Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I got my 14 today, and I don’t know if it’s my eyes, but I do feel like the top of the phone is a little more yellow than the bottom

Attachments

• E902E74C-26DA-49BA-8721-C64CC25D043D.jpeg
    E902E74C-26DA-49BA-8721-C64CC25D043D.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 543

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
This year it pays to be an early adopter. My IPhone 14 Pro max screen uniformity is excellent.

This is at night showing a black wallpaper (so all pixels should be on).
Compared to my Iphone12 which had uneven lighting this is amazing. Also the white screen does not have any color gradient to yellow. It is slighty warm indoor (very very subtle) but totally cool white outdoor.

I am impressed, Apple QA did a great Job on the first batches of phones.

0203F41E-C116-4CA2-9C8F-922595A37A6F.jpeg

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I'm still waiting for my 14 Pro Max to arrive but could someone maybe give me a quick summary of how to exactly test for screen uniformity issues? Thanks in advance!

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
This year it pays to be an early adopter. My IPhone 14 Pro max screen uniformity is excellent.

Compared to my Iphone12 which had uneven lighting this is amazing. Also the white screen does not have any color gradient to yellow. It is slighty warm indoor (very very subtle) but totally cool white outdoor.

I am impressed, Apple QA did a great Job on the first batches of phones.

View attachment 2069043
If it's true black then the pixels are turned off and your test wouldn't be indicative of uniformity issues

I'm still waiting for my 14 Pro Max to arrive but could someone maybe give me a quick summary of how to exactly test for screen uniformity issues? Thanks in advance!
Save a x% gray image (I uploaded one in a previous reply that I think is 5%, source is rtings.com). Go in a pitch black room, test at all brightnesses. However if your display is not uniform you'll be jumping down a big rabbit hole if you decide to swap out for a different one and it's complicated by the shortage of available devices at the moment.

Reactions: chris4565

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Save a x% gray image (I uploaded one in a previous reply that I think is 5%, source is rtings.com). Go in a pitch black room, test at all brightnesses. However if your display is not uniform you'll be jumping down a big rabbit hole if you decide to swap out for a different one and it's complicated by the shortage of available devices at the moment.
Thanks for the explanation 👍 Haha, yeah, I'm fully aware of this but I'm sure I can't withstand the urge to test my iPhone's screen uniformity as soon as I get it in my hands 😅

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
You can pull up:

1. Grayscale full-screen pattern test on YouTube

2. Gray full screen static image at 10% brightness

These options will help show you any uniformity issues on your display.

May the odds ever be in your favor, cheers!

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011

If it’s actually black 0% then all pixels should be off and so of course this would be fine as that’s the principle of OLED.

The iPhone 12 was a disaster and managed to light its pixels for black. That’s never how any OLED panel should be.

The 12 was a total joke display wise.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
If it’s actually black 0% then all pixels should be off and so of course this would be fine as that’s the principle of OLED.

The iPhone 12 was a disaster and managed to light its pixels for black. That’s never how any OLED panel should be.

The 12 was a total joke display wise.
100% agree and I remember the severe green tint that some people experienced. Apple skimped out on the batteries for the 12 series too; my capacity on the 12 PM dropped down to something like 88% after 9 months of typical use and I've never seen that with my other iPhones. I was actually glad to get rid of it

Reactions: Fred Zed

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
If it's true black then the pixels are turned off and your test wouldn't be indicative of uniformity issues

I did that , used 1-5%
The uniformity is still excellent. There is very little shadowy area near middle but it’s totally fine and very subtle. (iPhone 14 pm) My iPhone 12 is having a lot of clouding and bandingbon the same pattern. Also greys are washed out when using dark mode. It is still subtle but it is visible - especially compared to the 14 PM.

The first batches of screens seem good, but I have to admit my wife’s 14 PM whites are a tiny bit more yellow.

Overall the screen quality improved for the first production lot this year!

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I did that , used 1-5%
The uniformity is still excellent. There is very little shadowy area near middle but it’s totally fine and very subtle. (iPhone 14 pm) My iPhone 12 is having a lot of clouding and bandingbon the same pattern. Also greys are washed out when using dark mode. It is still subtle but it is visible - especially compared to the 14 PM.

The first batches of screens seem good, but I have to admit my wife’s 14 PM whites are a tiny bit more yellow.

Overall the screen quality improved for the first production lot this year!
Very glad to hear that and I agree that the screen batches are better this year. I read from Ross Young on twitter that BOE is contributing to 14 Pro Max panels and I wonder if that's related

If you are comfortable with it would you mind installing 3utools on windows and finding the build date for some extra data? Mine was built 9/4/2022. Waiting for an update to the app and perhaps we will be able to read if our displays are Samsung/BOE in the future.

Side note but there is a separate thread on this forum for yellow displays and you might be interested in that for your wife's 14 PM

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
Very glad to hear that and I agree that the screen batches are better this year. I read from Ross Young on twitter that BOE is contributing to 14 Pro Max panels and I wonder if that's related

If you are comfortable with it would you mind installing 3utools on windows and finding the build date for some extra data? Mine was built 9/4/2022. Waiting for an update to the app and perhaps we will be able to read if our displays are Samsung/BOE in the future.

Side note but there is a separate thread on this forum for yellow displays and you might be interested in that for your wife's 14 PM
Would love to help you but I don’t use windows anymore. If there is any app I can check. I am very happy with the screen this year.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Even though, I feel like my 13 had a perfect screen, and the 14 I got has a bit of uniformity, I just decided to keep it and not play the OLED lottery

orionmagalhaes

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
gentlemen, english is not my native language so i hope you understand me. I bought an IPhone 13 Pro Max a month ago and I'm also suffering from Gray Uniformity. I wanted your opinion. Is it acceptable? Media Agima? Should I take it to Technical Assistance? (the blue parts in the videos are an anomaly in the camera I was using, it doesn't actually happen)

Attachments

• AE770B24-7172-4741-9A85-0C6B462BF003.jpeg
    AE770B24-7172-4741-9A85-0C6B462BF003.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 36A081A0-116D-4B24-90C4-92DFE705F97A.jpeg
    36A081A0-116D-4B24-90C4-92DFE705F97A.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 9B11964A-246C-49F4-B650-93E31CA3B5D8.jpeg
    9B11964A-246C-49F4-B650-93E31CA3B5D8.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 152

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
gentlemen, english is not my native language so i hope you understand me. I bought an IPhone 13 Pro Max a month ago and I'm also suffering from Gray Uniformity. I wanted your opinion. Is it acceptable? Media Agima? Should I take it to Technical Assistance? (the blue parts in the videos are an anomaly in the camera I was using, it doesn't actually happen)

View attachment 2099709

View attachment 2099710
I honestly don’t think that looks bad at all. I think you should keep it. Take it from someone who has tried 3 14PM. There is no perfect screen.

Reactions: orionmagalhaes

orionmagalhaes

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
Kindly thank you. I believe that in the future we can create evaluations for OLED displays, since we know it's a lottery haha. I agree with you guys, I shouldn't play the oled lottery and maybe get an even worse one. Even more because my screen would be changed, they wouldn't change the cell phone.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Kindly thank you. I believe that in the future we can create evaluations for OLED displays, since we know it's a lottery haha. I agree with you guys, I shouldn't play the oled lottery and maybe get an even worse one. Even more because my screen would be changed, they wouldn't change the cell phone.

it’s up to you my friend. If in the daily use that thing bother you think about an exchange (they will replace the whole device with a refurbished one).

BUT: play the lottery is so frustrating. So if you think that your eyes will get accustomed to that little red spot don’t go through an exchange.

Give yourself few days to test and decide.

Reactions: orionmagalhaes

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
My 14Pro has one issue, which I saw when scrolling in settings … almost like a horizontal super faint line right in the middle. It’s hard to see on static white image but scrolling you can, if you catch it just right. Brightness about 35%, dark mode off, no True Tone or night mode.

I had this on a 12Pro as well. Anybody have that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.