Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Not necessarily it’s not. Metal prices are fluctuating so much and have been for a few years now and aluminium 6000 and 7000 has often cost more per kilo than stainless. On average they are about the same price at the premium end. In regards to the iPhone the stainless is more premium because it takes longer to process, so the cost for this is passed onto us. It’s also marketed as more premium too which then gives consumers like you the perception it’s more premium.
True. However, there has to be a difference in the base metal price (not the actual finish) for Apple to market it as such. Although Al is easily more recyclable than SS.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
True. However, there has to be a difference in the base metal price (not the actual finish) for Apple to market it as such. Although Al is easily more recyclable than SS.

It’s certainly a more eco friendly metal and that is what every aluminium supplier I deal with claims in their marketing. The problem arises when alloys are mixed up and not identified before recycling. I think the cycle times for stainless are around 4 times longer when machining it, so Apple will charge more for it. There also the higher tool wear and polishing than it needs whereas aluminium can be machined and dipped for anodising for more quickly. Both good materials, but it does annoy me when I see so many people on here suggest aluminium is rubbish.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It’s certainly a more eco friendly metal and that is what every aluminium supplier I deal with claims in their marketing. The problem arises when alloys are mixed up and not identified before recycling. I think the cycle times for stainless are around 4 times longer when machining it, so Apple will charge more for it. There also the higher tool wear and polishing than it needs whereas aluminium can be machined and dipped for anodising for more quickly. Both good materials, but it does annoy me when I see so many people on here suggest aluminium is rubbish.
I can't say Aluminum is rubbish/poor man's metal. It be crazy seeing as how it's even used in aerospace. Aluminum recycling has had a better understood process given that globally aluminum has been a metal we have used far more in the food industry vs SS, hence techniques are better developed around Aluminum.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

mssudheer

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2023
View attachment 2002294 View attachment 2002295 I recently made the switch to iPhone.

the switch hasn’t been what I expected in terms of build quality.

my phone is few months old, has never been dropped or been in the water but the stainless steel camera rings on this waterproof phone are already showing spots of rust.

the colour on the front of the stainless steel rails is also already faded.

I've raised my concerns in the Apple Store where Apple told me this is considered normal wear and no action will be taken.

I just wanted to warn anyone considering getting a (in my case siërra blue) iPhone 13 pro.

I am currently facing the same issue with my Apple iPhone. Even though, I have Apple Care+ support until April 2024, which is supposed to cover liquid damage and physical damage proved useless. Last month, I accidentally dropped my phone, resulting in multiple cracks on the front display. To my disappointment, they declined my service request, citing rusty/corroded screws as an "unauthorized modification." It's worth noting that there is no liquid damage on the phone, as confirmed by the support team.

After conducting extensive research, it appears that this is a recurring problem with Apple iPhones. The issue is not easily visible to the naked eye, but can be identified by holding the iPhone in a well-lit room with the bottom portion facing the light. By taking a high-clarity picture of the phone and enlarging it, the rusty screws become apparent. I have attached two reference pictures to demonstrate this.

I urge all iPhone users to check their devices for rusty screws, as it will void the warranty, and Apple will refuse to repair it, regardless of how high you escalate the matter. For more information, please refer to the following links:

I personally own an Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max and have encountered this issue firsthand.

Attachments

• Screw-Enlargged Close-Up.jpeg
    Screw-Enlargged Close-Up.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 68
  • iPhone.jpeg
    iPhone.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Had my 13 PM for 10 months now, not seeing any rust, then again I live Johannesburg (South Africa) which is typically dry and further inland, but I have been to the coast a few times with it.

Reactions: mssudheer

mssudheer

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2023
Had my 13 PM for 10 months now, not seeing any rust, then again I live Johannesburg (South Africa) which is typically dry and further inland, but I have been to the coast a few times with it.
You are lucky. Kindly keep an eye. I stay in Southern part of India, but phone was never in water though how it happened I have no clue. Seriously doubt there is some quality issues with Apple Screws/Case.

Reactions: Tsepz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.