Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
I wish I could! There is no option for me to extend. :( I am paying month to month on other devices [iPhone mini 12 and iPhone 8!], but for some reason my mini 13 AppleCare+ is set to expire in about a week. I may chat with support again and find out if there is any way to extend the AC+ month to month or if I have to wait till it is expired. I have had batteries replaced before at 80%, so it seems the 79% is new [to me]. My Apple Watch Series 7 is at 80% as well
You should get the option to extend when it expires in most Western countries - they really love our money.

Reactions: vjl323

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Hello All, Well I go the new 14 pro Max phone about a year ago and the Battery life it at 91 %. Would anyone know about how long the battery's last. I hope to get 5 or more years out of the phone. Thanks
Hello you. Why u ask for 14 pro max in a 13 mini tread?

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
Hello All, Well I go the new 14 pro Max phone about a year ago and the Battery life it at 91 %. Would anyone know about how long the battery's last. I hope to get 5 or more years out of the phone. Thanks
5 years? keep in just for phone calls.

For an active web browser/social media iphone that runs out of battery by bedtime, 2-3 years is normal to get to 79% and then a new battery.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
I did half of that trail years ago. It was wonderful. Good on you and your 13 mini to make it all the way.
Thank you! It was a life-changing journey, to say the least. And to stay semi-on-topic - the 13 mini was great in how small and light it is [I will continue to buy mini iPhones, if Apple makes them!] Day-to-day battery life is a bit of an issue on trail as it does have the smallest battery - but then, it doesn't take a lot of power from my banks to charge it back up! I mostly used it for photo/video captures, and the amazing FarOut app to find out about water sources [there was a drought up north] and contact info for shuttle drivers and hiker hostels when getting close to town. The 13 min is still my daily driver...

Last edited:

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Envious. Mine is just about to turn 2. But I used it very heavily for 9 months in 2022 - it and my Series 7 AW [also at 80%] were with me for a 2,194.3 mile hike from Georgia to Maine - hiking the Appalachian Trail. Over 33,000 photos and videos taken on the little guy. :) And the Watch recorded my hikes daily. I conserved battery a lot, as I would only go into town every 7-10 days to resupply/charge my 2 battery banks, etc. But when they were used, they were used! [Keeping the display off helped my AW last for 14+ hour hiking workouts, and keeping my phone in low battery and airplane mode most of the day also helped].
Would love to hear your tips for extending battery life on the watch while hiking. Not overnight or anything, but I have an 8-9 hour hike coming up this summer & would like to be able to track it on my Apple Watch Series 7. I usually use the watch for maps, podcasts, etc, and it only lasts a few hours. For that 8-9 hour hike, I'd only be using it to track my mileage, but don't know what settings to choose to extend it the most. Any advice you can offer on how to extend battery life would be appreciated.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I wish I could! There is no option for me to extend. :( I am paying month to month on other devices [iPhone mini 12 and iPhone 8!], but for some reason my mini 13 AppleCare+ is set to expire in about a week. I may chat with support again and find out if there is any way to extend the AC+ month to month or if I have to wait till it is expired. I have had batteries replaced before at 80%, so it seems the 79% is new [to me]. My Apple Watch Series 7 is at 80% as well
Can't say this is true for all apple devices, but if you paid for you 13 mini apple care up front rather than monthly, then you can't extend it until the original apple care runs out. Then you have 30 days to add it month to month (or at least that's how it's worked on my last 2 watches)

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
I'm one of these guys who wants his battery life to stay at 100%.

I've got my 13pro max in October, 2021.

Things I do:
- turn off the phone every single night
- charge my phone at my work laptop or in the car (it's like 5w of power?)
- charge to 80-90% (it was at 100% battery charge for like 10 times since 2021)
- never use wireless charging

I had 100% battery life for like 12 months straight.

Today, I got only 91% left. I remember when I checked the battery life and it was like 94%. Last time I checked it was at 100%.

So I think my effort was nothing. I don't think a typical use would've dropped my battery life to significantly less battery life.

I'm kinda like a nerd to this battery life thing. It hurts me to see my phone at 100%, because I think it kills the battery. Same with my electric scooter.

But I can't say, that it was worth it.

Happy to discuss.
My iPhone 14 had 100% battery life after one year. I charged it to 100% almost every time, almost always wireless (apple magsafe) sometimes with the 15w apple charger.
I did exactly the same with my iPhone 15 pro, and after 2,5 months it's at 99% battery life! My husbands 15 pro which he bought at the same time as mine, the only thing which is different is the color, has 100% battery life.
After trying many different ways of charging I don't trust the advices anymore and will charge when I want in the future. I will probably replace the phone long before the battery is too bad anyways.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Can't say this is true for all apple devices, but if you paid for you 13 mini apple care up front rather than monthly, then you can't extend it until the original apple care runs out. Then you have 30 days to add it month to month (or at least that's how it's worked on my last 2 watches)
I was thankfully offered to extend it monthly the day the 2 year AC+ contract ended. After posting here, I chatted with Apple Support and they confirmed that once the 2 years was up, I would have 30 days to go month to month. I forgot that's what I did with my AW series 6 and even my iPhone 8 [but failed to do with my 12 mini].

I do wish the AC section of the Settings app did have some wording that mentioned one could extend it once it expires. But it is safely covered now [and the 13 mini is still sitting at 80% battery capacity!]

Reactions: mk313

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Would love to hear your tips for extending battery life on the watch while hiking. Not overnight or anything, but I have an 8-9 hour hike coming up this summer & would like to be able to track it on my Apple Watch Series 7. I usually use the watch for maps, podcasts, etc, and it only lasts a few hours. For that 8-9 hour hike, I'd only be using it to track my mileage, but don't know what settings to choose to extend it the most. Any advice you can offer on how to extend battery life would be appreciated.
A disclaimer here is that my AW7 is still running watchOS 9 [I will be posting a "how did y'all cope with no more Dock?" post next week!], so I don't know if the new features in the hiking workout take more battery power under watchOS 10, but considering I hiked the AT with watchOS 8 only [no way was I going to do an iOS/watchOS upgrade on trail! :D ], and still use the AW7 on hikes with watchOS 9, hopefully these tips will help
  • Display mode - Always On - turn it off!
  • Keep your iPhone in Airplane Mode and Low Power Mode [both can be quickly accessed via buttons in Control Center, so when you do want to contact the outside world, you can quickly do so]
  • If you have a cell model Watch [I don't], turn the cell radio/feature off
  • I used a Focus mode I created called Hiking which turned nearly all push notices off [doesn't matter too much when the iPhone is in Airplane mode, but does help when you go online with the phone and don't want/need the notices on the Watch - each time the haptic engine taps/vibrates your wrist, the battery is used]
  • Used the default Apple Workout app to track my hiking [workout type: hike]. There's lots of 3rd party apps which can do hiking workouts and often have more/fancy features, but in the end, the Apple Workout app, from my pre-thru hike testing, proved to be the most efficient on battery life, which was paramount for me]
  • I did not use any Apple device for on trail music/podcast listening, so I am unsure how those apps would affect battery life; sadly under watchOS 9, there is no breakdown of what apps are using the most power
  • I used my iPhone for map/water source/shuttle info via an app called FarOut, which I used in Airplane mode - it allows you to turn the GPS on and off to see your place on the map, but I would only use the GPS mode for a second or two to confirm my location [usually to see how much of a climb I still had, though ahead of most large climbs, I would glance at my Watch to know I was 3 miles up a 7 mile climb, but used the iPhone FarOut app to double check in hopes I might be a bit further up :) ]
  • For day hikes, I use AllTrails and have offline maps there [and allow the app on my Watch to send push notices, as it has a great feature for tapping your wrist when you go off trail - something I did years ago in the Smokies, missing a turn and continuing on another trail for 2 miles before I realized I had missed the turn!]
  • Pre-hike - go into the Settings app on the Watch and find the Battery section and see what your current capacity is. [Tap the section labeled Battery Health]
  • Pre-hike - as soon as you have taken your Watch off the charger the day of your hike, put that always on display into "tap to display" - even before you get to the trailhead. Start your conversation measures the moment you unlock your Watch. Focus mode, display off.
  • I regularly pulled 11-12 hour days, though I would pause the hike workout [and on rare occasions stop it, if I was taking an extended break, and start a new hike workout when that break was over]. I'm an app hoarder at times, on my iPhone, but on the Watch [and for the hike, on my iPhone too], I removed a lot of apps I would not need on the Watch. 3rd party apps I kept on - MyRadarPro, Drafts, Pedometer++, WaterMinder, and for day hikes post thru hike, AllTrails. In my Hiking Focus Mode I allowed Weather, MyRadarPro, and WaterMinder to give me push notices [WaterMinder gives local push notices - the weather apps are useful when you have your iPhone on, warning you of lightning coming, etc], and post thru hike, definitely allow AllTrails to tap your wrist
I'd suspect that your battery drain may come from music/podcasting, as that's something I don't do on Watch, but I have on a day hike or two with iPhone and Spotify for music and Overcast for podcasting; Spotify has drained my 13 mini quite quickly before when I listened to a ~10 song playlist in the backcountry on speaker [no bluetooth headphones]. My experience with audio listening while not in the car or at home is very, very limited as it's not something I usually do.

watchOS 10 has new features for the Hiking workout, which I am testing out on my AW series 6, as I just installed watchOS 10 on my older watch a few days ago [long story], so I haven't yet found if those new features cause more battery drain; I am still getting used to the OS features, as I have several issues I'm trying to find workarounds for, so I haven't hiked with version 10 just yet. Hopefully later this month I will.

I'd say to go a day with the display off [tap to view - quick access to that feature in Control Center - the Theatre Mode - theatre mask icons - will enable tap to view display], just in normal life and see if you get more battery life out of your watch that way. I tend to suspect the audio listening is probably the biggest drain, but that's just a guess on my part. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have!

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
A disclaimer here is that my AW7 is still running watchOS 9 [I will be posting a "how did y'all cope with no more Dock?" post next week!], so I don't know if the new features in the hiking workout take more battery power under watchOS 10, but considering I hiked the AT with watchOS 8 only [no way was I going to do an iOS/watchOS upgrade on trail! :D ], and still use the AW7 on hikes with watchOS 9, hopefully these tips will help
  • Display mode - Always On - turn it off!
  • Keep your iPhone in Airplane Mode and Low Power Mode [both can be quickly accessed via buttons in Control Center, so when you do want to contact the outside world, you can quickly do so]
  • If you have a cell model Watch [I don't], turn the cell radio/feature off
  • I used a Focus mode I created called Hiking which turned nearly all push notices off [doesn't matter too much when the iPhone is in Airplane mode, but does help when you go online with the phone and don't want/need the notices on the Watch - each time the haptic engine taps/vibrates your wrist, the battery is used]
  • Used the default Apple Workout app to track my hiking [workout type: hike]. There's lots of 3rd party apps which can do hiking workouts and often have more/fancy features, but in the end, the Apple Workout app, from my pre-thru hike testing, proved to be the most efficient on battery life, which was paramount for me]
  • I did not use any Apple device for on trail music/podcast listening, so I am unsure how those apps would affect battery life; sadly under watchOS 9, there is no breakdown of what apps are using the most power
  • I used my iPhone for map/water source/shuttle info via an app called FarOut, which I used in Airplane mode - it allows you to turn the GPS on and off to see your place on the map, but I would only use the GPS mode for a second or two to confirm my location [usually to see how much of a climb I still had, though ahead of most large climbs, I would glance at my Watch to know I was 3 miles up a 7 mile climb, but used the iPhone FarOut app to double check in hopes I might be a bit further up :) ]
  • For day hikes, I use AllTrails and have offline maps there [and allow the app on my Watch to send push notices, as it has a great feature for tapping your wrist when you go off trail - something I did years ago in the Smokies, missing a turn and continuing on another trail for 2 miles before I realized I had missed the turn!]
  • Pre-hike - go into the Settings app on the Watch and find the Battery section and see what your current capacity is. [Tap the section labeled Battery Health]
  • Pre-hike - as soon as you have taken your Watch off the charger the day of your hike, put that always on display into "tap to display" - even before you get to the trailhead. Start your conversation measures the moment you unlock your Watch. Focus mode, display off.
  • I regularly pulled 11-12 hour days, though I would pause the hike workout [and on rare occasions stop it, if I was taking an extended break, and start a new hike workout when that break was over]. I'm an app hoarder at times, on my iPhone, but on the Watch [and for the hike, on my iPhone too], I removed a lot of apps I would not need on the Watch. 3rd party apps I kept on - MyRadarPro, Drafts, Pedometer++, WaterMinder, and for day hikes post thru hike, AllTrails. In my Hiking Focus Mode I allowed Weather, MyRadarPro, and WaterMinder to give me push notices [WaterMinder gives local push notices - the weather apps are useful when you have your iPhone on, warning you of lightning coming, etc], and post thru hike, definitely allow AllTrails to tap your wrist
I'd suspect that your battery drain may come from music/podcasting, as that's something I don't do on Watch, but I have on a day hike or two with iPhone and Spotify for music and Overcast for podcasting; Spotify has drained my 13 mini quite quickly before when I listened to a ~10 song playlist in the backcountry on speaker [no bluetooth headphones]. My experience with audio listening while not in the car or at home is very, very limited as it's not something I usually do.

watchOS 10 has new features for the Hiking workout, which I am testing out on my AW series 6, as I just installed watchOS 10 on my older watch a few days ago [long story], so I haven't yet found if those new features cause more battery drain; I am still getting used to the OS features, as I have several issues I'm trying to find workarounds for, so I haven't hiked with version 10 just yet. Hopefully later this month I will.

I'd say to go a day with the display off [tap to view - quick access to that feature in Control Center - the Theatre Mode - theatre mask icons - will enable tap to view display], just in normal life and see if you get more battery life out of your watch that way. I tend to suspect the audio listening is probably the biggest drain, but that's just a guess on my part. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have!
This is fantastic, thanks! I'll give those tips a try.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
This is fantastic, thanks! I'll give those tips a try.
No problem! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The amount of data Watch captures is insane. I recently started using an iPhone/Mac app called Health Auto Export as it has given me the ability to take 9 months of workout data from my 2022 thru hike and put into spreadsheets, interactive/stationary maps, and more [the app allows you to export your hiking or other outdoor workouts as GPX files and using the free CalTOPO website, one can import them there, and export them as KML if you want to import them into Google Earth Pro [one of the only google apps I use, as you can create amazing videos of your hike using that app]. There is also the ReLive iPhone app which allows you to import GPX files and it creates tasty looking videos of your hike too - for free, or you can customize the maps with a monthly subscription.

I do wish watchOS allowed the battery settings feature to display what apps are using the most battery, like iPhone does.

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
No problem! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The amount of data Watch captures is insane. I recently started using an iPhone/Mac app called Health Auto Export as it has given me the ability to take 9 months of workout data from my 2022 thru hike and put into spreadsheets, interactive/stationary maps, and more [the app allows you to export your hiking or other outdoor workouts as GPX files and using the free CalTOPO website, one can import them there, and export them as KML if you want to import them into Google Earth Pro [one of the only google apps I use, as you can create amazing videos of your hike using that app]. There is also the ReLive iPhone app which allows you to import GPX files and it creates tasty looking videos of your hike too - for free, or you can customize the maps with a monthly subscription.

I do wish watchOS allowed the battery settings feature to display what apps are using the most battery, like iPhone does.
Thanks for the heads up on that app. Sounds like something I could use. I'll have to take a look at it.

I've tried some of the tips you mentioned (figured I'd try them on them one by one at first to see how they each work) and have been able to get some extra battery life out of my watch already. I'll end up combining them as I take longer hikes to figure out what gives me the most battery life, with the least impact to my usage. Not listening to podcasts was a big impact on battery life.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Thanks for the heads up on that app. Sounds like something I could use. I'll have to take a look at it.

I've tried some of the tips you mentioned (figured I'd try them on them one by one at first to see how they each work) and have been able to get some extra battery life out of my watch already. I'll end up combining them as I take longer hikes to figure out what gives me the most battery life, with the least impact to my usage. Not listening to podcasts was a big impact on battery life.
I had a feeling that audio apps on Watch might be the source of the quicker drain. :( That is something you'll have to get used to, if you want it to last the entire time, it appears. Or use your phone for podcast/music listening? I don't have much experience with that though - the tiny bit I did [10 songs on an offline playlist in airplane mode via Spotify], drained my phone much quicker than anything else I used on it, at the time. My usual use of music apps is when iPhone is hooked into my car via bluetooth and on a charger. So I don't have any real experience on music on iPhone or Watch when not plugged in to power. :(

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
I'm pretty impressed by how the battery itself is holding up. 95.4% of original capacity, 753 charge cycles. The best Apple battery yet I've encountered. I don't do anything special but one thing to mention is I don't play any games on my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 6.11.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 6.11.52 PM.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.