Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
I’m on a regular 12 but I’ve always had the green tint/flickering issue. It’s gotten a lot better over time in the updates, but never fully resolved. I hesitated to contact Support for the exact reasons of what happened to me.

As soon as I got my advisor in the first Apple Store, he already wrote me off. Ignored everything I said about brightness and the scenarios where this is most apparent and ran tests on an iPad. That’s it. Ran a diagnostic. Didn’t even bother to look at the screen as he was running through the gray-scale wheel.

Second Apple Store took the phone in the back. I described exactly how it happens. I even showed my (admittedly grainy) photos. Surprise: they can’t reproduce the issue. I can’t show it in the middle of a bright store nor can I just go to the back. They decide to ship it off.

It is being “diagnosed” right now. I highly doubt they will replace anything. Just mailed my phone across the country for fun, I guess. What an absolute joke that I, the consumer, know more about common Apple product issues than the Support staff.

Rant over!

fernando7

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2017
Green tint hasn’t returned for me, purple smearing on blacks is a software/oled issue, apple stuffed something up on one of the 14. releases that caused this purple smearing.
Is purple smearing is same on both of your screen (current and the previous one) or it got better with the new screen?
which has no green tint.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
iOS 14.7 and it’s even worse. The first pic is just a pure grey wallpaper and the second is how my iPhone 12 shows it.
That is poor grey uniformity. Also referred to as DSE, dirty screen effect. Not right but not uncommon with OLED's.

To verify use this 5% grey test pattern.

Save it and blow it up full screen. Adjust your iPhones brightness up and down.

No update can fix that its just an OLED thing, the pixel image data on the edges is the same as the middle. Fixing it would require the levels to be crushed to the point +5% gray is the new black which wouldn't work very well for even a Rec.709 color space let alone P3, Rec.2020 or whatever the screens wide color gamut is...

However if you are going to look for a flaw in an OLED (TV, Phone, computer, etc) 5% grey uniformity is the best way. OLED achilles heal if you will. You'll always find some level of clouding, banding, uniformity issue there if you look hard enough.

My iPhone 11 Pro Max has really good uniformity but I can see a bit of banding on the right side. And very minor clouding make the top half of the screen SLIGHTLY brighter than the bottom. Might not even notice it if I wasn't aware of what I was looking for.

I would HIGHLY advice for everyone to NOT display that image on their brand new expensive OLED TV. Good chance you'll see something you wish you didn't, as mentioned earlier...ignorance is bliss.

Here is a bit more info on the topic from rtings.com. Even good OLED TV panels can struggle a bit with this.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
That is poor grey uniformity. Also referred to as DSE, dirty screen effect. Not right but not uncommon with OLED's.

To verify use this 5% grey test pattern.

Save it and blow it up full screen. Adjust your iPhones brightness up and down.

No update can fix that its just an OLED thing, the pixel image data on the edges is the same as the middle. Fixing it would require the levels to be crushed to the point +5% gray is the new black which wouldn't work very well for even a Rec.709 color space let alone P3, Rec.2020 or whatever the screens wide color gamut is...

However if you are going to look for a flaw in an OLED (TV, Phone, computer, etc) 5% grey uniformity is the best way. OLED achilles heal if you will. You'll always find some level of clouding, banding, uniformity issue there if you look hard enough.

My iPhone 11 Pro Max has really good uniformity but I can see a bit of banding on the right side. And very minor clouding make the top half of the screen SLIGHTLY brighter than the bottom. Might not even notice it if I wasn't aware of what I was looking for.

I would HIGHLY advice for everyone to NOT display that image on their brand new expensive OLED TV. Good chance you'll see something you wish you didn't, as mentioned earlier...ignorance is bliss.

Here is a bit more info on the topic from rtings.com. Even good OLED TV panels can struggle a bit with this.

i ran the 5% pic on my launch 12 pro on a Samsung panel I’m happy with. Surprisingly clean. The faintest bands in landscape mode but really have to hunt and know what to look for - did it because honeymoon phase is over

I dare not run this on my Sony 77” I just got the other week :D

but I’ve thrown tons of content at it including movies that have tons of near black scenes and seems really really clean. I got lucky!

Oled is fussy panel lottery but if you get a good one it’s the best!

They're also related but different tech, mobile phone OLED is AMOLED and made by various manufacturers across all brands but in iPhone 12's I think LG and Samsung, tv OLED is WRGB and exclusively made by LG Display.

Last edited:

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Maybe my Apple/FBI agent read my rant because they actually replaced the display and, behold, no more green tint! I can finally enjoy my 12 the way it was meant to be.
Same here, some people have said it came back later on down the track. ? so far so good. ?

Reactions: Bluetoot-

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
Green tint hasn’t returned for me, purple smearing on blacks is a software/oled issue, apple stuffed something up on one of the 14. releases that caused this purple smearing.
same here; no green but I have noticed the purple smearing (especially when switching apps). Not much of a bother but I’m paranoid.

Can’t we just go back to the days when the iPhone 4 and 5 were the best iPhones ever?

Reactions: LFC2020

KillerEngine

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
Does anyone with recently manufactured iPhone 12s still have issues with raised blacks or did they get that finally fixed with the newer displays?

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Is Apple going to fix Raised black issue?
As 13 and 13 pro are still promoting that OLED TRUE BLACK display ?
That’s the million dollar question. At least for me. It’s a very similar display to the newest androids. Take a look at android forums to see what they’ve experienced.

Androids also had an issue with raised blacks and maybe green tint for the same year as the 12.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2014
Has anyone tried this for the yellow hues?

Attachments

• 7B52CFA6-AFEE-4BA4-BF51-2361DC0A61B4.png
    7B52CFA6-AFEE-4BA4-BF51-2361DC0A61B4.png
    683.5 KB · Views: 133

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
That’s the million dollar question. At least for me. It’s a very similar display to the newest androids. Take a look at android forums to see what they’ve experienced.

Androids also had an issue with raised blacks and maybe green tint for the same year as the 12.
Yep. The latest Android Samsung panels aren't too bad. I'm going by my s21u. There is still a very slight element of green tint when pushed at 120hz. It's so small now that it's negligible to be honest. Not like the first and second gen 120hz panels. Or the one used for the OnePlus 8 pro , that was a travesty.

Reactions: upandown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.