Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I've now had my iPhone 13 pro Max for two years and my battery health is still at 100%. I'm wondering how common this is because two of my friends also have the same phone. One friend is down to 91% capacity while the other is at 93%. Did I luck out or is having 100% capacity after two years common? I religiously never allow my battery to go below 20% and I rarely charge over 80%.

Please state your battery health capacity on your 13 Pro/Max

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My brother's 13 Pro Max (it was mine before I sold it to him) is at 97% right now.

When I got it, it was something like 103% health (coconutBattery) so I think that's why after almost 2 years it's at 97% health now. (I was also super light with it when I had it).

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
87%. I charge nightly with the 5w charger...not because I'm trying to save my battery, but because it was already there and handy. I don't baby my battery at all..When it gets below 80%, I'll have Apple replace it.

First time I've checked my battery health in probably six months. It lasts all day and then some, but I'm pretty lite user..1-2 hours SOT daily, and less on weekends.

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I've now had my iPhone 13 pro Max for two years and my battery health is still at 100%.
I religiously never allow my battery to go below 20% and I rarely charge over 80%.
And like many others with similar reports, the value is probably an inaccurate guesstimate:

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
Launch day 13 Pro at 92% health. Moderate to somewhat heavy use. Usually charge every two days overnight using the 5W charger.

Yary

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Mine and my brother's ones on launch day. My iP 13PM is 90% and my brother's is still at 100%. But I'm a heavy user and he's not

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ah I see! Yeah iPhone 13 Pro Max was solid for me too. In fact I regret upgrading last year. Mine was at 100% as well when I upgraded last year.

Yeah it’s a solid phone and I bought it just as the 14 Pro came out. I’ll see how it is this time next year and decide if it’s then worth upgrading to the 15 Pro. As of now the battery is good, and the phone still feels snappy and brand new.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
95% now on my 13 Pro Max
IMG_0607.png

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Got my 13 PM a week or two after the launch. Standing at 94% now.

Pretty much a 80% using an old Samsung Qi charger and the 20% or so using Magsafe.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Got my 13 PM a week or two after the launch. Standing at 94% now.

Pretty much a 80% using an old Samsung Qi charger and the 20% or so using Magsafe.

And imagine my iPhone 14 Pro Max is at 94% with half the usage compared to a 13 Pro Max.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I've now had my iPhone 13 pro Max for two years and my battery health is still at 100%. I'm wondering how common this is because two of my friends also have the same phone. One friend is down to 91% capacity while the other is at 93%. Did I luck out or is having 100% capacity after two years common? I religiously never allow my battery to go below 20% and I rarely charge over 80%.

Please state your battery health capacity on your 13 Pro/Max
82%. Bought on launch day, been charging nightly via magsafe.

Right now, my plan is to force the battery health to below 80% by the end of October so I can qualify for a free battery replacement courtesy of Applecare+ (though in hindsight, it would have been cheaper to simply pay for it out of pocket).

After that, maybe I will go back to wired charging. Seeing how all that heat has quite the deleterious impact on my battery health, apparently.

Reactions: DerbyGrange

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
14 Pro Max user/owner

Based on my experience with iPhone 7 Plus, the battery capacity on Wikipedia is 2900mAh however looking at the diagnostics log shows that the battery is 3000+ mAh which is the reason that battery health shows up 100% for a considerable amount of time...

This is just my experience but I am thinking that Apple may have done the same with the other iPhones... I just can't seem to remember when and on what forum thread I have posted about that diagnostic log from iPhone privacy....

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
14 Pro Max user/owner

Based on my experience with iPhone 7 Plus, the battery capacity on Wikipedia is 2900mAh however looking at the diagnostics log shows that the battery is 3000+ mAh which is the reason that battery health shows up 100% for a considerable amount of time...

This is just my experience but I am thinking that Apple may have done the same with the other iPhones... I just can't seem to remember when and on what forum thread I have posted about that diagnostic log from iPhone privacy....
Correct. There are many reports of devices including above design capacity (e.g., 103%). You can view device, including battery information, using these utilities/tools:

macOS: coconutBattery
Windows: 3uTools

I found a decent explanation of relevant terminology:

Design capacity
The design capacity of a battery indicates the maximum amount of energy the battery can store when new. It is a fixed value typically expressed in units such as milliwatt hours (mWh) or milliamp hours (mAh). Physical characteristics such as the number of cells, size of the components, and spatial constraints are all factors in determining the design capacity of a battery pack. For example, large form factor “desktop replacement” notebooks can accommodate bigger battery packs with a higher design capacity. By contrast, an ultra-portable form factor must be thin and light. Therefore, such designs are restricted to smaller, lighter, battery packs with a lower design capacity.

Full charge capacity
Although design capacity communicates the maximum energy level a battery can store, full charge capacity is more apparent to the end user. Full charge capacity is the amount of energy the battery can store when the state of charge is 100%. When a battery is new and unused, the full charge capacity value equal to the design capacity value. Occasionally, a new battery may report a full charge capacity which is greater than the design capacity value. In these cases, the battery may require a few charge cycles for the OS to report the correct values. However, in all cases, design capacity is a static value that does not change, full charge capacity decreases over time as the damage to the battery accumulates.

Also see my earlier post for related explanations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.