Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
I don't understand what's wrong. I have a 14 Pro. I have made a clean install from scratch without backup.
I hav installed all my apps (not so much)

Disable AOD
Disable background refresh
No widgets on lock screen

I am at 92% after 45min of screen on and I reach 50% with 3 hours of screen.
I don't store photos on my phone so iCloud Photo is almost empty....

I cannot identify what's wrong and it was the same with my iPhone 13.
Can Homekit could be responsible ? iCloud ?..... don't know....

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
I don't understand what's wrong. I have a 14 Pro. I have made a clean install from scratch without backup.
I hav installed all my apps (not so much)

Disable AOD
Disable background refresh
No widgets on lock screen

I am at 92% after 45min of screen on and I reach 50% with 3 hours of screen.
I don't store photos on my phone so iCloud Photo is almost empty....

I cannot identify what's wrong and it was the same with my iPhone 13.
Can Homekit could be responsible ? iCloud ?..... don't know....
For me what changed the battery behavioiur A TON was checking my location services. I just switched them to: when the app is in use and feel the difference.
AOD still on but on a mostly dark wall
Background refresh off too.
So I am hoping the poor performance was first week and set up jitters. 😅

How long have you had the phone?

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
For me what changed the battery behavioiur A TON was checking my location services. I just switched them to: when the app is in use and feel the difference.
AOD still on but on a mostly dark wall
Background refresh off too.
So I am hoping the poor performance was first week and set up jitters. 😅

How long have you had the phone?

I have it since one week but I realize that my battery was also bad on my iPhone 13. So the issue is not hardware.
I am triyng to test something like disconnect from iCloud, disable location for Homekit.....
There is so many settings that it's very difficult to isolate the problem.

There is no strange in the battery section (except the graph !)
A friend of mine can have his screen active 2h before reaching 90% while I'm under 80% for the same use....

Reactions: CabanossiHead

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
I have it since one week but I realize that my battery was also bad on my iPhone 13. So the issue is not hardware.
I am triyng to test something like disconnect from iCloud, disable location for Homekit.....
There is so many settings that it's very difficult to isolate the problem.

There is no strange in the battery section (except the graph !)
A friend of mine can have his screen active 2h before reaching 90% while I'm under 80% for the same use....
There is three angles I think fr4om browsing several forums:

1. iOS 16 mgiht be the problem. Which would make sense since you had these troubles on the 13.

2. Your iphone has a serious battery problem

3. Location services, Background refresh and facebook make the drain worse. Locationservices should be on: when in use and nbackground refresh should be off. Also check if your email keeps looking for new mails. I set mine to every 30 minutes.

For me 3 helped tremendously from yesterday to today. Alas this is only my third day on this phone and people have said that the phone needs an adjustment phase.

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
There is three angles I think fr4om browsing several forums:

1. iOS 16 mgiht be the problem. Which would make sense since you had these troubles on the 13.

2. Your iphone has a serious battery problem

3. Location services, Background refresh and facebook make the drain worse. Locationservices should be on: when in use and nbackground refresh should be off. Also check if your email keeps looking for new mails. I set mine to every 30 minutes.

For me 3 helped tremendously from yesterday to today. Alas this is only my third day on this phone and people have said that the phone needs an adjustment phase.

If iOS 16 is the problem, why people have very good battery life with the same phone ?
My iPhone 14 had been installed from scratch (no backup) and a friend of mine used his backup (from many years) and has better battery life (x2 !).

I do not use backgournd refresh and very few location services

This morning, I made a test....

I have disconnect from iCloud and let him play a youtube video continuously.
The battery was very good. So I was thinking iCloud was the problem.
I connect it again to iCloud and for the moment, it's not very different. It seem to be correct.

I know that I am a switcher (i use twitter, then safari, then twitter again, then checking my mails,....) I don't know if the power consumption is very higher comparing to use a single app.....

I think investigation of this kind of issue need lot of time to isolate the root cause !
But forums are very helpful to get some ideas for investigate.....

Capture 1: yesterday with normal use
Capture 2: today with disconnect icloud from 7:00 AM to 11: AM and youtube watching 1h00, then connecting icloud and having almost normal use

Capture 3: on an iPhone 13 connected to my iCloud account but no apps installed, watching YouTube and safari with auto refresh webpage

Capture 1 Capture 2 Capture 3
MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png
MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png
MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg

Last edited:

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
Well your friend and you dont have the same phones nor the same backups.

He could have different apps, different setings, different data amounts.

Try turning of mobile whenever you use wifi.

Batteries can be produced faulty.

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
Well your friend and you dont have the same phones nor the same backups.

He could have different apps, different setings, different data amounts.

Try turning of mobile whenever you use wifi.

Batteries can be produced faulty.
I am sure that it's not a hardware issue because my iPhone 14 has the same battery life than my iPhone 13 and my colleague has always had a much better battery life on his phone !
So a software issue (my apps, my settings, my iCloud account ???) is responsible of this difference.

My last good battery life experience was in 2019 with my iPhone 11. I Could wait 1h30 of screen use before reaching 90% of battery. Since 3 years, 1h30 of screen >>> below 80%.

I was thinking that the guilty was Homekit but with my Capture 3 (iphone 13 connected to icloud), it's not matching !

Last edited:

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
I wonder...what brightness is your phone set up too?
I keep mine pretty low
I let it adjust automatically. I will test this parameter...

I have let my iPhone 13 on Safari at 100% brihtness
30 min = 5% lost

30min with 20% brightness = 3%

Last edited:

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Following the thread, with historic battery issues.
I’m never far away from a charger, so hardly ever a massive issue for me, but when compared with some other users battery duration, mine has always been quite poor…

As a rule of thumb, my phones reach 50% charge with around 2h30min of screen active time. By the end of the day, around 30% with around 3h30mins.
Bad, right?

I’m not a particularly heavy user. Hardly any games, or streaming videos. Mainly messaging, safari, social media, news apps, Tapatalk.
Location Services on for some things, but not everything.
Auto-Brightness on, brightness level around 40-50% most of the time.
Background App Refresh Off - but strangely, WhatsApp still regularly has a fairly large amount of background activity, like 30-45 mins a day?

This year I’ve been trying to address the issue: for the first time ever, didn’t restore my new phone (14 Pro) from an existing backup, which I’d done since my first iPhone (3G), to rule out a potentially corrupt backup.
No improvement.

Then, have been updating iOS with IPSW via Finder.
No improvement.

A couple of days ago, like someone suggested, deleted the Facebook app, and all Google made apps.
No improvement.

Just changed my iCloud Mail setting to Fetch every 30 mins instead of Push, as suggested above. Let’s see if that brings any joy…
Frustrating!!

Reactions: GoldenChild

CabanossiHead

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2022
Background App Refresh Off - but strangely, WhatsApp still regularly has a fairly large amount of background activity, like 30-45 mins a day?
I noticed that I had lots of activity too
Also I would rebvoot after such changes.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I noticed that I had lots of activity too
Also I would rebvoot after such changes.

Multiple reboots during all these changes.

Deleted WhatsApp, restarted, reinstalled.

Now Chat Backup stuck on 99%

More restarts, etc, left overnight, still at 99%.

Starting to suspect more and more WhatsApp is the root of some of my battery issues

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
This night, I have let:

My iPhone 14 with all my apps & settings but disconnected from iCloud
My iPhone 13 with nothing but connected to iCloud

They lose the same part of battery %.

Very strange.

I will try next night to let my iPhone 14 but connected to iCloud.
Perhaps it's a combination of apps/settings + iCloud which make my iPhone consuming more CPU / network ?

Now, I am testing both iPhones playing a Youtube video to see if there is a difference at the end.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
This night, I have let:

Very strange.

Perhaps it's a combination of apps/settings + iCloud which make my iPhone consuming more CPU / network ?

Now, I am testing both iPhones playing a Youtube video to see if there is a difference at the end.

How much percentage do you loose overnight?

What screen time do you get at the end of the day, with how much battery left?

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
This night, I have let:

Very strange.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
weirdly, the highest apps for battery use according to settings, is twitter 29% - fair does, scroll through it a lot.
Safari 17% - fair enough
then my banking app. 12%. despite when i show activity, it says 1m on screen, 21h57m background. so i hardly use it but it useds twice the battery any other app uses apart from twitter and safrari.

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France

043E6BEA-CB7A-4025-BB9A-6D1156E5AB27[1].png

Here my battery chart after a moderate use.
I know I am a zapper and I use lots of apps and switch very often between them (twiiter, instagram, safari, message) rather than a single use (a long time spent on twitter for example) and I don't know if this "zapper behaviour" can explain the situation but 4h30 of screen to reach 25% is very bad on an iPhone 14.

I've just let iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 13 playing the same video on youtube and they have lost the same % of battery (8%) for 1h20 playing. So it seems to be related to my use ?!?

I have not made the test of overnight loss on my iPhone 14 Pro (connected to icloud and with all my apps) but I will do next night.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
View attachment 2098902

Here my battery chart after a moderate use.
I know I am a zapper and I use lots of apps and switch very often between them (twiiter, instagram, safari, message) rather than a single use (a long time spent on twitter for example) and I don't know if this "zapper behaviour" can explain the situation but 4h30 of screen to reach 25% is very bad on an iPhone 14.

I've just let iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 13 playing the same video on youtube and they have lost the same % of battery (8%) for 1h20 playing. So it seems to be related to my use ?!?

I have not made the test of overnight loss on my iPhone 14 Pro (connected to icloud and with all my apps) but I will do next night.

So 4h30min with roughly 24% left.
Better than mine, but still not as good as a lot of other users.
Annoying, isn’t it??

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
So 4h30min with roughly 24% left.
Better than mine, but still not as good as a lot of other users.
Annoying, isn’t it??
Are you an apps zapper like me ?
I am never concentrated on one app for a long time. I often read twitter for 5 minutes, then check my mails, then going back on twitter, thnen checking my battery 😁😁😁, then checking the weather..... so perhaps it stresses the CPU more than using a single app.

And by doing this, I have noticed that if you open 10 apps in 10 seconds, it firstly count it as 10 min in battery graph (I think it correct the graph later to be more accurate).

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
What do you mean ?

Closing completely an app consumes more power than doing nothing.
And nobody does that (killing an app each time after using it even for 2minutes !).

The disturbing fact is that when I let my phone on one app it seems to be pretty ok.
The most annoying thing, is that when I have some little use of my iPhone and I see battery % going down.
For example, these two activites can have the same battery impact (~ 4%):
- watching 30min of youtube
-1min of SMS, 5min standby in my pocket, 2min twitter, 10min in my pocket, 2min on Safari, 10min in my pocket !

So 5min of screen use during 30min period can have the same impact than 30min with screen on ! Don't you notice that too ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.