Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5x10

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
I have a 12 pm
was gonna upgrade to the 15 pm but looks like the 15 plus has better battery life
not too worried about the 120 hz or additional camera features

think I’m gonna cancel the PM order and just order the plus

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
My wife upgraded her 13 to a 15 and I was surprised by how big of an upgrade it was.

Satellite
Camera
Always on
Titanium
USB C
Brighter screen
Chip
Action button

Pretty big upgrade.

DesertRoads

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
I will likely stick with my 12 Pro for awhile. I did the side by side comparison, and besides a better camera set up, there really isn't a need to upgrade right now. My battery is still good enough, and the hardware upgrades aren't significant enough for me to say, "wow, I need this upgrade NOW". My wife's 12 pro max has been crashing lately, so we will upgrade her to the 15 Pro Max-- if they can fix the overheating issue.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I will likely stick with my 12 Pro for awhile. I did the side by side comparison, and besides a better camera set up, there really isn't a need to upgrade right now. My battery is still good enough, and the hardware upgrades aren't significant enough for me to say, "wow, I need this upgrade NOW". My wife's 12 pro max has been crashing lately, so we will upgrade her to the 15 Pro Max-- if they can fix the overheating issue.
Actually the hardware upgrades are significant enough(at least 15 pro max), I also came from a 12 pro. There is a big difference, And I have no heat issues.

Sounds like you are waiting on a design change, because there are plenty of hardware changes between the 12 and 15. Just look at my post on this thread.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Actually the hardware upgrades are significant enough(at least 15 pro max), I also came from a 12 pro. There is a big difference, And I have no heat issues.

Sounds like you are waiting on a design change, because there are plenty of hardware changes between the 12 and 15. Just look at my post on this thread.
I am in the same boat as the other poster and I am now holding off on the 15 Pro series and sticking with the 12 Pro. While I can see on paper that there are plenty of changes between the generations, for me they are not meaningful enough for every day use to justify the cost and I m not referring to the external design.

Sure the cameras are better, battery has improved and the screen is 120Hz. However, for how I use the iPhone, I am good with the cameras on the 12 Pro, can use an external charger when needed and not concerned about the 60Hz refresh rate. Yes, I changed my mind from thinking for sure I would upgrade from the 12 Pro to 15 Pro.

If nothing else, for people like me this is a testament to just how good iPhones have gotten over the last several years. I totally get it why others decide to upgrade from the 12 Pro to the 15 Pro. All comes down to how meaningful the improvements are to the user.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I am in the same boat as the other poster and I am now holding off on the 15 Pro series and sticking with the 12 Pro. While I can see on paper that there are plenty of changes between the generations, for me they are not meaningful enough for every day use to justify the cost and I m not referring to the external design.

Sure the cameras are better, battery has improved and the screen is 120Hz. However, for how I use the iPhone, I am good with the cameras on the 12 Pro, can use an external charger when needed and not concerned about the 60Hz refresh rate. Yes, I changed my mind from thinking for sure I would upgrade from the 12 Pro to 15 Pro.

If nothing else, for people like me this is a testament to just how good iPhones have gotten over the last several years. I totally get it why others decide to upgrade from the 12 Pro to the 15 Pro. All comes down to how meaningful the improvements are to the user.
What exactly are you holding out for? Do you think the iPhone 16 is going to have some big wow factor? The iPhone hasn't had a wow factor since the X. Remember the 15 was supposed to have haptic buttons and they scrapped that design a couple of months ago due to production issues. If the max wouldn't have had the 5x zoom I probably would have held out too, but I can tell a big difference between the 2 and I'm happy with the purchase.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
What exactly are you holding out for? Do you think the iPhone 16 is going to have some big wow factor? The iPhone hasn't had a wow factor since the X. Remember the 15 was supposed to have haptic buttons and they scrapped that design a couple of months ago due to production issues. If the max wouldn't have had the 5x zoom I probably would have held out too, but I can tell a big difference between the 2 and I'm happy with the purchase.
What am I holding out for? I am holding out for an iPhone that makes me think there is value in the new phone compared to what I have to justify the cost. "Justify" is subjective depending on the person.

If the "regular" 16 pro has a 5x zoom that will likely get me to upgrade - I do not want a Max size phone. Phones to me are kind of like TVs now a days - mature electronics. I do not upgrade my TV every year two simply because they do not change that much anymore year over year.

Everyone has their own view of what makes a new piece of electronics worth it and for me when I hold the 12 Pro in one hand and the 15 Pro in the other, consider the feature and design differences, I just do not see the value for my use case.

As said, it is different for everyone and understand why others have chosen to upgrade to the 15 Pro. Those are my reasons to stick with what I have for now.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
The weight between the two is almost exactly the same (12P = 189 grams, 15P = 187 grams).

I really want to wait another year but not sure what I’ll do. The back glass is cracked on my 12 Pro and I’m a little worried I’ll get some kind of water damage over the next year and I should just upgrade. T-Mobile accepts cracked back with full trade in value. Waiting a bit to see if the heat thing is really an issue.

Otherwise there’s nothing that exciting as far as upgrades IMO. Dynamic Island seems cool but something that will just be “whatever” after the novelty wears off. Always-On and 120hz screen would be nice but also minor.

I think ideally I’d just wait and upgrade to the base 16 (non-pro) next year.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
I've just had to cancel my 15PM - long tedious story - so happy to view the discussion.

I had been curious to have early firsthand experience in 'weighing-up' the difference between that and my 12P and maybe I still am, but I'm content to wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: icemantx

KelVarnsen

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I’ve got a 12 Pro with a small crack across my screen which doesn’t give me an issues. Also have a 79% battery capacity. I was going to upgrade to the 15 Pro since Verizon is offering 830 in upgrade credits. Repairing it would be 279 for the screen and 79 for a battery.

But im tempted to tough it out for another year since I’d rather get the rumored stacked battery and no notch/pill on the 16 screen.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I’ve got a 12 Pro with a small crack across my screen which doesn’t give me an issues. Also have a 79% battery capacity. I was going to upgrade to the 15 Pro since Verizon is offering 830 in upgrade credits. Repairing it would be 279 for the screen and 79 for a battery.

But im tempted to tough it out for another year since I’d rather get the rumored stacked battery and no notch/pill on the 16 screen.

I think there is going to be minimal difference between the 15 and 16. They just introduced dynamic island to all phones so that's not going anywhere for a while. I think the 16 is going to be buttonless, like the 15 was going too be but scrapped a couple of months ago due to production issues, and 5x zoom on all pro models, and your yearly hardware updates. That's about it.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

KelVarnsen

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I think there is going to be minimal difference between the 15 and 16. They just introduced dynamic island to all phones so that's not going anywhere for a while. I think the 16 is going to be buttonless, like the 15 was going too be but scrapped a couple of months ago due to production issues, and 5x zoom on all pro models, and your yearly hardware updates. That's about it.
The zoom and button didn’t excite me too much but the stackable battery greatly expanding the battery life was really appealing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.