Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Is it me or is this underwhelming Granted I don’t use my phone all that much throughout the day but that’s also in part to nurse the battery a little.

I charge overnight and am not interested in micromanaging charging. I have AOD on, widgets on, wallpaper off.
2h 40 min with a couple of hours of music 100-30% isn’t good at all. Battery life depends on a million factors but that is not good.

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
2h 40 min with a couple of hours of music 100-30% isn’t good at all. Battery life depends on a million factors but that is not good.
I figured...

Like I said, I'm not really interested in utilizing every single battery-saving technique to eke some % throughout the day but there is quite a difference in my 3 hours screen-on versus someone else's 9 hours+ that I see in this thread.

One thing I haven't tried but would be willing to do is to factory reset the phone and set it up as a new iPhone. I don't know if this method was suggested to solve for indexing or whatever, but I've had this phone since launch so I'm pretty sure my phone is no longer indexing. Could this possibly be a solution...? Or am I just stuck with a mediocre battery and software?

Reactions: jk73

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I figured...

Like I said, I'm not really interested in utilizing every single battery-saving technique to eke some % throughout the day but there is quite a difference in my 3 hours screen-on versus someone else's 9 hours+ that I see in this thread.

One thing I haven't tried but would be willing to do is to factory reset the phone and set it up as a new iPhone. I don't know if this method was suggested to solve for indexing or whatever, but I've had this phone since launch so I'm pretty sure my phone is no longer indexing. Could this possibly be a solution...? Or am I just stuck with a mediocre battery and software?
Is brightness too high? Instagram is a little heavy but it shouldn’t be the sole culprit of a 3-hour battery life. If every single setting is on, however, and brightness is high, then restoring probably wouldn’t help. That said, no iPhone on any iOS version - or any phone, for that matter, really - would have good battery life with high brightness and every single setting on.

I insist with brightness because it is typically the sole culprit of abhorrent battery life. Is signal too poor? That’s another culprit, but yeah, if brightness is high and everything is on that’s the issue. If brightness isn’t high, I’d tweak settings first and restore only if that doesn’t solve it.

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
Is brightness too high? Instagram is a little heavy but it shouldn’t be the sole culprit of a 3-hour battery life. If every single setting is on, however, and brightness is high, then restoring probably wouldn’t help. That said, no iPhone on any iOS version - or any phone, for that matter, really - would have good battery life with high brightness and every single setting on.

I insist with brightness because it is typically the sole culprit of abhorrent battery life. Is signal too poor? That’s another culprit, but yeah, if brightness is high and everything is on that’s the issue. If brightness isn’t high, I’d tweak settings first and restore only if that doesn’t solve it.
Thanks for letting me know about restoring.

I have brightness manually set to around 50%. It doesn't really ever get brighter except for cards & passes that temporarily set brightness to 100%. I don't use auto brightness but I see that tip to turn it on every time I check the battery usage page. I'll try using auto brightness for a couple of days and see if there's a material difference. Afterwards I'll try to play around with a few settings. As for signal, I think it's mostly 3/4 or 4/4 bars so I don't think there's an issue there.

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Thanks for letting me know about restoring.

I have brightness manually set to around 50%. It doesn't really ever get brighter except for cards & passes that temporarily set brightness to 100%. I don't use auto brightness but I see that tip to turn it on every time I check the battery usage page. I'll try using auto brightness for a couple of days and see if there's a material difference. Afterwards I'll try to play around with a few settings. As for signal, I think it's mostly 3/4 or 4/4 bars so I don't think there's an issue there.
You can use automatic brightness just set upper limit (sunlight) to 50% instead of 100%. I'm using default auto brightness and SOT is 6-7 hours, usually two days.

Reactions: jonhoy

vaadu

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
I have 14 pro and about 4-5h screen on time, usually 4h.

Livestream/videos with 5G makes phone really hot.

Livestream/videos with 4G makes phone sometimes hot.

Livestream/videos with wifi makes phone randomly hot.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Has anyone done a battery-related express replacement lately? Looks like I need to do so with a 14 Pro. Thanks.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Can someone explain to me why 14% of my battery usage is Home & Lock Screen when I don't even use AOD?... Man I don't really understand this phone.

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
Here 2 days of iPhone 14 Pro use.

77D3E743-C993-42AF-97C0-6DFCFC93F5F3.jpeg
36BA25F9-25F0-4E14-B985-52975249FD75.jpeg

Last edited:

wapvi

macrumors member
May 24, 2015
Can someone explain to me why 14% of my battery usage is Home & Lock Screen when I don't even use AOD?... Man I don't really understand this phone.
Most likely from notifications and widgets ?mine sits at 5%

vded

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Yesterday’s use with iOS 16.3 and 14 Pro. Seems extraordinary!! 90% of the time on WiFi.
Also, very different since first days of week with the new update.

2557867eca5edfc2b6f8249c6af170fe.png

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
Hi, is this good or bad? 14 pro.

Attachments

• C62D9C02-1612-4116-8F3B-2D459FEC9492.jpeg
    C62D9C02-1612-4116-8F3B-2D459FEC9492.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 177

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
My 14 pm still lasts a whole day but I have noticed a dip in battery life on 16.3. Not noticeable day to day but instead of getting 1,5-2 days I am getting 1-1,5

Reactions: GoldenChild

vded

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Very bad ! Your graph is completely different ! You can reach 4 or 5 hours with 50% usage..... For me, 4 or 5 hours equals to > 75% usage !

Nope, I can’t. Only if I’m watching YouTube videos on WiFi.
Too bad the update erased my previous usage. But as for today.

3b66f13578b277ad1d5f3377b838b9ae.png

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
Ah ok...
Yes, I have observed that if I let my iPhone playing a video on youtube, it's OK.
But the iPhone does not like at all when we often switch between apps (1min on mail, 2min on twitter, 5min of youtube, ....).

Another thing related to battery drain.
I have noticed that my iPad Air 2020 drops 6/7% per day even if it's disconnected from Wi-Fi.
But, if I disconnect it from iCloud, the battery drop only 3/4%.

I don't know how iCloud can be responsable while Wi-Fi disconnected ! This is an old topic for me beacause I have already change my iCloud account in 2019 and it has no effect. It seems that something related to iCloud is running even in offline, but I don't know what. I dont' know of it is the same for the iPhone because battery use is not comparable (losing 10% per day with no use is not preoccupant on an iPhone, but it is on an iPad).

If you have any clues.... One time, I though it was homekit.... but I have no proof ! And my wife has no problem on her iPad...

vded

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Ah ok...
Yes, I have observed that if I let my iPhone playing a video on youtube, it's OK.
But the iPhone does not like at all when we often switch between apps (1min on mail, 2min on twitter, 5min of youtube, ....).

Another thing related to battery drain.
I have noticed that my iPad Air 2020 drops 6/7% per day even if it's disconnected from Wi-Fi.
But, if I disconnect it from iCloud, the battery drop only 3/4%.

I don't know how iCloud can be responsable while Wi-Fi disconnected ! This is an old topic for me beacause I have already change my iCloud account in 2019 and it has no effect. It seems that something related to iCloud is running even in offline, but I don't know what. I dont' know of it is the same for the iPhone because battery use is not comparable (losing 10% per day with no use is not preoccupant on an iPhone, but it is on an iPad).

If you have any clues.... One time, I though it was homekit.... but I have no proof ! And my wife has no problem on her iPad...

Can’t help there, I’m having exactly the same issue with my iPad Pro M1 2021. Yesterday night left it with 30% battery and put it on airplane mode.
Just got it in my hands, had 25% battery, disabled airplane mode and connected to Wi-Fi and immediately dropped to 23%.
I’m tired to searching every time what it’s causing it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.