Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applepudd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2022
DE5259B4-0FBC-42A4-9066-9CD6866301D0.jpeg
F61454C0-A406-4ACB-9B24-453EC478E37A.jpeg
I recently made the switch to iPhone.

the switch hasn’t been what I expected in terms of build quality.

my phone is few months old, has never been dropped or been in the water but the stainless steel camera rings on this waterproof phone are already showing spots of rust.

the colour on the front of the stainless steel rails is also already faded.

I've raised my concerns in the Apple Store where Apple told me this is considered normal wear and no action will be taken.

I just wanted to warn anyone considering getting a (in my case siërra blue) iPhone 13 pro.

Applepudd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2022
It’s in the bathroom to play music but doesn’t go with me in the shower.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
if that’s the case I would still be sorely disappointed in the build quality.

If it can’t handle 10 minutes in a humid environment a day what happens if you live a sub tropical environment?
It would be more likely to rust if you let it air dry after your shower, as opposed to drying it off yourself. I live in SW Florida which is considered a tropical environment, and I haven't heard of this happening to the few people I know who own 13 Pros (anecdotal and a small sample size, I know). Or it could simply be you got one of a bad batch. Hard to know for sure.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I think it has more to do with the high humidity environment you’re placing your phone in than anything else. I have never had any of my iPhones rust and I have washed the IP67/68 models under water regularly but never placed them in a humid environment.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
if that’s the case I would still be sorely disappointed in the build quality.

If it can’t handle 10 minutes in a humid environment a day what happens if you live a sub tropical environment?
As someone here once explained, the iPhone (current models) is waterproof. The problem is that water vapor, such as what you'd get as steam from a shower, is fine enough (small enough) to slip past the water proof barrier.

In other words, the phone is water proof, not gas/steam proof.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It’s in the bathroom to play music but doesn’t go with me in the shower.
I get around that by using a Bluetooth speaker. I like listening to music or podcasts too while showering so I can understand the temptation to bring your phone into the bathroom.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The anodizing on the 13 series is super thin. Like microscopic. Others have complained of chipped off color along the edges and speaker grill

• Sad
Reactions: 5105973

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Same sort of people who end up with a cracked screen the day after they get it.

Stick the damn thing in a case.
While I agree that people who refuse to use cases and screen protectors haven’t got a leg to stand on when their phones get chips, dents and more serious damage, I have seen instances where the paint appears to peel and fall off the rear camera module though no apparent fault of the user.

This hasn’t happened to me though on any of my iPhones but I have seen people post about it on here who claim to use cases.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
While I agree that people who refuse to use cases and screen protectors haven’t got a leg to stand on when their phones get chips, dents and more serious damage…
I'll just say that as a non-case user I have three pristine iPhones (iPhone 5, iPhone 6s+ and iPhone 11 Pro Max) and a pristine Android (Pixel 3a XL).

That said, the 5 is the fourth replacement due to a bad speaker and swelling batteries, and the 11 Pro Max I now have was made in March 2022. It was sent to me as a replacement for the 11 Pro Max I dropped and destroyed the back glass and front screen on about a week ago.

The 6s+ has survived intact, like new, since September 2015 when I got it. The Pixel, likewise since May 2020. The only thing that's been replaced on the 6s+ is the battery and that was November 2021.

View attachment 2002294 View attachment 2002295 I recently made the switch to iPhone.

the switch hasn’t been what I expected in terms of build quality.

my phone is few months old, has never been dropped or been in the water but the stainless steel camera rings on this waterproof phone are already showing spots of rust.

the colour on the front of the stainless steel rails is also already faded.

I've raised my concerns in the Apple Store where Apple told me this is considered normal wear and no action will be taken.

I just wanted to warn anyone considering getting a (in my case siërra blue) iPhone 13 pro.
Wow! This is definitely a manufacturing defect. Not sure why Apple is not taking accountability for it. Have you tried calling Apple support and talking to an SR? Advisor? Also, did you get Apple care + with your iPhone.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I'll just say that as a non-case user I have three pristine iPhones (iPhone 5, iPhone 6s+ and iPhone 11 Pro Max) and a pristine Android (Pixel 3a XL).

That said, the 5 is the fourth replacement due to a bad speaker and swelling batteries, and the 11 Pro Max I now have was made in March 2022. It was sent to me as a replacement for the 11 Pro Max I dropped and destroyed the back glass and front screen on about a week ago.

The 6s+ has survived intact, like new, since September 2015 when I got it. The Pixel, likewise since May 2020. The only thing that's been replaced on the 6s+ is the battery and that was November 2021.
Well you “dropped and destroyed” your iPhone 11 PM which was wholly avoidable had you applied a screen protector and a case. I have dropped my iPhone 8 and iPhone Mini countless times and neither have any damage to the rear or front glass due to the protection I use. All my old phones are pristine but have been dropped many times.

Most people aren’t as careful and considerate as you, either. I see broken screens and cracked glass all the time.

I am for personal choice though as these devices are mere machines after all. I just do not have any sympathy for people who refuse to use protection and accidentally destroy their phones. It’s a costly mistake but if you are happy to pay for AppleCare+ and the excess cost for the repairs or replacements, that’s your decision. I just want a hassle free phone experience in the knowledge that I won’t have to seek any repairs or replacements or pay additional costs through the lifetime of my phone.

That’s why I use cases and screen protectors.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I know the metal band around the outside edge is SS but not sure those rings are stainless. SS doesn't usually corrode like that.
The rings most certainly are. On silver/polished iPhones the frame and rings have the same appearance, it scratches and looks just like ss.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well you “dropped and destroyed” your iPhone 11 PM which was wholly avoidable had you applied a screen protector and a case. I have dropped my iPhone 8 and iPhone Mini countless times and neither have any damage to the rear or front glass due to the protection I use. All my old phones are pristine but have been dropped many times.

Most people aren’t as careful and considerate as you, either. I see broken screens and cracked glass all the time.

I am for personal choice though as these devices are mere machines after all. I just do not have any sympathy for people who refuse to use protection and accidentally destroy their phones. It’s a costly mistake but if you are happy to pay for AppleCare+ and the excess cost for the repairs or replacements, that’s your decision. I just want a hassle free phone experience in the knowledge that I won’t have to seek any repairs or replacements or pay additional costs through the lifetime of my phone.

That’s why I use cases and screen protectors.
I'm not implying I've never dropped my phones before. I ended dropping my HTC Touch Pro once and in picking it up I kicked it and sent it flying. This was face down on concrete.

I have dropped my 5 and dented a corner. My 6s+ has some micro scratches because I dropped it getting into the car, there is a sliver of metal taken out of my iPad bezel because it hit the bed frame when I dropped it in bed.

But the only time I cracked glass was with an iPhone 6+ and this 11 Pro Max. In both cases I was not feeling well when it happened and therefore not paying attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021

Sure that your 11 Pro is new and made in March of this year?
I got a replacement some 9 months ago and I noticed fairly quickly that it was a refurbished model. I’m not really mad, I’m fortunate to have it, but I’m also a little stumped about its quality.

Last edited:

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Do you live near a coastal area? Sea spray/sea fog in the air will rust stainless steel pretty quickly.

Stainless steel doesn't spot like that in normal environmental conditions, so you either left drips of water on it for many hours, or you have salt/acid in your environment that's making it corrode in a short amount of time.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sure that your 11 Pro is new and made in March of this year?
Sure? No. But Chipmunk Serial says this:

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 14.11.46.jpg

I got a replacement some 9 months ago and I noticed fairly quickly that it was a refurbished model. I’m not really mad, I’m fortunate to have it, but I’m also a little stumped about its quality.

So far I haven't had any issues. I broke my phone on a Wednesday and made an appt. at my local Apple store for the following day. They took my phone and sent it to their regional facility in Sparks, NV on a Friday. It was received there on a Monday, evaluated on a Tuesday and a replacement shipped overnight. I got that on the following Wednesday, exactly one week after I broke my phone.

Apple calls them remanufactured and does a whole bunch of QC with them that new phones don't get. So, if it is a 'refurb' I don't have any issues with it. It's direct from Apple, not my carrier store or any other third party.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems a bit heavier than the other one, but also has better balance in my hand. The previous phone seemed to be a bit more weighted towards the top half. I think that probably played a roll in my fumbling it. Anyway, I like the fact that it's a little heavier. It seems more solid to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.