Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
This is just plain dangerous misinformation, turning your iPhone off every night is very bad for your battery, just keep it between 20 and 80% most of the time (so enable optimized charging) and you'll be fine.

It’s my experience.

But if you have a good source for your statement “is very bad for your battery” let’s see it. Don’t pull a Giuliani on us.

Reactions: HEK

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Why would anyone turn off their iPhone or airplane mode on during the night while they sleep ? What if theres a family emergency.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
It’s my experience.

But if you have a good source for your statement “is very bad for your battery” let’s see it. Don’t pull a Giuliani on us.
Because the whole point is to not put unnecessary strain on a lithium-ion battery, turning your iphone on and off is unnecessary strain. Also and more importantly you want the electrodes to be active and not be inactive like when your phone is off, which degrades the battery. So just keep it between 20 and 80% for as long as possible during it's lifespan and you'll keep the battery in the best state possible. And this is not my experience but actual scientific substantiated information.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Because the whole point is to not put unnecessary strain on a lithium-ion battery, turning your iphone on and off is unnecessary strain. Also and more importantly you want the electrodes to be active and not be inactive like when your phone is off, which degrades the battery. So just keep it between 20 and 80% for as long as possible during it's lifespan and you'll keep the battery in the best state possible. And this is not my experience but actual scientific substantiated information.

Why not charge it to 100% when your down to 30 - 40%? That’s what I usually do. About an hour before I leave work I’m usually at 30 - 40% then charge with a 20w. By the time I leave I’m usually at 95 - 100%

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
In theory, yes. There are a lot of factors that go into battery health and pinning them solely on charging method is more difficult.

Just use the phone and do not worry about it. If the battery depletes—and it will eventually—just have it replaced. Most people replace their phones before they keep them long enough to replace the battery.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
In theory, yes. There are a lot of factors that go into battery health and pinning them solely on charging method is more difficult.

Just use the phone and do not worry about it. If the battery depletes—and it will eventually—just have it replaced. Most people replace their phones before they keep them long enough to replace the battery.

True if you don’t have Apple Care the cost is like $70 anyway.

Reactions: internetrando

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I use the slow 5W charger. I charge overnight with optimized charging turned on and thats good enough for me right now.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
My 2+ year old XS Max currently shows 99% of original battery capacity health. I been charging it mostly with an older 15w ipad charger, ~ 30min through Apple CarPlay daily driving, and occasionally Belkin wireless charging. The XS Max heats up from wireless charging, so I don’t use it much.

I think the key to my success with the good battery condition is rarely letting the battery level drop below 50%. Usually I charge it from 60% to %95 Occasionally on busy days it might dip to %30.

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
Why would anyone turn off their iPhone or airplane mode on during the night while they sleep ? What if theres a family emergency.
Lol I usually put mine in silent mode or DND, too. The only calls I get in the middle of the night are from drunks dialing the wrong number. I can still set it up to allow calls from family or certain friends.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
My 2+ year old XS Max currently shows 99% of original battery capacity health. I been charging it mostly with an older 15w ipad charger, ~ 30min through Apple CarPlay daily driving, and occasionally Belkin wireless charging. The XS Max heats up from wireless charging, so I don’t use it much.

I think the key to my success with the good battery condition is rarely letting the battery level drop below 50%. Usually I charge it from 60% to %95 Occasionally on busy days it might dip to %30.

I just charge my phone when it needs it usually not below 20-25%. I use an Apple 20w and it charges from 20-25% to 80% in like 45 minutes.

I don’t concern myself with battery health. I just charge when it needs it.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

Just charge your phone when it needs it. With the new Apple 20w USB-C charging is better. Can charge your phone from 20% to 80% in like 45 minutes. I woke up this morning and after playing with my phone I had 35% battery. Took a shower and about a 1/2 hour my phone was at 81%.

For my usage I usually have to charge my phone around 60-65% 2x a day. So that’s like I’m using 1.3 battery per day. I’m mostly on cellular data at work for 8 hours and I have a job that I have lots of downtime so I’m using it heavy. At around 12:30pm I’m usually at 20-35% battery and charge for about an hour with 20w and I’m usually at 90%+ then leave work to go home. That usually gets me through the next morning because I’m on WiFi mostly then charge from around 35% to 90%+ then leave for work.

For my usage can’t get a through a whole day with the 12 but that’s ok because I’m a medium high - heavy user anyway.

When I had my SE2 I had to charge 3-4x a day but not on the quick charge like it is now. If I was at 20-35% with the SE2 at work I would have to charge the phone much much earlier than now before I left work to go home.

Apple 20w USB-C combo rocks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.