and no wifi).

Less use for a third of the day (8h) equals another year of good battery life (extending from 2 to 3 years or from 4 to 5 years

Reactions: afonsomduarte

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Similar experience !

To extend battery life the best is to have the iPhone OFF at night or at least in airplane mode (and no wifi).

Less use for a third of the day (8h) equals another year of good battery life (extending from 2 to 3 years or from 4 to 5 years
This is just plain dangerous misinformation, turning your iPhone off every night is very bad for your battery, just keep it between 20 and 80% most of the time (so enable optimized charging) and you'll be fine.

Reactions: SBruv

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
This is just plain dangerous misinformation, turning your iPhone off every night is very bad for your battery, just keep it between 20 and 80% most of the time (so enable optimized charging) and you'll be fine.

Right just a enjoy you’re iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.