Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Not to sound callous, but is this really a deal breaker though? In what scenarios is this actually a problem?
Yea I agree it’s not a big problem but people are telling me it’s broken. Don’t want to pay 1200 for a broken phone.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Okay guys I just ordered another 12 pro max. It’ll be here tomorrow. I’ll tell you if it’s the same. If it isn’t I’ll keep the new one; if not I’ll return it. If it is the same, then I’m going to assume this is how these phones work, at least with my glasses and eyes.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Yea I agree it’s not a big problem but people are telling me it’s broken. Don’t want to pay 1200 for a broken phone.

I have the philosophy that if you try hard enough to find a problem with something, you will always succeed. So if it's a problem that you have to go out of your way to experience and it doesn't actually affect your use of the device in any way, I would say that it's not a problem at all.

But it's your money and your choice, so do what you need to do to be happy with your purchase.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I have the philosophy that if you try hard enough to find a problem with something, you will always succeed. So if it's a problem that you have to go out of your way to experience and it doesn't actually affect your use of the device in any way, I would say that it's not a problem at all.

But it's your money and your choice, so do what you need to do to be happy with your purchase.
I think that’s a good philosophy. But it’s easy to order another phone and return the worst one. And this way we’ll all learn something—whether faceID requires eyes to be open if glasses are on or not.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I would restore your current phone and setup as new just to make sure it's not a software bug. You could of gotten some corruption in the update that only your device is experiencing. Not using your backup is a way to eliminate any issues that may of made it into there too. If FaceID still acts up, you can always restore using your backup and you'll be back where your at now..

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I would restore your current phone and setup as new just to make sure it's not a software bug. You could of gotten some corruption in the update that only your device is experiencing. Not using your backup is a way to eliminate any issues that may of made it into there too. If FaceID still acts up, you can always restore using your backup and you'll be back where your at now..
I could do all that or I could just wait til tomorrow when the new phone comes and see if it’s any different. Then simply return one of them for a refund. See how that’s easier?

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
12 Pro Max...phone will not unlock unless my eyes are open, glasses or not.
Interesting that my otherwise perfectly working phone seems to work differently.

I wonder what’s wrong with it?

Anyway, we’ll see tomorrow whether the new one is any different. My bet is it’ll be the same.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I do have a 12PM but I won’t try combinations of glasses/no glasses eyes open/eyes closed because I’m just happy Face ID exists! Never have I found Touch ID - on any device - to be anything but a total pain in the posterior.

When the OP’s new phone arrives, and supposing it fails his test, does he then abandon the 12PM experience?

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I do have a 12PM but I won’t try combinations of glasses/no glasses eyes open/eyes closed because I’m just happy Face ID exists! Never have I found Touch ID - on any device - to be anything but a total pain in the posterior.

When the OP’s new phone arrives, and supposing it fails his test, does he then abandon the 12PM experience?
I don’t think I’ll abandon the 12PM. I like the phone a lot. People on here just have me thinking something is wrong. So going to test it. If the next is the same, I’ll assume this is just how they work—although I’ll call BS in the attention feature!

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Not sure if this will help, when you setup Face ID on the new phone, try it without glasses. Afterwards I have no issues trying to unlock wearing aviator style sunglasses, or a different pair with UV lenses and my reading ones, which I never wear.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Okay guys, I got the new phone this morning and set it up fast to check the faceID. It has the same behavior. If my glasses are off it will not unlock with my eyes closed. With my glasses on it will. I think perhaps faceID can’t see through my glasses very well so it bypasses that feature to ensure usability.

I can’t explain for sure why others on here are having a different experience. But I’ve tested two phones now. If someone were to put glasses on you while you’re sleeping they could probably unlock your phone. Is that a major security issue? Probably not. But it’s worth people knowing I guess, because Apple is not at all clear that this is how it works.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Put your glasses on and try a few times. Mine doesn’t always do it.

Anyone with a 12 want to try? I want to get to the bottom of this.
I’ve worn glasses my whole life - prescription. I’ve had every Face ID iPhone and not once have they ever unlocked without my eyes open. It does not happen on my 12 either.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I’ve worn glasses my whole life - prescription. I’ve had every Face ID iPhone and not once have they ever unlocked without my eyes open. It does not happen on my 12 either.
Well, that’s nice for you. I’ve gone through two phones now that both unlock with my eyes closed if I have glasses on. Are you claiming they are both broken in this exact same way?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
This is what I do. I close my eyes and then hold the phone up to my face and trigger faceID. I then turn the phone sideways and after that open my eyes to see if it’s unlocked. It unlocks with my eyes closed all the time if I have my glasses on.

You can simply BARELY open your eyes (basically peeking through your eyelashes) to see if it's unlocked or not. Just tried this with my 12 Pro and it does NOT detect my eyes when I'm "squinting" hard like that to "peek."

The angle that FaceID works at is pretty generous. Just tried, and even holding it sideways at about a 20 degree tilt towards my face unlocks the phone, so are you sure you're holding the phone exactly 90 degrees in relation to the ground when you're "checking" it and not angling your face towards it?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Okay guys, I got the new phone this morning and set it up fast to check the faceID. It has the same behavior. If my glasses are off it will not unlock with my eyes closed. With my glasses on it will. I think perhaps faceID can’t see through my glasses very well so it bypasses that feature to ensure usability.

I can’t explain for sure why others on here are having a different experience. But I’ve tested two phones now. If someone were to put glasses on you while you’re sleeping they could probably unlock your phone. Is that a major security issue? Probably not. But it’s worth people knowing I guess, because Apple is not at all clear that this is how it works.
iPhone 12 here.

Just tried this with no glasses, my normal slim frameless glasses, and large ray ban aviators.

Regardless. Every time it will not unlock with my eyes closed.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
iPhone 12 here.

Just tried this with no glasses, my normal slim frameless glasses, and large ray ban aviators.

Regardless. Every time it will not unlock with my eyes closed.
Well the two phones (12 pro max) I have both behave the exact same way. They will unlock with eyes closed if glasses are on.

I don’t think I want to order a third phone. Lol! I’m sure it’ll be the same.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
You can simply BARELY open your eyes (basically peeking through your eyelashes) to see if it's unlocked or not. Just tried this with my 12 Pro and it does NOT detect my eyes when I'm "squinting" hard like that to "peek."

The angle that FaceID works at is pretty generous. Just tried, and even holding it sideways at about a 20 degree tilt towards my face unlocks the phone, so are you sure you're holding the phone exactly 90 degrees in relation to the ground when you're "checking" it and not angling your face towards it?
I turn the phone 90 degrees or more before opening my eyes. Just tested by turning it over 90 degrees to the point where I could barely even make out the lock. Same result on both phones—they unlock!

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I turn the phone 90 degrees or more before opening my eyes. Just tested by turning it over 90 degrees to the point where I could barely even make out the lock. Same result on both phones—they unlock!

Then, assuming you're testing this the exact same way without glasses, I don't what else to tell you. Just doesn't make any sense. Have you tested this in the dark as well or at least in various lighting conditions?

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Have you tried putting on other glasses just as a test. Because if nobody has this issue, just you, then it must be the glasses.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Then, assuming you're testing this the exact same way without glasses, I don't what else to tell you. Just doesn't make any sense. Have you tested this in the dark as well or at least in various lighting conditions?
Yes I test the same way. Just tried in the dark. Same behavior.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I’d maybe go to a Genius Bar. Or get Somebody to record you doing it and sending to Apple.

Im sure they’d be interested to know if you’ve found A new albeit rare flaw.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I’d maybe go to a Genius Bar. Or get Somebody to record you doing it and sending to Apple.

Im sure they’d be interested to know if you’ve found A new albeit rare flaw.
With the COVID restrictions the Apple store is a pain right now.

Flaw doesn’t seem so rare if it’s in both the phones I’ve ordered.

In fact, I’m not convinced you all aren’t messing with me. Lol

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I looked up the serial numbers for the two phones. They were made the same day but at different factories—my original was made in the US/Canada and the new one in China.

So if they are both broken then the same flaw occurred at two different factories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.