Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I wanted to make sure my phone wasn’t broken. People were telling me it was broken cause they couldn’t believe FaceID isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

I think you did what was reasonable. The person who criticized you has the name "Givmeabrek". His job is to troll and say "Give me a break". Better to ignore.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I think you did what was reasonable. The person who criticized you has the name "Givmeabrek". His job is to troll and say "Give me a break". Better to ignore.
Not true. It was an honest response. I didn't understand replacing the phone so many times when it has been well documented how imperfect face ID is.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Here with 12 pro max, glasses on, eyes closed no unlocks, same without glasses.
Mine unlocks with Face mask on (even if I'm not wearing the Apple Watch), sunglasses on or off, or eyes closed....I did reset my face id, still the same issue.

I would like to test this with my brother, I'm kinda of wondering if my phone will unlock with HIS face, face mask on. ??‍♂️??‍♂️

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Not true. It was an honest response. I didn't understand replacing the phone so many times when it has been well documented hw imperfect face ID is.
OK. I apologize.

I guess we all develop our own opinion over time after reading about various experiences. I've come away with solid confidence in Face ID. And, I expect it only gets better over time. I tend to be skeptical when I hear about trivial failures.

This thread is not about Face ID in general. It's only about a small piece of it; attention awareness. It's failing in an astonishing way for the OP. Remember that another poster suggested to the OP that they had had two defective phones in a row. The OP just followed through the close the door on that argument.

It's a shame that Apple's first-tier support is so scripted. They would never be able to help. Even if the OP could get to engineering, the only benefit would be to Apple, adding more data points for their AI. It's unlikely that a fix would be released in the near term.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
I didn’t feel like dealing with Apple support. That’s just more of my time down the drain. Apple makes returns and refunds easy. So I tried 3 phones so I could be sure that this is just how these phones work, at least for my face. Someone even suggested both of the 2 phones I had previously ordered were broken. I wanted to put that line of thinking to rest. If Apple doesn’t want me going through multiple phones, they shouldn’t tell me faceID works one way when it doesn’t, at least not all the time for everyone. I’m sure Apple knows this by now but stays silent.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Mine unlocks with Face mask on (even if I'm not wearing the Apple Watch), sunglasses on or off, or eyes closed....I did reset my face id, still the same issue.

I would like to test this with my brother, I'm kinda of wondering if my phone will unlock with HIS face, face mask on. ??‍♂️??‍♂️
Yes you should. My experience is that it’s just the attention awareness feature that doesn’t work properly. It’s never unlocked with my wife’s face unless I set it up that way.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
My Face ID does not ever unlock with my eyes closed - glasses or not. Not once. I’ve tried multiple times to replicate what you are claiming and it’s not true for me. And others too. So it’s not a widespread issue. It’s something unique to you it seems.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
My Face ID does not ever unlock with my eyes closed - glasses or not. Not once. I’ve tried multiple times to replicate what you are claiming and it’s not true for me. And others too. So it’s not a widespread issue. It’s something unique to you it seems.

The handful of people who have tried on this thread haven't seen it. I wouldn't use that to conclude it's not a widespread issue. I doubt that many of the millions of iPhone users have tried this experiment. I had not tried it until I encountered this thread.

We've had maybe twenty people on this thread saying they can't reproduce the problem. One person on the thread can (the OP). I'm definitely not saying that this implies 5% of the user base has the problem; Apple would have tested way more thoroughly than that, but there's really no way this thread is evidence that it isn't a widespread issue. Actually, I don't even know what qualifies as "widespread". Would .5% qualify? That would be a ton of people and likely missed by this thread.

The OP has a smoking and smokable gun. I'm not disrespecting Apple, they're tackling a hard problem. It's just a shame there's no way to get this information to them. Every failure of their algorithm is an opportunity for improvement.

Foto1

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2022
I am having the same issue. I have a 12 pro max and it keeps opening with my eyes closed. I couldn't
figure out the problem so I disabled it. Any word on a fix?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am having the same issue. I have a 12 pro max and it keeps opening with my eyes closed. I couldn't
figure out the problem so I disabled it. Any word on a fix?
Make sure that you have enabled Require Attention for Face ID.

Foto1

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2022
I do have that enabled. I also tried resetting and re-doing in bright light. But to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.