Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I ordered 14P in purple even though I šŸ’œ my Sierra Blue 13P. It arrived today and almost certainly sending it back. Right now it's setting up but I'm super disappointed in the dark purple color. Probably appeals to men but it's too dark for me - almost black in low light and eggplant in sun/bright light. I'm going to play with DI and test out (definitely brighter) display in direct sun tomorrow as those were two reasons I pre-ordered. These two things would have to be *super compelling* for me to keep it. I was expecting a purple phone, even after launch photos, not a charcoal/eggplant shade. Sierra Blue has been beautiful color iMO. And I have a ton of cases that show it off. Anyway, just a personal preference; I generally like light to medium toned phones. And yes, mine goes in a case but even the camera bump looks black. #notme

Very disappointed. If battery is worse, that will make decision to return even easier. Oh well, I will help save the planet, at least for this year...šŸ˜…

On a positive note: screen doesnt seem much warmer to me, just much brighter at same setting, which is a good thing.

• Haha
Reactions: PirateP

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I'm upgrading mostly because I want too. Apple wants to give me $600 trade-in but I'm still shopping it around. Ultimately the upgrade will cost me $400 unless I can get a better offer.
Mine is $500 cost for same 256 Pro phone with $600 trade. Prolly not worth it - trade-in's are lower this year and I don't want hassle of selling myself or entering carrier contract.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I went from a 13 Pro Max to 14 Pro for the size. I always want the camera upgrades, no matter how minor they may be. I also wanted access to the Satellite SOS feature - I'm in Search and Rescue and really appreciate the value in this. Plus, I can cancel my Garmin InReach subscription...
I am also going 13 Pro Max to 14 Pro in hopes the device feels lighter. When I tested the 13 Pro last year I felt the weight distribution made the 13 Pro Max actually feel lighter to me. Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s not the case this year.

Reactions: yaboid01 and Brad7

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I am also going 13 Pro Max to 14 Pro in hopes the device feels lighter. When I tested the 13 Pro last year I felt the weight distribution made the 13 Pro Max actually feel lighter to me. Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s not the case this year.
I tossed that around too, but would cost me $700AUD with case and GSP after selling my 13 max, $900 to a 14 max, then I remembered typing is better and cant beat the battery and bigger screen.
Nothing I see on the 14 pro is swaying me yet and I have upgraded every year since 4S.
Black is not black either a bit darker SG.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Mine is $500 cost for same 256 Pro phone with $600 trade. Prolly not worth it - trade-in's are lower this year and I don't want hassle of selling myself or entering carrier contract.

Yea, I jumped up to 256 GB from 128 GB and I got the military discount in play. I will shop it around and see if there is a better offer.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
I was going to as I am in the iUP Program but decided to keep my 13PM and pay it off so I can trade it in next year. The upgrades this year were lackluster and to me there was no point of continuing having a loan open. I also believe the novelty of the island will wear off as it still seems like a half baked idea. Next year we will see usb c and possible form factor change so I am waiting for that.

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I was on the fence about upgrading for the longest time. There are several factors as to why I am not upgrading this year. One is because my mom passed away in August and we would watch the Apple Keynote and upgrade together. Since she is gone I have no reason to want to upgrade. Secondly her and I just switched to Verizon in May and have not had the 13 PM that long. I love the Dynamic Island and would love to see the images generated from the new 48MP camera but I cannot do it. However I am happy for those that have and are upgrading. Next year will be my year. I do think the only thing I will do is possibly get the Apple Watch Ultra and that is a small maybe. Being that I just got a Spigen protective watch casing for my green Apple Watch Series 7 45mm.

rachelsgoldens

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I'm not for the first time since the 6. Main reason is I switch between the Pro Max and Mini on a pretty regular basis. I like the small phone to carry at work since I also have a work phone. Can't just pop the Sim card out to do that on the 14 and not sure if carrier will try to charge each time. I also spent a lot of money on home improvements this year and drained my savings. Adulting sucks

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I thought the 13 Pro was a pretty good leap over the 12 Pro with the camera improvements, brighter screen, and 120Hz. I was expecting to see pretty big camera updates for this year given that Apple was going from 12MP to 48MP. But the reviews have been very mixed on the camera improvements, and a lot were saying that the 13 Pro looks better or the same in many cases. Even though there's a $1000 credit option with my carrier, it takes several years to get the full credits. Plus the value for a Pro at Apple dropped from $640 to $600 this year. I had a pre-order in, but I cancelled it after seeing the reviews pan it in terms of a 13 Pro to 14 Pro upgrade. It sounds like it's good for 12 Pro/12 and earlier phone users though. This is the first time since iPhone X/8 year that I didnā€™t get a new iPhone.

Reactions: Shasta McNasty

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
Maybe. I had decided to keep my 13PM Sierra Blue this year. I had a free moment today and checked out the local availability for a 14PM black 256. Lo and behold my preferred Apl store had one available. I opened the Apl store in Safari to sign into the Veterans store. Checked and it was still available so I ordered it and will be picking it up tomorrow. I have 2 weeks to play around with it and then decide if it is a keeper.

EDIT: The Wifey ask me if I was done upgrading tech this year LOL...

Last edited:

Crazyj414

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
Nah. I have an addiction to phone cases and have too many and there is nothing wrong with my phone so I trying to keep it a while.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I really want to just for the island but I'm having a really hard time justifying it. What's holding me back is I have a ton of cases for my 13p that I love and switch out often, and I'd have to repurchase them for the 14p. Silly reasoning but it is what it is. I'm at least waiting for more real-life reviews to come out to see if it's really worth it, I have a feeling I'll just keep my 13p though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotpinkflamingoaz

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Interesting. It almost feels weird to say but iā€™ve noticed slightly better battery life on both my 13 Pro and watch S5 with the new updates. I wonder whatā€™s going on

Oh and no, iā€™m not upgrading this year. Iā€™m not too convinced by the pill design right now and I prefer the notch mostly because I often watch youtube videos on my phone, and the pill will cut into the border of 18:9 videos. Also I think next year is usb c year and theyā€™ll probably be advertising all of the improvements as a major selling point, which is another reason iā€™m waiting.
Well just remember if you decide to wait until next year to upgrade the pill design will be waiting for you to cut into your content šŸ˜‰. Might as well get one this year and develop a tolerance and trade again when the 15 arrives šŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: TheSynchronizer

Marswarrior462

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
Nope. 13 Pro Max takes great enough photos when looking on them at a 6.7" screen.

I'll wait for USB-C like all my iPads and laptops.
Same here. The iPhone 14 Pros not getting 8K isnā€™t even that bad of a disappointment because getting them off the phone wouldā€™ve been a nightmare due to those awful speeds

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
Best Buy offer is pretty tempting. If you want to upgrade like for like iPhone 13 Pro it would effectively be $300 since trade in value is $100 higher than Apple.

I do agree with many people that this new phone is pretty iterative. YouTubers have hyped it up a lot more than needs to be. Camera sounds good on paper but marginally better, dynamic island is nifty but not enough of a reason to upgrade, always on is a little hit or miss.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I wanna see where you all stand. Personally, Iā€™m happy with my iPhone 13 Pro Max and I personally will not be upgrading this year because I donā€™t think going from a 13 Pro Max to a 14 Pro Max is worth a $2000+ upgrade, they still have the crappy Lightning port, no 8K, 48MP is limited to the Wide Camera, no periscope lens, and my current phone still takes great photos and still has an incredible display. Are any of you upgrading from your 13 Pro to the 14 Pro or not?
Nope, I got my 13 Pro Max a few weeks before the 14 was announced and now seeing the price increase in my country on 14 Pro Max, I am quite glad I made the move as the price from 13 Pro Max 256GB to 14 Pro Max 256GB is a $300 jump, which is quite insane given how similar they are overall.

In fact the 14 Pro Max 128GB is $150 more than a 13 Pro Max 256GB, where I am, LMAO!

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Nope. 13 Pro Max serves my needs very well. Would that satellite feature be nice? Yeah, it could come in handy at some point. But I don't see myself going to remote areas without any sort of service anytime soon.

And while I really do like the purple, that in itself isn't a reason to upgrade. And the lack of a physical SIM put the nail in the upgrade coffin for me.

Will wait and see what the iPhone 15 has to offer.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I have the 13PM and was planning on upgrading ā€” instead, I ordered the 14PM straight out and will keep the 13PM for the time being (or put towards ļ£æReality).

I even offered my 13PM to my mom, but she had already ordered the 14PM/256 in Deep Purple!

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Because of the trade in value for the 14. I did the same when I had my 12. If it wasnā€™t for that I wouldnā€™t upgrade lol.

In the end, itā€™s just about $500 out of pocket. I know thatā€™s an extra $500 I can save a year, but I figure I can just cut back how much I spend on coffee a day, it would make up for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.