Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woody1073

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2019
United Kingdom
I’m on 90% and I’m a heavy user plus for 4 nights every week I use my phones personal hotspot for 12 hours each night so I can connect my laptop and watch films etc so for those 4 nights my phone is almost permanently charging and gets quite hot at times so I’d of expected the battery to be a lot worse off than it is so I’m happy with 90% I’m on the fence as to whether to buy the iPhone 15 pro Max or stay with this phone for another year or two

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Mine 100% currently. I stopped wireless charging after it destroyed the battery health on my iPhone 12 and wired still seems to be the best even if it’s less convenient.

I used a wireless charger a few times in the beginning but I stopped using it because I didn't like how hot it made my battery. So I haven't used it again. I wonder if its safe to say my battery health wouldn't be so high like it is today if I was still using wireless charging.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

DerbyGrange

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
I don’t have the 13 but the 14Pro. 1 year old, charged wirelessly and had 100% as well,.. but after the iOS 17 update until today I lost 6% because of the upgrade. 😑

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Still stuck at 81% health. Methinks Apple is not going to let me qualify for that free battery replacement before my AppleCare expires after all. :oops:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Still stuck at 81% health. Methinks Apple is not going to let me qualify for that free battery replacement before my AppleCare expires after all. :oops:

I’m convinced they control the reading to some degree. When you said months ago that you were waiting for it to drop below 80% before the 2 year mark, I was sceptical. My Apple Watch battery health plummeted fast and then held at 81% for months. It’s been on 79% now for 7 months and is recommending a replacement but it’s not worth the cost at this point and well past its warranty.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I’m convinced they control the reading to some degree. When you said months ago that you were waiting for it to drop below 80% before the 2 year mark, I was sceptical. My Apple Watch battery health plummeted fast and then held at 81% for months. It’s been on 79% now for 7 months and is recommending a replacement but it’s not worth the cost at this point and well past its warranty.

Regarding the Apple Watch, I am pretty sure that so long as its battery health is below 80%, you can pay the subsidised rate to replace the battery (and the entire watch) no matter how long it has been. Though depending on which model you have, you may as well get the current model. I did this last April for my series 5 when its battery health suddenly dipped to 76% very quickly, and couldn’t last through the day without recharging. The plus side was that my watch also had a faulty Digital Crown that needed fixing.

My AppleCare expires 19 Nov, so let’s see. I am not opposed to simply paying for a battery replacement sometime at the end of the year, and I don’t intend to go out of my way to degrade my iPhone battery any more quickly. My 13 pro max still has enough juice to last me through the day. I felt it was one of those “may as well” endeavours but I agree with your observation, and since Apple controls their battery check software, I guess we won’t know just how accurate it really is.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Regarding the Apple Watch, I am pretty sure that so long as its battery health is below 80%, you can pay the subsidised rate to replace the battery (and the entire watch) no matter how long it has been. Though depending on which model you have, you may as well get the current model. I did this last April for my series 5 when its battery health suddenly dipped to 76% very quickly, and couldn’t last through the day without recharging. The plus side was that my watch also had a faulty Digital Crown that needed fixing.

My AppleCare expires 19 Nov, so let’s see. I am not opposed to simply paying for a battery replacement sometime at the end of the year, and I don’t intend to go out of my way to degrade my iPhone battery any more quickly. My 13 pro max still has enough juice to last me through the day. I felt it was one of those “may as well” endeavours but I agree with your observation, and since Apple controls their battery check software, I guess we won’t know just how accurate it really is.

I could pay an amount for a new battery but not interested as the watch is just passed 4 years old (series 5). I was going to replace it this year but the series 9 was so disappointing and my watch just about gets to 9pm each night, so I’ve decided to make it last another year in the hope the series 10 is a big upgrade.

I doubt your 13PM will lose 2% in the next 2 months if I’m honest. I also have that iPhone and it’s a beast of a phone with great battery life. The health is night and day compared to my iPhone 12 which plummeted like a stone. I think you’ll manage with the health it has until next September. My 13PM is just over a year old and on 98%.

Reactions: Abazigal

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I could pay an amount for a new battery but not interested as the watch is just passed 4 years old (series 5). I was going to replace it this year but the series 9 was so disappointing and my watch just about gets to 9pm each night, so I’ve decided to make it last another year in the hope the series 10 is a big upgrade.

I doubt your 13PM will lose 2% in the next 2 months if I’m honest. I also have that iPhone and it’s a beast of a phone with great battery life. The health is night and day compared to my iPhone 12 which plummeted like a stone. I think you’ll manage with the health it has until next September. My 13PM is just over a year old and on 98%.
Hey, what are the odds that we both have the 13 pro max and series 5? :D

I know, it should actually be pretty good, and I am also in the "I kinda feel tempted to upgrade to the ultra 2, but my series 5 is actually still going strong and since I had the battery serviced last year, it makes it through the day and at this point, I might just hold on to it till it either gives way or is no longer supported".

I am impressed your 13 PM is still at 98%. How did you charge it? I use magsafe every night, and I suppose that has something to do with it. I know the battery life is more than enough; I just feel like doing something with it since I am not upgrading to the 15 PM. 😬

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I've now had my iPhone 13 pro Max for two years and my battery health is still at 100%. I'm wondering how common this is because two of my friends also have the same phone. One friend is down to 91% capacity while the other is at 93%. Did I luck out or is having 100% capacity after two years common? I religiously never allow my battery to go below 20% and I rarely charge over 80%.

Please state your battery health capacity on your 13 Pro/Max
87% after two years. I charge every night.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Have you done a recalibration?

See an example result ;) :

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Hey, what are the odds that we both have the 13 pro max and series 5? :D

I know, it should actually be pretty good, and I am also in the "I kinda feel tempted to upgrade to the ultra 2, but my series 5 is actually still going strong and since I had the battery serviced last year, it makes it through the day and at this point, I might just hold on to it till it either gives way or is no longer supported".

I am impressed your 13 PM is still at 98%. How did you charge it? I use magsafe every night, and I suppose that has something to do with it. I know the battery life is more than enough; I just feel like doing something with it since I am not upgrading to the 15 PM.

Both been great devices so we should be proud to still be using them as opposed to those flipping every year.

I don’t have the temptation but the Ultra, I don’t like its design and it’s far too big for me, plus it’s £799 which puts me off even further. I know many justify the higher costs because they keep watches as long as we do, but it still doesn’t sit right with me to pay that much for a smartwatch. I’ll probably buy an aluminium series 10 next year.

With the 13PM I charge via a cable. I stopped wireless charging after my iPhone 12 suffered so badly. The back of the phone was warm each morning and I’m convinced wireless charging ruined the battery. I just plug in the old way and it’s fine.

Reactions: Abazigal

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I learned NOT to give AF long time ago. Why? After 6-8 months or say a year, I'm selling my phones.

This is why I also try to use my phones WITHOUT a case as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.